Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-06-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Staley questionable for tomorrow's game

Duce Staley has been downgraded to questionable for tomorrow's matchup with Philly after suffering a hamstring strain in practice on Friday. Team officials said Staley showed up for practice in worse shape than the team had anticipated. If he cannot go for tomorrow this could change the game quite a bit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1917597
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Indeed. It would be quite a feat for the Steelers to knock off the Pats and Eagles back-to-back, and without Staley, the chances are even slimmer.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:49 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The news gets even worse for the Steelers, in that Brian Westbrook is now expected to play after having been unofficially labeled doubtful early in the week.

No more curses in Philly; hey, I'm beginning to believe that Glinda, the good witch from The Wizard Of Oz, has taken the Eagles under her wing or something.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Staley is officially out for today's game and Bettis is expected to start.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 11-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Well, Staley being out is probably the thing that won the game for the Steelers today.

That and Donovan McNabb looking terrible. Game was eerily similar to the first two games of last season. The Eagles are throwing too much and need to establish the run, but I mean, Westbrook is coming off that injury, so that's going to be hard to do and it hasn't been easy since the start with half of their rushing attack out.

Steelers came into the game with a better gameplan, but most of that had to do with Bettis getting off to a great start. It's a shame the media will probably keep the Big Ben hype machine going after this one, but the win had little to do with him.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know that McNabb looked that terrible. The team as a whole did not play well. But, McNabb was not getting enough time to throw the ball downfield and when he was given time his guys were not getting open. But, watching that game one comes away thinking that the Eagles did not watch a minute of film in preperation for this game.

I did not like the Eagles chances in this one anyway. Westbrook was coming off the injury and did not participate in full workouts until Thursday. Plus, the Steelers are probably the team in the league that they do not match up well against this season.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:30 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

McNabb threw behind TO on at least two occasions that would have given the Eagles first downs, he also threw a terrible ball when TO was wide open down the field. That interception he threw to Farrior was horrible and he shouldn't have forced it.

I don't think they'll have a problem bouncing back from this.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the INT was a bad play and that was just Donovan pressing to make a play. I doubt McNabb forces that ball if it were a close game or the Eagles were ahead. I am not saying that he looked good by any stretch, but he did manage to hit 15-24 passes, and other than those couple of instances it is not like he was constantly throwing the ball all over the field the entire game.

I don't think they will have a problem bouncing back either they go down to Dallas for next week's MNF game. If they can't get up for that game then they may as well pack it in.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Well, he was 9 of 12 for like 40 yards at one point in the game. He was completing short passes for nothing, and a couple of those completions were balls thrown behind receivers.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:17 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The tempo and tenor of this game was established in the first two possessions of the game, I think.

The Steelers came out and rammed the ball down the Eagles' throats. I'm with Doug in believing that while Big Ben will get the biggest kudos undeservedly, the unsung heroes will remain unsung: the Offensive Line. The Steelers O line been thoroughly dominant these last two weeks, holding the pocket together very well for their rookie-who-doesn't-much-play-like-one QB and making gaping gashing even-a-fat,slow-puke-like-me-could-get-five-yards holes for their running back, regardless of whether that RB was Staley or Bettis, Haynes and Parker.

In the Eagles first possession, the Eagles ran for three yards, incomplete pass, sack of McNabb. And if you ask me, McNabb NEVER recovered from having been knocked off his game so early. It probably didn't help that he had a loud-mouth WR carping at him at some point in the game, but that, too, will receive more press than it deserves.

I'm still glowing. A great performance by the Steelers.

Dave