Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default I know it's a little bit early, BUT!

National Signing Day is in Feb!

Who's your school and how are they doing?

Last edited by digital7; 01-24-2006 at 11:46 AM.
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

Why school is Iowa.... And we actually are doing well..But not the 5 stars, ect. I guess with Kirk Ferentz you know that any recruiting class is going to be good . One 4 star recruit with is A.J. Edd's which is a LB but signed as a TE....Don't know why as we have Chandler and Moeaki(Wow....I cant wait till Moeaki's Senior year ). I'm excited about a couple of DE coming in which are Braylon Broughton and Julian Smith. And we also got a commitment from the # 2 kicker in the nation Ryan Donahue. Overall us Hawkeye fan's are excited about our commitments so far .
Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

My Wildcats landed Micah Johnson today, a four-star recruit from the Bluegrass!
Quote:
Rivals100 jumbo athlete Micah Johnson has given a verbal commitment to play football at Kentucky. The 6-foot-2, 267-pound Johnson, the No. 1 prospect in Kentucky, is the Wildcats' 18th verbal commitment for the class of 2006 and will be the highest rated high school prospect to sign with UK during Brooks' tenure and just the third rated four stars or higher.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Penn State has only eight verbals so far. The two studs of the class thus far are WR Chris Bell from Virginia and DT Tom McEowen from PA, both four stars. Penn State also has verbals from three star DT Ollie Ogbu, DE Eric Lattimore (Miami was after him hard) and DE/LB Aaron Maybin.

The Nittany Lions are still high on the lists of several top prospects. RB LeSean McCoy and OL Antonio Logan-El are the two five stars who some believe PSU already have silent verbals from.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I use rivals.com as my choice for recruiting news. Not a plug just helping some of our other members out in case they would like to know how to follow how their school's recruiting is coming along. If you want real info you do have to subscribe but, for the casual recruiting fan, you can get some good info for free.

The only thing the Gators have done to impress me thus far is to get a verbal commitment from 6-6 348 OL Carl Johnson out of North Carolina. Only because this marks the start of Meyers first recruiting class and he gets a 5 star verbal outside of Florida for his OL. Shows everyone what direction he's going in. He has Zooks guys playing in his system and is now making it clear he needs his own "types" of players to make his offence work in the SEC.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
digital7
Deep South

Miami picked up several key commitments early.. Im hoping we can snatch up some of the high end RB and WR recruits we've been hounding..

As of today we have highly recruited commitments in:

4 Star QB Patrick Devlin
4 Star WR Sam Shields
4 Star RB Javarris James (cousin of former Miami standout Edgerrin James)
4 Star OL John Fox

pretty solid early commitments for the Hurricanes from an otherwise underachieving recruiting coaching staff.

Also, a bit early to say, but it looks like we've almost locked up a few other prospects in:

4 Star CB Ryan Hill
4 Star RB Emmanuel Moody
4 Star CB Chavez Grant
4 Star DT Bryant Miller
and last but not least, the big boy 3 Star OL Orlando Franklin
Old 11-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

I like Rivals as well, I'm a subscriber at BlueWhiteIllustrated. I find Scout's lists and overall design seems to be a little bit less professional than that of Rivals.

Pat Devlin is going to be hell of a QB for the 'Canes. He has a cannon of an arm and is clearly the best QB in PA this year. However, JoePa has hinted that PSU is still recruiting another QB in this year's class. Other than already commited Brett Brackett, the only other known QB's to have offers from PSU are Isiah Williams and Devlin.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Does anyone subscribe to Rivals or just look at the free content?

USC has only 5 verbals, but their average recruit ranking is 4 stars (1 five, 3 fours, 1 three). The good thing a lot of the players in the Top 100 are still high on USC (Percy Havin, Andre Smith, LeSean McCoy, etc). A lot of elite players are coming here for the UCLA-USC game, so hopefully things will look up. I know it's very early, but USC is currently ranked out of the Top 25 in team recruiting.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:01 PM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

UGA is competing for the #1 spot, mostly behind the strength of the #1 QB in the nation, Matthew Stafford, who has already enrolled for Febuary classes, will be practicing this spring and may push for the starting job his freshman year.

Early commits look like this:

Five star-
Matt Stafford/QB

Four star-
Asher Allen/DB
Justin Anderson/OL
Quintin Banks/DB
Darrius Dewberry/LB
Darryl Gamble/LB
Akeem Hebron/LB
Kiante Tripp/OL
Tony Wilson/ATH
Brandon Wood/DE

Add 12 3 star guys, and UGAs recruiting class looks very good indeed. Like I said before, Stafford is the key. He could be big time in Athens.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Arizona has landed some nice recruits.

RB Derke Robinson (6'0, 196 pounds, 4*)
QB Tyler Lyon (6'5, 210 pounds, 3*, good protege for Willie Tuitama)
RB Glyndon Bolasky (6'0, 192 lbs, 3*)
FB/DE Brooks Reed (6'3, 225 lbs., 3*)

Stoops is also still in the running for JUCO DL Louis Holmes, but USC is hot after him, too. Another recruit I've read about is Conan Amituani, a 6'4, 280-pounder from Long Beach.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
I know it's very early, but USC is currently ranked out of the Top 25 in team recruiting.
I bet they pick up some recruits once guys like Steve Smith, Reggie Bush, and LenDale White decide what they are going to do and potentially what other guys decide to do at the schools they are considering. According to ESPN's recruiting info, compiled by Scouts, Inc., USC is still in the running for:

-Percy Harvin whom they have listed as the top WR.
-DeMarco Murray who is their top RB.
-Stafon Johnson who is the #2 back.
-Allen Bradford whois the #2 OLB.
-Tim Tebow the #3 QB.
-Jai Eugene the #2 CB.
-Gerald McCoy the number 2 DT.

Basically USC is supposedly in the running for just about every guy who is considered top five at his position who has not committed to anyone yet.

None of the local schools around here has really landed anyone of note but Duke typically never gets anyone worth mentioning, UNC hasn't had a top notch class in years, and NC State usually flies under the radar and then lands two or three pretty big names by February.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
digital7
Deep South

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Does anyone subscribe to Rivals or just look at the free content?
I'm subscribed to both Scout and Rivals. I find both of them pretty appealing and although they have more or less the same information, there are some pretty good articles worth reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Basically USC is supposedly in the running for just about every guy who is considered top five at his position who has not committed to anyone yet.
USC is so deep from recruiting the last two years that kids are starting to look into that program with a sense of reluctancy. Kids now-a-days want to start and play early. To them sitting on the bench as a redshirt then sitting down another year through their freshman year doesnt bode well for a lot of them because it takes away from being looked at -- even if they are on a winning team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
NC State usually flies under the radar and then lands two or three pretty big names by February.
I agree.. and I'd be hard pressed to say that NC State gets the best of the recruiting wars in North Carolina due to the lack of quality football programs in that state. Year in and year out I've noticed that Chuck Amato starts off slow and finishes strong when it comes to recruiting.. take example a couple of years ago when Bobby Washington was let go by the University of Miami for not being grade eligible. He did have several options to play at different schools including Florida, Alabama and Georgia Tech, but ended up signing with NC State. It just seems to be like that

Last edited by digital7; 12-02-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Amato landed Tremain Hall the same way. He got ruled ineligible and Amato swooped in and grabbed him.

Another thing that may be working a bit against USC as well is that the Pete Carroll going to the NFL rumors are starting to circulate again as well.

The problem with North Carolina football is that everyone wants to play basketball.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Penn State received a verbal commitment today from 4-star LB Navorro Bowman from Maryland. He chose PSU over Ohio State and Virginia Tech.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #15
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

USC picking up a couple four-star recruits the past few days with TE Anthony McCoy and LB Joshua Tatum.

Big day tomorrow, as Tebow announces his commitment. Most of the prognosticators have him going to Gainesville, which makes sense since his family is affiliated with the Gators. Also, the Flo rida backup QB (forgot his name) is transferring next season, which would move Tebow up the depth chart immediately.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote