Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road
Default This is why baseball sucks....

It is unfathomable to me that the Yankess will pay MORE in luxory tax than the Devil Rays will have in entire base salary next year!

And they are STILL trying to get Randy Johnson and Carlos Beltran, so that tax will probably top some more team salary's.

Unbelievable. Baseball is gonna follow hockey right into oblivion pretty soon.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Only if people stop paying the ticket prices that the Yankees, Red Sox, etal charge.
I'm not too concerned as long as there are over 2 million fans attending even the White Sox games this season.
Seriously, baseball does need some financial constraints on some of the owners. If King George is willing to pay over a million to every team, more power to him.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

This whole unbalanced team salary bothers me too, and I hope baseball decides to go in a different direction. But, my loyalty is still to baseball over all other sports.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Surely the Yankee's cannot continue to abuse the luxury tax as it rises each year. So this year they are paying 25% and next year they are almost certain to pay 40% tax. Even the Yankee's cannot afford to pay this with that kind of percentage rise each year. I remember reading last year that with the size of the payroll and the luxury tax bill, the Yanks would only turn a small profit in 2004. With barely any prospects left in the farm system and a payroll closing in on 200 million dollars. The Yankee's must be heading for a big financial fall.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I'm just hoping the Braves will win a 14th straight division title and then get beat in the first round. Cuz that is what I look forward to in the mlb season is the braves getting beat out in the first round every year.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Your boys lost J.D. Drew. I'm not a big fan of his personality, but the guy can flat out play. You've got some trouble in right field, I'm afraid.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Dude we always win the division. It's a lock
Old 12-31-2004, 12:21 AM   #8
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kornbix
I'm just hoping the Braves will win a 14th straight division title and then get beat in the first round. Cuz that is what I look forward to in the mlb season is the braves getting beat out in the first round every year.
I have to admit it, assuming this post was dripping with sarcasm like I read it to be, this was the funniest thing I've read in a while.

To stay on point, I don't want to say baseball sucks, but this is getting ridiculous. The last two season, the Red Sox and Yankees have battled it out for a trip to the World Series and combined for about $300 million in salary. I like Randy Johnson, but I sure hope he sucks something awful this season.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:25 AM   #9
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Randy is an awesome pitcher I must say but damn he is the ugliest man not only in baseball, but in all of sports.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:31 AM   #10
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Hmmm....that's actually an interesting topic you brought up...I'm going to go with Vijay Singh as the ugliest professional athlete, at least until he gets the mole removed.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:46 AM   #11
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Yeah but damn Randy got those skin wrinkles and the Mullet and this ugly oooo its scurry. Vijay is just ugly too ya know. Strahan boy that gap tooth is killer. And Divac cant forget him

Oh yeah and beanie luv ur avatar that show rocked when it was on. know of everyone where you can watch the show because I sure would love to see it again
Old 12-31-2004, 01:40 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

If you have digital cable, and an "on demand" option, check Comedy Central on demand. Occasionally I see an episode there.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Let the whining begin! A team fighting to finish in the "first division" - or even to stay out of the cellar - was enough to stimulate fan interest half a century ago, but obviously not today.

If you're a Devil Rays fan, root for the Yankees when the Yankees are playing the Blue Jays. If you're a Royals fan, root for the Yankees when the Yankees are playing the Tigers. That's a far healthier approach.

But of course that's not how it works in this day and age - and if you want to know why not, I recommend an excellent book: The Culture of Narcissism, by Christopher Lasch.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-07-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #14
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Are you 2 kidding? Sam Casell is, by far, the ugliest person in sports.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:40 AM   #15
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Baseball is sucking because it is the sport that regards statistics higher than any other (see Bill James). And the records have been tainted for a quick buck/instant fame through steroids, smaller parks, juiced balls and the like..

The NFL is doing the same by inflating offensive numbers. Now defensives can't even tickle wideouts without drawing flags, so offensives can rack up yards like Mo Vaugn racked up piles of chicken wings. As an example... Jake Plummer threw 27 TDs this season, TYING the Denver Broncos team-record. I'll assume I don't have to reveal whose record Plummer tied.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote