Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default NCAA to Southern Cal's M Williams: Uh, no.

The story is here.

My dismay is great. My commentary on this and the Bloom decision (on which we've had no discussion) is currently in the planning stages (and when written, will go up on the content portion of S-C.org)

Dave
Old 08-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I am torn on this. I hate, Nay, DESPISE USC, and am filled w/glee that if this has to happen, it's them. Or the Gators. Either one is fine.

But, at the same time, you can't blame Williams for following in Clarett's footsteps. He thought everything he was doing was perfectly okay. He should be allowed to play, imo.

The Bloom incident is crap. How can he not be allowed to take endorsements for skiing, but Q Carter, Weinke, etc etc, could play baseball and then come back to play football. The NCAA office is full of ***** ups.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:22 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I don't blame Williams for trying to play, but at the same time, the guy did know that if the appeals made it so that he couldn't enter the draft, he wouldn't be allowed back. I believe that he does accept that, so no, I don't think he should be allowed to play.

At the same time though, the NCAA needs to realize that these kids are going to try and come out when their value is peaking. They have nothing in place that allows for kids to test their market value. It's all or nothing. This is a much larger problem in college basketball, but with Clarett and Williams, it appears to be a problem that is growing with football.

Sure, NCAA football want their best players to remain, but it's completely going against what college is meant to do. College is supposed to prepare someone for the working world, they dropped the ball on Mike Williams as his stock will surely fall because of this.

Jerry Tarkanien and John Chaney have led the charge on this for years from the basketball end, I wonder if Pete Carroll will pick it up from the football end.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:11 AM   #4
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

It was inevitable as soon as he signed an agent. Too bad, gives me more of a reason to hate the NCAA aside from the BCS and hypocracy. Not horrible for Mike in reality, still will be a 1st round draft pick.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:19 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Williams knew there was a chance that if it fell through and he couldn't enter the draft, he wouldn't be able to go to USC. Yet, I still feel sorry for him because unlike Clarett, he didn't do anything wrong outside of hiring an agent. USC is deep at virtually evey position and sounded like they weren't counting on him being back.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Couldn't Mike Williams now go and transfer to an NAIA school? I know it's a huge step down from USC, but it's better than nothing (Marcus Dupree - if you remember him - did this back in the '80s) and he needs to stay in shape somehow.

Hey, I know if I were him this is what I'd do - and I would thumb my nose at the stuffed shirts of the NCAA as I did it!

Last edited by Anthony; 08-27-2004 at 07:48 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
pennstater89
Rookie Player

pennstater89 is on a distinguished road

The NCAA is already sending football players with 3 years playing time under their belts to the NFL (granted they graduated from college!), so the NCAA had to take a stand somewhere. The NCAA is saying "you hire an agent, you no longer can play college football". Personally, I think it's great because it sets a precedent for future Clarett's and Williams' to live by. Do I feel sorry for Mike Williams under his circumstances? Yes, but he'll survive. He's being made the example.
pennstater89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

1. Someone said he couldn't return to Southern Cal. I just wanted to clarify that he can indeed return to the school, but he cannot play for the football team.
2. If Williams wanted to play basketball (I'm assuming he could be the tenth guy off the bench, at worst), could he? Should he?

3. Basketball has an out for players in this circumstance, and has lately softened its stance for these players. They MUST soften their stance for football players as well, imo.

4. For the 8 Millionth time--- the NCAA and the BCS ARE NOT RELATED!!!! Please, people, seek counseling on this matter. There is no affiliation between the governing body of college athletics and the Bowl Championship Series. The BCS is an agreement between the television network ABC, the four bowl organizations Fiesta, Orange, Rose, and Sugar, and the Big Six Conferences (and, by association, those member university presidents). The NCAA does not and has not awarded a national championship in football, does not have a television contract in football, and has no purview over bowl games affiliations, aside from permitting their play (dates available, whether they can play, whether the bowl organization has the fiscal ability to pull off a game, etc.).

5. There is no college graduation requirement to enter then NFL. There is no high school graduation requirement to enter the NFL. The NFL ownership has a rule (to be strengthened in the next collective bargaining agreement, if not before) stating that an NFL player must be three years removed from the date at which he would have last been in high school.

6. I believe they would have allowed Williams back in IF there was some guarantee that Clarett would NOT try to re-enter the NCAA.

7. What of the seven or so high shcoolers who entered the draft but went undrafted? Are their dreams of playing college ball dashed? If so, this ruling will be appealed to death by those folks.

8. Isn't it time someone shredded the NCAA and started over? They change their rules on a whim. Their rules only make sense in a world where colleges don't get wealthy playing these games. It's time something changed, and I, for one, will happily throw molotov cocktails through the windows of the NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis to bring them down.

Okay, I was sort of joking about the molotov cocktails. Stink bombs?

Dave
Old 08-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

4. For the 8 Millionth time--- the NCAA and the BCS ARE NOT RELATED!!!! Please, people, seek counseling on this matter. There is no affiliation between the governing body of college athletics and the Bowl Championship Series. The BCS is an agreement between the television network ABC, the four bowl organizations Fiesta, Orange, Rose, and Sugar, and the Big Six Conferences (and, by association, those member university presidents). The NCAA does not and has not awarded a national championship in football, does not have a television contract in football, and has no purview over bowl games affiliations, aside from permitting their play (dates available, whether they can play, whether the bowl organization has the fiscal ability to pull off a game, etc.).

Dave
I know the two aren't connected as far as a national title goes, but, is it the NCAA that signs the contract w/the BCS? Wasn't it done so the NCAA wouldn't have to get their hands dirty w/the entire "we want a true national champion" business. Did i just hear this wrong?

Last edited by Dublin Mike; 08-27-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:37 AM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

2. If Williams wanted to play basketball (I'm assuming he could be the tenth guy off the bench, at worst), could he? Should he?
7. What of the seven or so high shcoolers who entered the draft but went undrafted? Are their dreams of playing college ball dashed? If so, this ruling will be appealed to death by those folks.

8. Isn't it time someone shredded the NCAA and started over? They change their rules on a whim. Their rules only make sense in a world where colleges don't get wealthy playing these games. It's time something changed, and I, for one, will happily throw molotov cocktails through the windows of the NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis to bring them down.

Okay, I was sort of joking about the molotov cocktails. Stink bombs?

Dave
2. I don't believe he could. Agents wipe everything. I could be dead wrong on this though.

7. I thought these players were going to the NFL because they couldn't get into NCAA because of academic or other requirements.

8. Yup.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
7. I thought these players were going to the NFL because they couldn't get into NCAA because of academic or other requirements.
Besides Oklahoma's blue chip running back, Adrian Peterson, who talked about going into the NFL Draft and never did, I'm pretty sure the high school players that entered were going to end up at D2 and D3 schools.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

From what I can recall those kids that declared for the draft were not even rated in the top 25 for their respective positions as college prospects let alone even on the NFL radar at that time. Chances are these kids were not attracting any major college interests so I doubt agents would want anything to do with them. They could probably get their eligibility restored if they did not have any dealings with an agent.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Mike-- No. Way back in the day, the NCAA attempted to get in the way of the conference's ability to sign TV contracts in football. The conferences sued, and won. The conferences live as conglomerates representing the constituent corporations, usually called universities and colleges. The role of conferences has been to do the business that best benefits its constituents.

One of the reasons Notre Dame refuses conference affiliation to this juncture is because they can sign larger TV contracts without sharing the ensuing revenue.

The NCAA has NO contract-signing authority, aside from the tournaments which it sponsors. The NCAA sponsors the basketball tournament, soccer tournament, yadda, yadda, yadda. Pretty much every NCAA-governed sport that ends in a tournament.

As we know, the universities oppose a Division I-A tournament in football. Hence, there is no NCAA-sponsored national champion in football, and no NCAA-signed television contract.

(Oh, and by the way, I'm okay with that.)

Dave