Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win the Patriots @ Colts game this week?
Patriots win easily 1 33.33%
Patriots win a close game 0 0%
Colts win easily 0 0%
Colts win a close game 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

chiefsfan27 is on a distinguished road
Default Patriots @ Colts

This is turning into a great rivalry. Two of the best Quarterbacks of all time. Who takes bragging rights (at least for the regular season) this year?

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."
Vince Lombardi
chiefsfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Go Colts! As great as this rivalry has been, sometimes I get annoyed at all the hype surrounding it. But as long as the Colts come out victors, all is well.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Predicting this game is always a headache, and both teams look great right now. I'll say Colts, since the Pats are 0-2 so far in opponents' home stadiums, but it's basically a coin flip, in my mind.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Then again one wonders if and when all of the injuries on defense finally catch up to the Colts.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
Predicting this game is always a headache, and both teams look great right now. I'll say Colts, since the Pats are 0-2 so far in opponents' home stadiums, but it's basically a coin flip, in my mind.

"0-2 in opponents' home stadiums"

Very clever! :thumbsup2:

And don't you have any aspirin, Tylenol, or Advil in your household? So any "headache" you might incur from predicting this, and all of the rest of the week's games, can be quickly relieved, no?

Guess I throw hints around like manhole covers.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

Patriots up by 17 right now, and without 2 uncharacteristic turnovers, it could easily be a 31 point lead. No doubt who the better team is right now.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."
Vince Lombardi
Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

Hold on... Refs trying to bail out Manning in this one. They basically just handed him and the Colts a TD and it's now 34-28 Patriots.

Vince Lombardi
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
chiefsfan27
Paul Foeller

The referees directly affected the outcome of this game. And this is coming from an impartial observer. The Colts probably wouldn't win this game without a lot of help from the refs.

That being said, the hoodie made a bonehead decision and Peyton Manning was excellent. So all the blame can't be on the refs. They never lose or win a game for a team.

Vince Lombardi

Last edited by chiefsfan27; 11-16-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
Brad O.

Default In defense of Belichick

Naturally, a lot of people are questioning Bill Belichik's decision to go for it on 4th-and-2 from his own 30-yard line. The Patriots didn't make the first down, and the Colts won the game, so obviously his decision didn't work out. But was it really such a bad idea? If you're a Colts fan, are you more worried about going 70 yards or about the Pats making the first down? I'd have more faith in my offense to drive downfield than in my defense to make the stop. New England had moved the ball pretty easily for most of the night.

What are the chances of making the two yards? Are they really any lower than the chances of the Colts driving for a touchdown with 2 minutes and a timeout? This is what Peyton Manning does. I mean, if the ref spots the ball half a yard differently, the Pats run out the clock and win by 6.

And Anthony, I'm sorry for dropping out of the Pick Em contests (while I was winning the Pointspread, no less!), but I had an emergency that caused me to miss a week, and it's discouraging to try to make up that lost ground.

Game of the year, btw.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
Anthony

But when Belichick did what he did on fourth down he was still in known lines, so to speak: On December 10, 1995, Barry Switzer went for it on fourth down from all but exactly the same spot on the field, the same amount of yardage to go for the first down, and the same amount of time left in the game, although then the score was tied at the time.

The Cowboys, too, didn't make it, and the Eagles, on the ensuing possession, kicked a field goal to win 20-17.

But it's still a tight race in the Pointspread Contest, Brad - LINK - and even if it was wasn't there's always the vicarious thrill of playing "spoiler," although I doubt if anyone could have spoiled things for this week's runaway winner!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think Belichick's decision to go for it with the lead was idiotic. When you have the lead, you want to put the burden on the other team; force them to win the game, so punt the ball. He put the burden on his own team while they were winning and that cost them the game.

But that wasn't as stupid as Maurice Jones-Drew's goal line knee with his team DOWN! He had an opportunity to put his team in the lead with a guaranteed score. But instead took a knee to run off more clock. That is beyond foolish; any number of things could happen on the ensuing plays — turnovers or defensive stops. You simply have to take the points when they are guaranteed and trust your defense. Can you imagine the Jags being unable to convert and losing when MJD had the game won if he wanted it?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

In Jones-Drew's defense he took the knee because he was told to by the coaches.

The thing I cannot believe about the Belichick call is ESPN is still giving it significant airtime on SportsCenter. All of this over a game that was not even a playoff game or a Super Bowl.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #13
Brad O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The thing I cannot believe about the Belichick call is ESPN is still giving it significant airtime on SportsCenter.
Absolutely agreed. It's overkill x 1000.

And Marc, I just don't think you've thought this through.

What are New England's chances of making two yards on that play? Maybe 50%? What are the chances that the Colts can drive 70 yards, with 2 minutes and a timeout, against a tired defense? Not any lower than 50%, I think.

In the Jags game, which is more likely? Scobee missing a 21-yard field goal, or the Jets driving for a field goal with 1:48?

Scobee is 98.3% in his career on extra points, and a 21-yard field goal is an extra point. He's 41/42 from inside 30 yards (97.6%). So let's say there's a 2% chance he misses. There's definitely -- I mean, no question -- more than a 2% chance that the Jets could get a field goal if you give them the ball back.

The Jets wanted to let them score. If your opponent wants you to do something, it's almost always a good idea not to do it. The Jacksonville coaches did the right thing. No doubt about it.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #14
Anthony

If it's 4th and inches instead of 4th and 2, it's quite possible I go for it - unless of course I had the Eagles' running backs!

The Maurice Jones-Drew thing brings up a related scenario: If I was ahead by one and the other team let me score, I'd go for two - since if I made it, I'd be up by nine and the game would be over right there, and if I missed it and they scored on the ensuing possession, they would only do what was necessary on the conversion attempt to send the game into overtime (if a head coach is such as wuss that he would let the other team score, he's never going to go for the win by going for two).