Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Should A-Rod be Traded?
Yes 2 22.22%
No 7 77.78%
Don't Know 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
When a player gets booed in New York, such as a A-Rod, it doesn't mean the fans don't like him. They're just saying that, come on you play for the Yankees and we know you can do better.
Jay hit the nail on the head. That's just how New York fans are. Fans of every team in NY are like that. Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Knicks, etc., it doesn't matter. Why should we applaud a player who is performing poorly, especially as poorly as A-Rod is playing right now? While you may see it as encouragement, I see it as accepting failure. If you're contented with failure, failure is what you will have. Then you either have the players like Jeter who overcome it or players like Contreras who can't deal with it and need to move on. Even Rivera got booed early on last season and overcame it. Whether people want to admit it or not, a player needs a certain mentality to play in New York, especially for either baseball team, and some have it and some don't. Players like Jeter, Rivera and Giambi have proven that they can handle it. Now it's going to be up to A-Rod to decide if he has the mental resolve to deal with the pressure and overcome his poor play or if he's going to crumble and get a one way ticket out of town come November.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #17
play23
Sports Enthusiast

play23 is on a distinguished road

There is no way you can or should trade A-Rod if you are the Yankees. He has had a very bad week there is no doubting that, but it is ridiculous to think that just because of one bad week you should trade someone who was last year's mvp and someone who has set themselves up to have some of the best numbers in baseball when their career is over. You don't trade a perrenial all-star just because he has had a bad week. The best players ever to play the game have gone through slumps too. It happenes to everyone that plays the game. If I was A-Rod I think I would be standing up for myself and telling people to get off of my back just because I am having a bad week because it happens to everyone, even New York's beloved Derek Jeter.

Since I mentioned Derek Jeter I heard a very good point on the Dan Patrick show about how DJ has not come to A-Rod's defense. I mean they guy backed Chuck Knoblauch and Jason Giambi when they were going through tough times with the fans. I think that if anyone deserves something like that to be done for them it is A-Rod.
play23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

To be honest the only one I have personally heard or read of coming to A-Rod's defense was Brian Cashman on the Mike & Mike Show the other morning. On top of that Mike Mussina more or less threw him under the bus in a post game interview after his last start.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Trade A-Rod are u crazy? The guy may be slumping but he has 22 homers with 74 RBI's. He will easily crack 100 RBI's and hit maybe 40 HR's. His OBP is not great at .383 but respectable. This guy produces year after year after year.

Sure a few more errors, but this guy contributes on offense.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #20
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Yankees won't trade ARod. Baseball tonight is just trying to stir up controversy to increase their ratings back since they messed up on giving Harold Reynolds the boot. Figures this whole "trade ARod" fiasco/rumor was started by Steve Phillips... the same Steve Phillips who messed up the Mets organization.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #21
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

He committed another error last night against the Chi WS. He's having some problems fielding.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #22
Mel316
Rookie Player

Mel316 is on a distinguished road

Roger Maris would of never got his 61st Homerun if he was like ARod
Mickey Mantle would of never been the great champion player he was
The same with Ruth Gehrig and DiMaggio
If ARod gets spent frm the crowd than yes he should run out of New York and take his Alka Setzer with him with all his illnesses
I'll bet ARod stayed out of school a lot with his stomach aches
Lou Gehrig played with 103 temperatures
He had marital problems becuase of this
If ARod can't take it he should run
Mel316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #23
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

He sucked in the postseason, but I wouldn't trade him for anyone.