Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #91
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Enough already! My advice to all you Chargers fans is to chill out, kick back, root for the Colts on Sunday - and if the Colts do win, then you can really put it to rest (just like every Eagles fan I know is cheering for the Bears, and not dwelling on last weekend's game otherwise - except to roundly bash Andy Reid for punting on 4th and 15 at the end).

But allow me to add that this discussion has been very civil and constructive, and shows what we're all about here at SCMB.

Cheers, everybody.:thumbup:
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #92
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
If the Patriots aren't classy there is NO team in the NFL that is classy.
:noway:
The Ellis Hobbs thing, I don't care about even a little bit. I don't like the way the team carries itself. Belichick's an a-hole. Brady's a whiner. Bruschi's pompous. The whole team exudes a feeling of superiority, almost like they're morally entitled to win.

They're a very good football team, and they get results, but I don't like the way they do it.

Even the ownership doesn't sit entirely right with me. The Patriots routinely cut or underpay players who have shown loyalty to the organization, and Bob Kraft gave his Super Bowl ring to a brutal dictator.

If you're looking for classy organizations, IMO, you might begin with the Green Bay Packers.

btw, dave, thanks for the link to the Harrison story. I'll join the crowd, though, in that I'll believe this when it's more than just an allegation.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #93
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well, as Tennyson famously said, "To the brave, there is only one sort of plebian, and that is the coward."

Since they have three Super Bowl rings - and only one of them was earned as the top seed in their conference, and the first one came on the heels of a 5-11 season the year before - the Patriots have a right to "look down" on chokers like the Chargers and the Colts. Do you think if they had beaten the Steelers last Sunday they would have carried on the way they did after the game? Something tells me they wouldn't have.

And so far as the Marvin Harrison thing goes, Brad: If someone as well-informed as you had never heard of it, then I guess it got very scant publicity.

Imagine if T.O. or Chad Johnson had been accused of such a thing.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #94
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
:noway:
The Ellis Hobbs thing, I don't care about even a little bit. I don't like the way the team carries itself. Belichick's an a-hole. Brady's a whiner. Bruschi's pompous. The whole team exudes a feeling of superiority, almost like they're morally entitled to win.

They're a very good football team, and they get results, but I don't like the way they do it.

Even the ownership doesn't sit entirely right with me. The Patriots routinely cut or underpay players who have shown loyalty to the organization, and Bob Kraft gave his Super Bowl ring to a brutal dictator.
Here are a few reason's why I think they are classy (quotes):
Quote:
They don't have any self-promoting a-holes doing sack dances or touchdown dances, they haven't been whistled for any substance abuse violations, and as far as I can recall, not a single Patriot filmed a commercial this season. Since 2001
For those that thought Hobbs was wrong in doing Merriman's dance
Quote:
"I can understand why LT thought it was disrespectful and unclassy that the Patriots started 'doing the dance Shawne Merriman is known for.' Imagine if the Chargers won and some of their players went and did the Tom Brady dance at the midfield? Oh wait ... Tom Brady doesn't have a dance because he's a class act and doesn't do steroids."
And San Diego (Merriman) has class... whatever, they had Rally before the game!!!
Quote:
I can't believe that the Chargers complained about a lack of class when Shawne Merriman attended a Chargers rally last week and egged on a "Brady sucks!' chant. Here it is on youtube.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 AM   #95
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

San Diego not being classy has nothing to do with the Pats boston I'm not saying the Pats are a bad organization, but your argument doesn't prove anything about the conduct of the Patriots.

It's all been blown out of proportion anyway, it was not worth this much reaction.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 AM   #96
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

That's not all I said Montro - I was just making a few points. The first one was in fact why I thought they (Patriots) were classy. The other two were reasons I thought Merriman was not.
Anyway, yeah - I'm over it.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #97
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Since they have three Super Bowl rings - and only one of them was earned as the top seed in their conference, and the first one came on the heels of a 5-11 season the year before - the Patriots have a right to "look down" on chokers like the Chargers and the Colts.

Do we now consider a Patriots team that lost a 21-3 lead in a championship game as chokers?
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #98
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
Do we now consider a Patriots team that lost a 21-3 lead in a championship game as chokers?
No, not given their history of three titles in five years.

Anyone see Belichick brush off Peyton following the game? Looked pretty cold and intentional to me. And it makes LT's theory look better. IMO, Belichick is an ass.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #99
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

I noticed that...and Brady running off the field didn't help things either. Poor winners and poor losers :thumbdown:
Old 01-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #100
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think Belichick's interview furthers LT's point even more so then the Peyton snubb. Man that was a brutal interview for Solomon Wilcots.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #101
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Anyone see Belichick brush off Peyton following the game? Looked pretty cold and intentional to me. And it makes LT's theory look better. IMO, Belichick is an ass.
I agree completely, Belicheck is an ass. He did the same thing to Mangini after the Jets beat the Patriots during the regular season. He's a sore loser so he barely gave Mangini a handshake after the game. But of course after the Patriots beat the Jets in the playoffs he pretended to be Mr. Nice guy and ran to give Mangini a hug.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #102
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Yeah, but rings are rings.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #103
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

You can cover up a pile of shyt with a bunch of rings, but at the end of the day, it's still a pile of shyt.