Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default Carroll is a *****

Carroll doesn't understand how BCS works, thinks it 'stinks'

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Pete Carroll insists he doesn't understand how the BCS system works. He understands enough to know he doesn't like it one bit.

"I think it stinks. I don't think it's the way it should be," Carroll said concerning how college football crowns its champion. "But all we can do is keep talking about it."

And that's what the Southern California coach did Tuesday at his weekly meeting with reporters.

Carroll has expressed his displeasure over the years with the system, but things hit a new high for him over the weekend when the Trojans (7-1, 5-1 Pac-10) dropped from fifth to seventh in the BCS standings after they blanked Washington 56-0 for their third shutout in four games.

"I don't understand how the thing works, I don't really know," he said. "Maybe you guys will answer for it one of these days. Maybe you know and I don't. I'm sure you do.

"What is the criteria of the process? Is it to pick the team that has the best season, that has the season that you like the most and feel best about voting for? Or is it the best team at the end of the year, the team that would win a playoff system if you did have it?" he said.

Story

They are ranked 6 or 7th in every poll what does he want? Go play the Huskies again..... Petey.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Didn't Urban Meyer ***** and moan a few years ago as well? This year might be the worst (best?) case for the BCS not working.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
themush
Banned

No Meyer was politicking he didn't *****.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Are you serious mush? That's even worse IMO.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The BCS is not going to last much longer. They are going to find a way to add an eight-team playoff to satisfy all the critics, and the critics come from everyone from top coaches to President-Elect Obama. I just think with this much smoke, there's going to be fire. I think you can keep the bowl game tradition and sponsorship money and still have a playoff.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
No Meyer was politicking he didn't *****.
*Sigh

We aren't gonna have to rename you CKFresh the 2nd...are we?

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
The BCS is not going to last much longer. They are going to find a way to add an eight-team playoff to satisfy all the critics, and the critics come from everyone from top coaches to President-Elect Obama.
I heard that rubbish from rockstar.

Luckily for us, this guy hasn't followed thru on a job he's started in his life.

Long live the Sun Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
themush
Banned

Jesus guys, it was a joke.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Sadly, the real joke is on college football.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Jesus guys, it was a joke.
Hey, you've been readin' the political forum lately.

Keepin' 'em honest is my job.

:thumbup:

No harm, no foul there Mr. Mush.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Sadly, Penn State could once again be the impetus for change over the college football landscape. One of the driving forces behind getting the BCS was the fact that the Big Ten/Pac-10/Rose Bowl wouldn't join the old Bowl Coalition/Alliance and undefeated Penn State couldn't play undefeated Nebraska back in '94, costing PSU a national championship.

Now, here we sit undefeated and currently on the outside looking in. While I believe that PSU will be #1 by the time the BCS bowl bids are handed out (Texas Tech will lose at least once in the next two weeks, even if Alabama survives LSU they won't get past Florida), it's not impossible, given the negative perception of the Big Ten, that PSU could get jumped by two one-loss teams.

It's highly unlikely but I think that would be the last stand for the BCS. One undefeated team being left out among three or what one-loss team gets in amongst a smattering has been seen before. But this would be entirely different.

As much as I want to see the BCS go up in flames, I don't want PSU to be at the center of it. I think ideally Texas Tech loses and Penn State and Alabama win out. I'm sorry but there just seems like something off with Texas Tech playing for the national championship. I also think FOX would agree, considering they get a significantly smaller fan base with Tech than they do from Bama, PSU, Florida, USC, etc. Especially considering the two title game duds they've gotten since acquiring the BCS contract.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Sadly, Penn State could once again be the impetus for change over the college football landscape. One of the driving forces behind getting the BCS was the fact that the Big Ten/Pac-10/Rose Bowl wouldn't join the old Bowl Coalition/Alliance and undefeated Penn State couldn't play undefeated Nebraska back in '94, costing PSU a national championship.

Now, here we sit undefeated and currently on the outside looking in. While I believe that PSU will be #1 by the time the BCS bowl bids are handed out (Texas Tech will lose at least once in the next two weeks, even if Alabama survives LSU they won't get past Florida), it's not impossible, given the negative perception of the Big Ten, that PSU could get jumped by two one-loss teams.

It's highly unlikely but I think that would be the last stand for the BCS. One undefeated team being left out among three or what one-loss team gets in amongst a smattering has been seen before. But this would be entirely different.

As much as I want to see the BCS go up in flames, I don't want PSU to be at the center of it. I think ideally Texas Tech loses and Penn State and Alabama win out. I'm sorry but there just seems like something off with Texas Tech playing for the national championship. I also think FOX would agree, considering they get a significantly smaller fan base with Tech than they do from Bama, PSU, Florida, USC, etc. Especially considering the two title game duds they've gotten since acquiring the BCS contract.
You youself say it's unlikely, and I say it's well-nigh impossible. First, Bama or Tech will lose again this season, I am quite sure.

But IIRC, as much damage as the BCS has done, I don't remember them ever jumping a one-loss team over an undefeated BCS team, so let's not start ascribing things they haven't even done yet. The voters and computers like what Penn State has done...besides beating OSU on the road, that blowout over the other OSU is looking better and better every day. I don't think the BCS will last much longer, but I would bet money that the scenario you describe never happens.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #13
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Say PSU wins out, Tech and Bama lose one, who plays PSU for the title? That would be even more interesting....
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
themush
Banned

IF and only if Bama's loss come in the SECCG to UF then UF would likely play PSU otherwise given your scenario Texas would be back in.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
IF and only if Bama's loss come in the SECCG to UF then UF would likely play PSU otherwise given your scenario Texas would be back in.
No, it's DEFINITELY Florida.

A one-loss Texas team would have played in a tougher division, tougher conference, had a tougher schedule and a better "quality loss" than Florida (on the road no less...unlike the Fighting Tebows) but they lost later than UF and for some reason the BCS is giving the Gators huge preferential treatment.

In short, any one-loss team from the Big 12 deserves a shot over UF (especially Oklahoma who would have beaten Cincy, TCU, Texas Tech, Ok State and Mizz...all potentially 10-win teams) but Florida has somehow been given a free pass.