Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #136
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well of course Garrard was "impressive" against the Patriots - because the Patriots, deathly afraid of being steamrolled by Jacksonville's running game, were shoving eight and even nine guys in the box on just about every play. You or I could have had the same stats as Garrard under those circumstances.

And what about the week before, against Pittsburgh? The Jags won that game in spite of Garrard - not because of him.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #137
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I'll buy simply because if Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon, Stan Humphries, and Mark Rypien can manage to get teams to a Super Bowl then there is no reason Garrard could not do the same at some point in his career.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #138
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

I'll buy, but not in the AFC for the next 5 years.
If Garrard goes to the NFC, he could lead a team very quickly to a title game, maybe even a Super Bowl, but with Patriots, Colts, Chargers, and Steelers with such solid teams, it will be tough to break through all those teams for a "deep playoff run."
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #139
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

SoonerCenturion is on a distinguished road

I agree with Andrew Jones, as long as the Pats and Colts play like they are right now, no one else really has a shot at the Superbowl.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #140
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I'm 50/50 there... Jax already beat PIttsburgh at home in the regular season when Pitt was ful strength. I'm not sold on SD just yet... but NE and Indy are a cut above - but hey, SD beat Indy. But who knows how Indy will be if they lose Dungy (that could be our next topic hint-hint)

Last edited by boston_aloha; 01-17-2008 at 01:42 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #141
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
I'll buy, but not in the AFC for the next 5 years.
If Garrard goes to the NFC, he could lead a team very quickly to a title game, maybe even a Super Bowl, but with Patriots, Colts, Chargers, and Steelers with such solid teams, it will be tough to break through all those teams for a "deep playoff run."
Well, they beat the Steelers twice at Heinz Field this year, beat the Chargers, they played the Colts within 3 the second time around, and if Dungy does in fact step down all bets are off on the Colts until we see how the replacement pans out. One can easily make an argument that they are the 3rd best team in the AFC right now.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #142
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

But did David Garrard win these games - or did Fred Taylor, Maurice Jones-Drew and the defense win these games?

And how many times this year did the Jaguars win a game in which they trailed by more than a touchdown at any point?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #143
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
But did David Garrard win these games - or did Fred Taylor, Maurice Jones-Drew and the defense win these games?

And how many times this year did the Jaguars win a game in which they trailed by more than a touchdown at any point?
Garrard had a huge part in winning those games / keeping Jax in the lead by not making mistakes like a lot of young QB's do. Do I think he'll throw for 4,000 yards or 30 TD's in a season? No. But with his current fit in Jax I do believe he has a shot at an AFC game.

I thought the Jags had a decent shot at beating any team in the AFC (besides New England) this season. If they seeded differently and did not have to face NE in the divisional round they may have made it.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #144
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

The point is Garrard does not lose games for you and history has shown that as long as you can run the ball and play strong enough defense you can win a Super Bowl with a QB who manages games and does not turn the ball over.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #145
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The point is Garrard does not lose games for you and history has shown that as long as you can run the ball and play strong enough defense you can win a Super Bowl with a QB who manages games and does not turn the ball over.
Just to name a couple in the last decade...
Roethlisberger
Dilfer
B. Johnson
Old 01-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #146
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Ok, we've seen a few new head coaches (Miami, Baltimore, Atalanta, Oakland ____ , Washington)

Buy or Sell one of those new coaches will take their team to the Divisional round of the playoffs next season?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #147
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

Sell.
Miami, Atlanta, and Oakland are too terrible of teams to make it next season. Baltimore may have a chance, but I don't have confidence in Harbaugh who is a defensive expert to do much with a team who needs better play calling.
Washington has a shot as well, but I think this season they were riding on the adrenaline of emotion with the death of Taylor. That will be gone next season (or at least slightly diminished). Dallas and New York will remain on top of the division and the Redskins will drift downward.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #148
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I was thinking the same thing... I only gave Washington and Baltimore a shot at MAYBE reaching the playoffs... but thats why I went with the Divisional Round instead... they may make a Wild Card appearence. So I SELL as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #149
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

BUY the Atlanta Falcons...

Mike Smith will rejuvinate this franchise and the Falcons WILL be in the NFC Championship Game next season...
Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #150
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal_88 View Post
BUY the Atlanta Falcons...

Mike Smith will rejuvinate this franchise and the Falcons WILL be in the NFC Championship Game next season...
What are you like Mike Smith's cousin or nephew or something? You are the only person I have heard who thinks Smith was a great hire for the Falcons. The consensus on him seems to be that the Jags won't really miss him because Del Rio is really the guy who runs the defense in Jacksonville.

The Falcons need more than just a quality coach to get them over he hump next year. Their o-line is mediocre at best, one player had 40% of the teams sacks, Crumpler and Dunn have both seen better days and I doubt any team led by Joey Harrington or Byron Leftwich will ever lead a team to a conference championship game. The Falcons simply do not have the talent to compete with the NFC's best teams. Vick's playmaking abilities covered up a lot of deficiencies on the Falcons.