Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #31
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

SoonerCenturion is on a distinguished road

Brady right now is head and shoulders above any QB in the NFL, and if he goes through this season and wins the Super Bowl you could make an argument for him to be the best of all time.

Romo is upper middle of the tier right now, even if he wins in the playoffs.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #32
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

To say that Brady is better than Joe Montana or Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas is a bit of a stretch right now. Brady is making quite a name for himself, but is not in the top group just yet.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #33
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post

A player's entire career is not determined by the playoffs but when you compare guys in the end those with a ring get the nod over those who don't. Dan Marino always gets pushed own the list because he never won a Super Bowl.
I agree completely with that statement, but nobody is arguing that Romo is better than most of the Super Bowl winners in the league currently. He's nowhere near Favre, Manning, and Brady, who else is there with a SB ring besides Big Ben that is still a starter?
After the Super Bowl I hope to release an article showing where QBs rank all time, but I'm sure you'll all argue with the grading system, which is all fine and good.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #34
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

The only reason that we are having this discussion is because Tony Romo plays for Dallas.

The whole "America's Team" crap is getting out of hand.

If Romo played for the Seahawks or the Bills we would consider him an average QB at best.

I consider him to be below Palmer, Brees,Big Ben, Hasselbeck, Eli, Mcnabb, and probably a couple of others. He has faltered terribly down the stretch the last couple of years, his December record is horrible, and January record is worse. I can not be impressed by a great October QB.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #35
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
I consider him to be below Palmer, Brees,Big Ben, Hasselbeck, Eli, Mcnabb, and probably a couple of others. He has faltered terribly down the stretch the last couple of years, his December record is horrible, and January record is worse. I can not be impressed by a great October QB.
You consider him below Eli, yet up until this season, Eli has consistently done the same thing Romo has, in that he has played great in the first half of the season, and then falters when the games matter most. The only reason Eli has been good at the end of this season is because the running game has stepped up and they are relying more on that than Eli to carry the team.

I know Romo is nothing spectacular like ESPN makes him out to be, and that he still has a lot of learning to do in this league, and with the "what have you done for me lately" mindset of Jerry Jones, if Romo doesnt step it up and win some meaningful games, id look for Jones to draft a QB.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #36
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
To say that Brady is better than Joe Montana or Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas is a bit of a stretch right now. Brady is making quite a name for himself, but is not in the top group just yet.
I'm not so sure about that. I think if he wins this year, he'll be tied for the MOST Superbowls wins of any QB... and then throw in all his records... and then the fact that he is only 30 and we could be in for much. much. more.
How many QB's could retire at the age of 30 with only 7 years as a starter in the NFL and STILL be a LOCK for the HOF? Answer: Zero!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #37
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I think if he wins this year, he'll be tied for the MOST Superbowls wins of any QB... and then throw in all his records... and then the fact that he is only 30 and we could be in for much. much. more.
How many QB's could retire at the age of 30 with only 7 years as a starter in the NFL and STILL be a LOCK for the HOF? Answer: Zero!
We have a winner here! Brady wins it all this year you HAVE to throw his name into that hat for best of all time.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #38
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
I agree completely with that statement, but nobody is arguing that Romo is better than most of the Super Bowl winners in the league currently. He's nowhere near Favre, Manning, and Brady, who else is there with a SB ring besides Big Ben that is still a starter?
After the Super Bowl I hope to release an article showing where QBs rank all time, but I'm sure you'll all argue with the grading system, which is all fine and good.
I have to ask if you ever watch any coverage of the Cowboys at all? Do you listen to the commentators who keep insisting he is the next Brett Favre? That is why everyone claims he is overrated.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #39
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
I have to ask if you ever watch any coverage of the Cowboys at all? Do you listen to the commentators who keep insisting he is the next Brett Favre? That is why everyone claims he is overrated.
I don't think Romo has anywhere near the toughness Favre has. Favre could be 65 and still out there slinging the ball.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #40
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He is overrated because people are claiming he is the next Brett Favre and you don't believe he is. Ok. If you think that's why he's overrated, because he won't be the best quarterback of all time, then yes he's overrated, I'll give you that. I don't think comparing Romo to Favre means people think he'll have the career Favre has had, simply that he plays like Favre and is a good playmaker. His career will probably be half as long, so he won't be in any record books, and he'll probalby get injured and not be the absolute iron man. Are people expecting that from him? To play 16 years and start in 200+ games straight? I've never heard anyone say that. If they are expecting that of him he's overrated, but I don't think they are. I think they're expecting him to play like Favre, in a crazy way and find a way to win games in spite of it, maybe even a playoff game, maybe even a Super Bowl.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #41
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Steve Peyton could retire at the age of 30 and be a lock HOF Brady isn't the only guy ever that could do that. I do believe Brady is going to have a strong case as the greatest of all time.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #42
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
Steve Peyton could retire at the age of 30 and be a lock HOF Brady isn't the only guy ever that could do that. I do believe Brady is going to have a strong case as the greatest of all time.
Who is Steve Peyton? Never heard of him??? Oh you meant Peyton Manning... I'm not sure about that only because Peyton Manning did not win his SB until his 8th year in the NFL... And he may have been 31?

I guess I was looking at it like this.. (if New England wins the SB this season)
Brady's career from 2001 - 2007 (4 Superbowls - records) 30 years old
would equal
Manning's career from 1998-2004 (0 Superbowls - records) 30 years old

Would Manning still be a lock?

Quote:
The worst part was when he made that shovel pass and they immediaty cut to footage of Favre in the Seattle game where he made a pass like that too and Aikman (I think) said "Does he remind you of anyone?". That almost made me puke!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

I think so his numbers are staggering. He would be a HOF lock. You don't think manning was a lock until last year. That's crazy.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #44
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
I think so his numbers are staggering. He would be a HOF lock. You don't think manning was a lock until last year. That's crazy.
Yeah, I think you're right.. You win this round New Yorker!!! ha ha
Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #45
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

Don't get me wrong Brady is Higher on my list then Peyton. But they were both HOF caliber after seven years.