Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-31-2004, 02:28 AM   #1
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road
Default AFC vs NFC....Parody in the NFL

I thought this might be a good idea. I'd really like to hear everyone's opinions about the huge gap in talent -- and consequently, winning records -- between the AFC & NFC. Why are things so bad in the NFC? Why were teams like Chicago and Detroit still in the hunt last week @ 5-9? And why does it take a 10th loss to eliminate ANY team??? This should be fun...
Old 12-31-2004, 02:36 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

This will be a boring answer, but it's nothing more than the cyclical nature of the NFL. Sometimes the NFC is up and the AFC is down (didn't the NFC at one point win something like 12 straight super bowls?), and sometimes vice versa. In just a few years, the AFC might be the conference squeaking teams in the playoffs at 8-8.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:04 AM   #3
JayS
Sports Enthusiast

JayS is on a distinguished road

I don't want to be an ass but... *parity (I think).

Anyways I have the same thoughts about this as KevinBeane, with free agency and the draft and such, the tide will turn and the NFC will be the power conference again. It's just a matter of time. Part of the reason the AFC has seemed so dominant is because they have the closest thing to a dynasty in it (New England).
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:12 AM   #4
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

No, it is in fact, parody.

:read:

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 12-31-2004 at 03:28 AM.
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:21 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

One thing that has been discussed is awarding the four wild cards regardless of conference, and then if there's an imbalance, taking the bottom teams from the conference that had three or four wild cards and transferring them to the other conference's playoff draw. All division champions would continue to make the playoffs.

Going into this week, this would mean that three wild cards would come from the AFC - the Jets (10-5), Denver (9-6) and Buffalo (9-6), and one from the NFC - Minnesota (8-7), outranking Jacksonville because the Vikings beat the Jaguars head-to-head (after Jacksonville is placed ahead of 8-7 Baltimore due to a better record against common opponents).

Under this proposal, the Bills (behind Denver because the Broncos have a better conference record) would become the sixth seed in the NFC; even though Buffalo has a better record than Minnesota, any transferred teams would be automatically relegated to the bottom of the other conference's seeding structure (presumably to make it less attractive for a team to tank their last regular-season game to get into the other, weaker conference's bracket, a scenario that could arise).

Sounds fair enough to me, but I doubt if it will ever happen unless the imbalance gets really ridiculous (and it means that an AFC team could conceivably win the NFC championship - but that doesn't bother me, so why should it bother anyone else?).

Last edited by Anthony; 12-31-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

Going into this week, this would mean that three wild cards would come from the AFC - the Jets (10-5), Denver (9-6) and Buffalo (9-6), and one from the NFC - Minnesota (8-7), outranking Jacksonville because the Vikings beat the Jaguars head-to-head (after Jacksonville is placed ahead of 8-7 Baltimore due to a better record against common opponents).

Are you sure about that? I thought when three or more teams were tied, the tiebreakers involved all three teams (head-to-head if they have all played each other, net points, whatever). I've never heard of a 3-team tiebreaker that amounted to, "Team A knocks out team B, and team C knocks out Team A."

Eh, I'm probably wrong, but I'd still like confirmation on that.

JayS, you are correct, I was going to say that too, but DWB is going for the pun, I believe. That's why every year, I read at least one headline that says, "(Hot team here) is making a parody out of parity!" Yuk yuk!

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Let us not forget it wasn't to long ago the NFC owned the Pro Bowl every year. I forget how long the stretch was but it took the AFC a long time to start winning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (2.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 12-31-2004 at 03:44 PM.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
JayS
Sports Enthusiast

I don't think you can really use the Pro Bowl when looking at trends... because... nobody really cares about the Pro Bowl. I couldn't tell you who won the game, who got MVP or what the score was. The main importance of the Pro Bowl is who gets in, not what happens.

Last edited by KevinBeane; 12-31-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:08 PM   #9
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

That would be ghetto though an AFC team winning the NFC championship...it's the NFC championship ya know maybe some of those AFC teams are whining about the NFC because their not good eough to win it in the AFC
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:40 PM   #10
JayS
Sports Enthusiast

Well when there's six teams in the AFC that could probably beat the 2-6 seeds in the NFC, there's quite an imbalance.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by JayS
I don't think you can really use the Pro Bowl when looking at trends... because... nobody really cares about the Pro Bowl. I couldn't tell you who won the game, who got MVP or what the score was. The main importance of the Pro Bowl is who gets in, not what happens.
Especially when a good number of the guys find 'injuries' to back out of the game and you are not allowed to blitz on defense. The game is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage and the only reason guys show up is for the $15,000 (however much it is) paycheck and the free trip to Hawaii.

From what I can tell Andy Reid is the only guy who actually takes the game seriously :lol:
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 05:19 PM   #12
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

The crazy thing is, I could see the AFC teams beating the tar out of each other in the playoffs, expending a lot of energy and setting up the NFC to come through the backdoor for a Super Bowl win.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 05:39 PM   #13
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Noon
The crazy thing is, I could see the AFC teams beating the tar out of each other in the playoffs, expending a lot of energy and setting up the NFC to come through the backdoor for a Super Bowl win.
Exactly. You just never know. Green Bay was supposed to walk through the playoffs after the 1997 season as defending champs, and they sure weren't supposed to lose to Denver in Super Bowl XXXII. () In fact, Denver even finished behind Kansas City in the West that year.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:27 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Are you sure about that? I thought when three or more teams were tied, the tiebreakers involved all three teams (head-to-head if they have all played each other, net points, whatever). I've never heard of a 3-team tiebreaker that amounted to, "Team A knocks out team B, and team C knocks out Team A."

Eh, I'm probably wrong, but I'd still like confirmation on that.

JayS, you are correct, I was going to say that too, but DWB is going for the pun, I believe. That's why every year, I read at least one headline that says, "(Hot team here) is making a parody out of parity!" Yuk yuk!

In this case - again, under the proposal that the NFL's competition committee briefly considered in the mid-1990s - three teams are tied and two are from the same conference; so the conference tie is broken first, then whoever wins that tie-breaker is matched up against the team with the same record in the other conference. This echoes the procedure that is actually used to break a tie for a wild card berth(s) when three teams are tied and two are from the same division - they break the division tie first, then whoever wins that is paired off with the team in the other division. This could come into play this year in the AFC if the Jets lose Sunday while the Bills and Broncos both win; all three teams would finish 10-6 and be tied for two wild-card spots; the division tie between Buffalo and the Jets is broken first, and Buffalo has a better record against common opponents (the Bills and Jets split their two head-to-head games and both were 3-3 within the division). Then it becomes a Buffalo-Denver tie for the first wild card, which Denver wins due to a better conference record (7-5 to Buffalo's 6-6); the Bills then get the other wild card for finishing ahead of the Jets in the divison (this procedure was enacted in 1991, and is designed to prevent a situation where a third-place team could make the playoffs while the second-place team in the same division did not).

Another variant of the proposal would have allowed transferred teams to qualify only if they finished with an outright better record than the corresponding team(s) in the other conference; if the teams had the same record the normal distribution of the wild cards - two in each conference (three at the time they were studying the proposal)- would remain intact.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-01-2005 at 03:36 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote