Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who 'ya got?
New York Giants 4 26.67%
New England Patriots 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #61
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

This result just sucks money crap.

Even though I believed it would happen, that the Giants would
end up wrecking EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY, here's three reasons
I'm not tuning into ANYTHING related to football for the next
eight months...

1) We're going to have to see, and hear about, all the programs,
specials, DVD's, etc., bragging about how great a second rate wild
card team, who lost SIX GAMES during the season, but pulled off
some major upsets in the playoffs, is.
2) Don Shula's mouth is going to continue to run on, and on, and on,
and on, and on...
...and on...
3) As someone else said earlier, having to incessantly hear the
"G-G-G-G-G-MEN".
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #62
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
This is the freaking National Football League. In the late 1800's it was known as the NFL. And I be damn if a team in this day and age of superior athletes can go 19-0.
Remember where you heard it kiddies. Giants pull off the upset of the ages.
Where's the love? I stuck my neck out and for what?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:46 AM   #63
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabramoff View Post
This result just sucks money crap.

Even though I believed it would happen, that the Giants would
end up wrecking EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY, here's three reasons
I'm not tuning into ANYTHING related to football for the next
eight months...

1) We're going to have to see, and hear about, all the programs,
specials, DVD's, etc., bragging about how great a second rate wild
card team, who lost SIX GAMES during the season, but pulled off
some major upsets in the playoffs, is.
2) Don Shula's mouth is going to continue to run on, and on, and on,
and on, and on...
...and on...
3) As someone else said earlier, having to incessantly hear the
"G-G-G-G-G-MEN".

Ask Bills and Jets fans if they feel everything has been ruined; their teams now have very real chances of winning the AFC East next year!

Yes, I believe in the Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx - and I'll believe in it until the day that six dudes walk slow with me.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #64
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Well after the game ended I really didn't care because I was pretty wasted by then. But after I sobered up Monday morning reality set in.... what a waste of a season!!

I thought the O-Line was a letdown, and Defense lost it on that last drive - they could of had about 3 INT's and dropped them.

Brady came through on his last drive when he needed to and all the "D" had to do was step up on one play (like they had been doing all season).

Sucks.....
Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #65
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well after the game ended I really didn't care because I was pretty wasted by then. But after I sobered up Monday morning reality set in.... what a waste of a season!!

I thought the O-Line was a letdown, and Defense lost it on that last drive - they could of had about 3 INT's and dropped them.

Brady came through on his last drive when he needed to and all the "D" had to do was step up on one play (like they had been doing all season).

Sucks.....
Yeah it sucks to see your heavily favored team lose to the Giants in the biggest game of the year. And watching your QB outplayed by Eli frickin' Manning hurts. I feel bad for you though, because you won't have the pleasure of watching the Giants beat another better team to make you feel alot better...

There will always be next year, the Celtics are still looking really good and the Red Sox look poised for a repeat, and even the Bruins are likely going to the playoffs,so, I don't feel horrible about the Patriots loss, however. You've been spoiled by the state of Boston athletics. You actually needed a disappointment like this to bring you back down to earth, with the rest of us.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 AM   #66
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Ha ha... nice post man... funny you say that - I was talking to my mom today and I said "feels like it should in Boston" (meaning a HUGE letdown in the playoffs).

Oh well... there's always next season. Hopefully New England loses their season opener and then runs the table!! :lol: 18-1 all over again, but a better ending!!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #67
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Heh, good philosophy there! I've seen someone on another board say he wouldn't trade 18-1 with a SB win for the 16-0 regular season. I suppose I understand a little of where he is coming from, but it still sounds like rationalization to me The Pats should be right in it again next year, if they keep most of the team intact. That, of course, is the question of the offseason.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #68
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
The Pats should be right in it again next year, if they keep most of the team intact. That, of course, is the question of the offseason.

Just like the Falcons should have been "right in it" in 1999?

And the Giants in 2001?

And the Rams in 2002?

And the Raiders in 2003?

And the Panthers in 2004?

And the Eagles in 2005?

And the Bears in 2007?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #69
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

Anthony is right on. The NFL is quite unpredictable as to who will come out firing and who will come out slumping. This is especially true of whoever loses the Super Bowl. I think the Patriots will still be good next season, but lets face it, their linebacking core is getting older by the second. They are not immortal and injury or just plain slowing down are inevitable in the near future.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #70
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Any LBs that the Pats can take at #7 in the draft?

Or are they gonna address another spot?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #71
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Had they won the SB I would have expected them to trade away their #7 for someone's #1 next year... but now I wonder if in fact they'll draft #7. but who knows?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #72
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Anthony is right on. The NFL is quite unpredictable as to who will come out firing and who will come out slumping. This is especially true of whoever loses the Super Bowl. I think the Patriots will still be good next season, but lets face it, their linebacking core is getting older by the second. They are not immortal and injury or just plain slowing down are inevitable in the near future.
Actually, Andrew, I believe Anthony is saying that the NFL is quite predictable: the Super Bowl loser is in trouble.

Personally, I don't believe in curses, and I think the problems that have plagued a few Super Bowl runners-up in recent years are mostly coincidence.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 AM   #73
Anthony

Brad is right, in that I do believe there is an undeniable pattern - of more than a "few" years' duration - of teams losing the Super Bowl one year and utterly falling apart the following year.

But the current Patriots share special common ground with one of the teams on my list - the 2002 Rams: First off, the Rams were double-digit favorites in the Super Bowl they lost, as were the 1968 Colts (no playoffs in 1969 and their worst regular-season finish since 1963), the 1969 Vikings (first-round playoff losers in 1970) and the 1997 Packers (first-round playoff losers in 1998). In 2002, when the Rams started 0-5 on their way to a final record of 7-9, there was a near-monotonous agreement among sources close to them that they simply couldn't move on from their upset loss in the previous year's Super Bowl.

Also, ask yourselves this question: Further Spygate-related sanctions aside, what is the most plausible scenario under which New England could collapse in 2008? The answer is obvious: An injury to Tom Brady; but after what we saw this past Sunday, exactly how unrealistic is that?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #74
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think your on to something but I don't think the demise will be because of a Tom Brady injury I think it will be because of Bill Belllicheck Retireing because of the Spy Gate heat.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #75
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Any LBs that the Pats can take at #7 in the draft?

Or are they gonna address another spot?
Laurinitis was the only draft-eligible LB who was considered a consensus top 10 prospect so I doubt they take a LB as the next best prospects seem to be showing up as late first rounders or early second rounders depending on what sites you go to.

My guess is that unless they see a lineman they really like they'll probably go for the top corner in the draft as it is being widely speculated that they are going to let Asante Samuel walk via free agency so they can have the money to re-sign Moss.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote