Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
I read that PSU students lit stuff on fire and turned over cars following the win. That's very considerate of them to imitate OSU.
It was nuts. A literal riot broke out downtown, riot police were macing people to help clear it out. Youtube "Penn State riot" and you'll get some good video of it.

Luckily, I only witnessed a little bit of the riot on my way to frat row to celebrate.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

ghostofSC is on a distinguished road

I'll bet NickHammy and Bucknut were pretty pissed off after this game.
ghostofSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofSC View Post
I'll bet NickHammy and Bucknut were pretty pissed off after this game.
Wow, Bucknut?

NickHammy was a gimme but Bucknut is pretty impressive.

Good show, ghost!
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Considering the Big 12 champ won't play defense, and the SEC champ won't have much of an offense (we'll see if Florida keeps it up), I don't see Penn State getting slaughtered by either team from that conference in the Little League Superbowl.

Just because Penn State didn't power the ball all over the field doesn't change the fact that they put up a very impressive road win this week. I think they have as good of a chance to win the MNC at this point as any team from any conference in America.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I agree with the lack of a defense from the Big 12 Champ, but the SEC has shown that their lack of offense can still run up points in a National Championship game.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #21
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
I agree with the lack of a defense from the Big 12 Champ, but the SEC has shown that their lack of offense can still run up points in a National Championship game.
Agreed. The problem is that we don't really know how good PSU's defense is going to be as they did not play anyone worth mentioning out of conference. In the past the so-called dominant Big Ten defenses have been outclassed by the speed of the SEC offenses. The thing about the SEC offenses is we have the conception that they are not very good but a lot of that ties to the fact that SEC defenses are able to match up with the offenses speed-wise whereas you cannot say the same about other conferences.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The problem is that we don't really know how good PSU's defense is going to be as they did not play anyone worth mentioning out of conference.
Well, Oregon State’s O ran wild on USC’s defense yet couldn’t get out of their own way at Happy Valley. The Trojans have given up 30 points in their five games outside of Oregon State where they allowed a whopping 27. Plus USC held Ohio State to 3 in LA while PSU gave up 6 in Columbus. Not bad. Considering the SEC refuses to play any other BCS conference on a semi-regular manner aside from the ACC we won't get to judge Penn State against them in regular season. And when the SEC has found themselves up against the Trojans under Petey...their O has been completely locked down.

Quote:
In the past the so-called dominant Big Ten defenses have been outclassed by the speed of the SEC offenses.
Against one program: Ohio State…which is has been in ruins since 2004.Otherwise, this statement is 100% false.

Games between the SEC and the Big Ten in 2006 and 2007 aside from the BCS CGs…

**Tennessee scored 21 vs. Wisconsin. Season average (vs. BCS comp) – 28.9. That’s a full TD the Badgers took off in a close loss.

**Florida scored 35 vs. Michigan. Season average (vs. BCS comp) – 38.4. That’s a FG the Wolverines took off in a close win.

**Tennessee scored 10 vs. Penn State. Season average (vs. BCS comp) – 27.4.That 17 points (2 TDs, 1 FG) the Lions took off in a 10-point win. This should open some eyes considering PSU’s offense wasn’t NEARLY as good in 2006 as it is now.

**Arkansas scored 14 vs. Wisconsin. Season average (vs. BCS comp) – 29.2 That’s over 2 TDs the Badgers took off in a close win.

**Vanderbilt scored 7 at Michigan. Season average (vs. BCS comp) – 17.6. Not much of an offense but the Wolverines took off a TD and a FG in a 20-point win.

Sorry, it’s the Ohio State daze that you’re buying in regards to this statement. Plus we went 4-1 in this stretch.

Quote:
The thing about the SEC offenses is we have the conception that they are not very good but a lot of that ties to the fact that SEC defenses are able to match up with the offenses speed-wise whereas you cannot say the same about other conferences.
Big Ten teams generally score well under their season averages in games vs. the SEC.

However,

Consider this…

Wisconsin scores 17 vs. Tennessee in 2007. That’s the same amount they got in Columbus and 10 less than they got at Penn State.

Michigan scored 41 against Florida in 2007 after getting 3 vs. Ohio State in their previous game. Let’s face it: UF couldn’t stop a prototypical pro-style offense in this one.

Penn State scored 20 against Tennessee in 2006 after managing a COMBINED 19 vs. the Big Ten’s Big 3 (Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin).

Wisconsin scored 17 vs. Arkansas in 2007 but only managed 13 vs. Penn State in Madison. Plus they only got 17 in Columbus.

Truth is the Big Ten is able to score just fine against the SEC when you plug in what said Big Ten team did in terms of points against Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State.

So the fact is when the SEC and Big Ten do battle the games are generally low-scoring, close and aside from one program, Ohio State, have lately gone the Big Ten’s way.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 10-28-2008 at 03:21 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

How do you think any of the other Big Ten teams would have done against LSU and Florida the years that Ohio State lost to them? Or how would Ohio State have done against other opponents?

The other matchups you pointed to seem to be more even matchups between Big Ten/SEC teams, but matching the best of the Big Ten against the best of the SEC hasn't seemed to go well recently.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #24
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I think the Big 12 defenses would be able to hold their own against other conferences, at least the top teams of the conference. The showdown between Texas and Oklahoma State this past weekend i think showed that defense does exist in the Big 12. Sure, the stats might not look great, but these defenses are playing against some of the best offenses in the country.

Texas has allowed 334.8 yards per game, allowing 18.4 points per game. Against their biggest opponents OU, OSU, and Mizzou, this is how they've done:
Against OU, they allowed 435 yards and 35 points. OU's season output has been gaining 542.1 yards and scoring 48.3 points per game. Texas held them to 107.1 yards less and 13.3 points less than they normally got.

Against OSU, they allowed 416 yards and 24 points. OSU has been gaining 490.8 ypg and scoring 43.6 ppg. Texas held them to 74.8 yards and 19.4 points less than normal.

Against Missouri, they allowed 348 yards and 31 points. Mizzou has been gaining 517.1 ypg and scoring 47.4 ppg. Texas held them to 169.1 yards and 16.4 points less than normal.

Texas has held each of these top offenses to less than they normally get, which is what a good defense does.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote