Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-27-2002, 02:23 PM   #16
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Notre Dame's third in the BCS, yet sixth in the polls! Now that will likley change with the new polls coming out today, but still, they didn't get any love the first eight games of the season.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:18 PM   #17
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

There is a playoff system in college football right now. If you want to play for the title, you better not loose. Any more than a four team playoff detracts from the best regular season in sports.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:01 PM   #18
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Ya but a BCS Bowl playoff would be awesome! This is how the matchups would look(pending it was highest ranked vs. lowest)-

Oklahoma vs. Michigan
Miami vs. Washington St.
Notre Dame vs. Ohio St.
Virginia Tech vs. Georgia

My guess would be Oklahoma and Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.
But those would be some great games!!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:03 PM   #19
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

OOO wait, I thought it would just be the top eight BCS teams (four major bowls) in a playoff.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:58 PM   #20
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Thats funny Ricky. Lets see, last year Nebraska played for the NC and had one loss. The year before that FSU played for the NC and had one loss. Kind of defeats your theory there....lol. All the while there were several other teams also with only one loss in those seasons. Do people actually post things without really knowing what is going on............just curious?

And The J, your a day late with that set up, Michigan was throttled at home yesterday, there BCS hopes are now............gone.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:16 PM   #21
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

O, musta got outdated rankings.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:43 PM   #22
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

What I meant, was that if you want to play for the national championship, you better not loose or else you are putting your title hopes in the hands of pollsters. I can't imagine ever seeing more than 4 undefeated, quality teams in one year. If a one loss team is bumped out of a four team playoff, too bad but it's their own fault.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:01 PM   #23
Sports Virtuoso

Its there own fault.............LOL............your not serious. That is your way of justifying it, by saying its there own fault. Last year there was one undefeated team(miami) and 5 teams with one loss to choose from in this idiotic set up. Interestingly enough, it was exactly the same the year before. One undefeated(oklahoma) and 5 teams with one loss. So how is it the fault of one of the teams that was 'picked over', if the team picked over them also had one loss? Thats not anyones fault, that is called a very faulty system, based solely on bias opinions. SOS is not a factor, because as evidenced, the polls eventually outweigh whatever you may have gained through SOS. I gave an example in a different post.

On top of that you had several 2 loss teams that played tougher schedules then some one loss teams, how is that a fair system? Should everyone schedule as weakly as possible so to win all your games, then bribe the pollsters so to get there votes?

There should be polls, but only for people like you who actually think they mean something. But the polls should not have a bearing on who plays and wins championship football games.

Imagine a poll system in the NFL. I can quickly think of several teams that would not have been allowed to be in the Super Bowl, most recently the PATS.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:17 PM   #24
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

ESPN actually just did an example of a NFL poll....and it was based on how the BCS does their system....somewhat. And their rankings were rather outrageous! They had a 3-4 Redskins team as the #3 seed just because they have had the toughest schedule of any NFL team up until this point in the season! They also had the 3-4 Patriots in the mix for the top 5 in the AFC! So, thank you NFL for not going with the poll or BCS system!

Joey
Old 10-30-2002, 04:44 PM   #25
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah Joey they tried to copy the BCS, but the one big difference was, there are no polls, computer or otherwise. Right now the BCS is formed by using 2 people polls and 6 computer polls AND the SOS. Where in this ESPN poll they just used SOS and won loss record, because there are no AP and Coaches polls or computers polls presently in place in the NFL.

As it is in college right now, there are so many polls involved in the BCS, they tend to overide the SOS.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:30 PM   #26
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sooners overtake Hurricanes atop AP poll

Nov. 3, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports

hurdled Miami for the top spot and Virginia Tech and Notre Dame each dropped five places in the latest Associated Press college football poll, which was released Sunday.

Oklahoma (8-0) posted a 27-11 victory over Colorado, which was ranked 13th, on Saturday while Miami (8-0) actually trailed Rutgers in the fourth quarter before exploding for 28 points in a 42-17 win. Rutgers has just one win this season.

As a result, the Sooners received 42 first-place votes, 29 more than last week, and 1,818 points in a nationwide media poll. Oklahoma is No. 1 in the all-important Bowl Championship Series.

Miami has won 30 straight games and remains No. 1 in the coaches, but lost 27 first-place votes in the AP poll and is No. 2 with 1,804 points and 32 first-place votes.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/5857417
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:47 PM   #27
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

An even better story.....

OSU leapfrogs Miami into second in the BCS.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:13 PM   #28
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, Miami can still jump ahead of Ohio State if they run the table and go undefeated. And don't kid yourself, if Miami goes undefeated then they will not be left out of the National Championship game! And there is also no possible way that Oklahoma could get left out if they go undefeated as well! So, that is going to leave out OSU if they go undefeated! Now I just stated alot of ifs.......Miami or Oklahoma could lose and who knows what could happen then.....but if those 2 go undefeated then it is definitely automatic....Miami vs. Oklahoma will be the matchup!

Joey
Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 PM   #29
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

There will be no more than two undefeated teams. I guarantee it.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:06 PM   #30
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

I think that someone is going to catch Oklahoma off guard. They still have the Big 12 Championship game to play too.

The obvious upset choice of the year will be VT over Miami, and that is precisly why it wont happen. Look out for the game they have against Pitt, though.

And OSU has road games at Purdue and Illinois--not great teams but can surely win a home game if the team they play overlooks them. And I dont care how much more talent we have this year, Michigan will be a battle.

I just don't think the odds off all three teams completing all those tasks are that good. Every year we wonder what will happen if 8 teams go undefeated, then six, then 3. BUt it always turns into a debate of which one loss team is worthy! If one of those three teams go undefeated this year, the odds of them being shut out are not good at all.