Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: What Does San Francisco Do With the 1st Pick?
Aaron Rodgers 0 0%
Alex Smith 4 50.00%
Seek a Trade 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Draft Discussion: Rodgers or Smith?

Ok folks, you are the GM of the 49ers- who are you taking with the first round pick?

Unlike last year's draft that featured can't miss prospects at quarterback- Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Phillip Rivers, this year's class features no such player. There are many solid prospects and appears Cal's Aaron Rodgers and Utah's Alex Smith to be at the top of that list. Both had tremendous junior seasons in 2004 and left school while their draft stock was at its peak. Both received a major boost when USC's Matt Leinart chose to return for his senior season and a shot at a second Heisman and third consecutive national championship. Now the 49ers face the unenviable task of choosing one of two solid but not spectacular prospects. Both have their drawbacks. For Rodgers it is his height (6-2) and being another "Tedford QB". Four other quarterbacks sent to the NFL by Tedford (Trent Dilfer at Fresno State, Akili Smith and Joey Harrington at Oregon and Kyle Boller at Cal) have thus far in their careers been marginal at best. Meanwhile Smith has some even larger question marks. He has marginal arm strength, performed against weaker competition and played in Urban Meyer's shotgun spread offense.

Now for my take on the situation :

Aaron Rodgers. Smith is a nice QB and was part of something special at Utah but he was also a player that during the season was projected as a 4th round pick- at best. Something is fishy about a guy who go from being a Day Two pick to the #1 overall pick in the draft. Rodgers performed very well in the tough games and almost single-handedly beat USC at the LA Coliseum. His arm strength is terrific and he makes and completes passes that Smith will never be able to make. While Tedford has been somewhat of a failure in developing quarterbacks into NFL talent, Smith appears to me as a player waiting to be labeled as a draft bust. In Rodgers I see a legitimate NFL QB, in Smith I see the second coming of David Klinger. The one thing for sure is that San Francisco will hear out any offers for the first round pick before making a final decision, one that could change the organization for years to come.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Apparently you missed on all the rave reviews on Alex Smith's workout in front of about 100 pro scouts earlier this week. The scouts came away pretty impressed with the kid and the consensus was that he showed he had plenty of arm strength and ability to play in the NFL. The main knock against him was the style of offense he played in but most are impressed with his mental makeup and attitude that they don't think he will have any problems adjusting to a more traditional pro style offense.

I doubt that either one of them is going to be a step right in and play type of a QB. But, the consensus seems to be that Alex Smith is going to be at the very least a solid starting QB in the NFL.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

There's just something that rubs me the wrong way. I could end up very wrong, when the Packers selected Nick Barnett a couple of years ago over the likes of Boss Bailey, E.J. Henderson and Terry Pierce I trashed the organization for pissing away a pick. He proved me wrong with a performance that was worthy of defensive rookie of the year (I still remain unsure how he wasn't). Smith is a very intelligent player. If I'm not mistaken he entered Utah with a ton of credits and has already graduated. He may very well grasp an NFL playbook but he's going to have to adjust to being under center the majority of the time and if he ends up in San Francisco, working with a marginal, at best, group of receivers. The Niners best receiver may very well be TE Eric Johnson.

San Francisco is taking a risk no matter who they select. IMO, the ideal situation would be trading the pick, allowing them to gain even more talent and then take Andrew Walter or Charlie Frye in the second round. They are both risks as well and are only a notch below Rodgers and Smith. At least by taking a Frye or Walter and having them fail is easier to handle than watching a #1 overall pick fail a la Tim Couch, knowing that you were also able to add talent to other areas of need and the Niners have plenty of holes to fill.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Seek a trade. Niners have a lot of holes, neither Smith nor Rodgers could be a savior with this team

Before this past season, Couch's lifetime passer rating was basically the same as Donovan McNabb's. Also came a dropped pass away from a 10-6 record in 2001. Couch got a bad rap cuz his team stank and his coach was an idiot
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

I would go with Smith. He has all the tools. He comes from a winner in Utah, a team that went undefeated last season. There's no way you can fix all your problem in one draft. Why not get yourself a cornerstone to build arund? What do all the good teams have? The Packers, The Eagles, The Colts? They all have a good solid QB. That's what you build your team around. THey don't have Dennis Erickson anymore so they do not need to worry about their QB getting ruined by him, which he does.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Get more picks. The 49ers have so many holes it is ridiculous. I dont think either one of those QBs is a gamebreaker, and if they had been out last year, they wouldnt have been taken in the 1st rd.

And even if they keep the 1st, I'd pick a RB, probably Benson.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #7
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Let me add to that. If SF trades or gets more picks, and they end up w/the 1st again, look who is coming out next year. Leinart will be there waiting. They are gonna stink no matter what, so why not get the stud RB and build around him?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:17 AM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The only problem with the 49ers trading down is finding someone who's willing to trade up - and is any team willing to do that, presumably in order to obtain either Rodgers or Smith?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
The only problem with the 49ers trading down is finding someone who's willing to trade up - and is any team willing to do that, presumably in order to obtain either Rodgers or Smith?
Not to obtain Rodgers or Smith but there could be a team out there looking to move up to draft one of three top tailbacks or Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

In case anyone is looking for a great draft preview, I highly, highly recommend the latest Sporting News issue. I don't work for them or anything. I just thought the detail was amazing when i got it in the mail yesterday. I'm poring over all the CB and DL info right now to see who my Packers might take...
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Agreed, Billy. I picked up the TSN draft issue a few weeks ago but haven't gotten the chance to read much of it yet. Hopefully on my way down to Orlando I'll get a chance to read through it.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Not to obtain Rodgers or Smith but there could be a team out there looking to move up to draft one of three top tailbacks or Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.
Agreed. Someone's gotta be looking to move up to get someone that is talented other than a quarterback. Just because QB is the most important position doesn't mean you need to draft them first and second.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #13
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

I am so sick of the NFL Draft; ESPN's coverage has been stiffling...

2.5 HOURS. HOURS. How deep can you go in a kiddie pool?

I don't particularly like anyone in this draft. Eh. The 49ers are not going anywhere, anytime soon, so they might as well not gamble on some second-rate QB (Smith asking more than Manning is just ridiulous; none of these players would've been picked first last year...he would've been at LEAST the 4th QB to go) or any other egotistical player (it's always the WR, isn't it?). And Rodgers has that Cal thing - and that is NOT good. Trade up to a team that doesn't need a lot of picks and rebuild.

Also I think that a 40 can't measure the aspect that is probably more important than speed or talent, and that's just heart and personality, because there have been some top picks that just COMBUSTED and blown up in their teams' faces...while you snag some under-the-radar hardworking guy.
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #14
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

End of discussion. Alex Smith goes number 1
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by YankeeDoodle

I don't particularly like anyone in this draft. Eh. The 49ers are not going anywhere, anytime soon, so they might as well not gamble on some second-rate QB (Smith asking more than Manning is just ridiulous; none of these players would've been picked first last year...he would've been at LEAST the 4th QB to go) or any other egotistical player (it's always the WR, isn't it?). And Rodgers has that Cal thing - and that is NOT good. Trade up to a team that doesn't need a lot of picks and rebuild.
Well, Smith does have the same agent as Manning and the contracts do typically increase a minimal increment every year. From what I understand he is asking for a contract similar to Manning's with the 'standard' incremental increase that is generally given to the top picks in the draft.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote