Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Duke Sits Atop Both Polls

Believe it or not the college basketball season kicks off next week so it is time to jumpstart the banter.

Both preseason polls are now out and Duke is the overwhelming pick as the top squad heading into this season.

Nevada is listed in both polls. I cannot remember the last time they were ever ranked going into the season.

Two interesting omissions are UNC and Kansas. Neither school is ranked in either poll. I cannot remember the last team neither team was ranked going into a season.

It is interesting that UConn is ranked so high given that they have yet to figure out who is opening the season as the starting PG.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankingsindex
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Actually, it started today with the tipoff of the Coaches vs. Cancer classic; the Syracuse "regional" kicked off tonight, with Syracuse and the might Big Red of Cornell cruising to easy victories. Tomorrow night, the Gainesville "regional" will start and the Syracuse "regional" will have their championship as Syracuse will take on the pride of Ithaca. Catch it all on ESPNU!

As far as the polls, I betcha Texas doesn't finish on it neeeearly as high as it is starting.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

What the hell? They are playing games already?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's getting into mid-November, and college hoops time, baby! My Wildcats have a big question mark still with the elgibility of center Randolph Morris. With or without him, I feel we have what it takes to go all the way.

Our sophomore PG will be an All-American and a household name, I guarantee it: Rajon [Ray-john] Rondo. He is predicted to be a lottery pick next year. He's 6-1 with a long reach and can dunk with ease. He led the SEC in steals as a freshman, and his only knock was shooting. Now that he improved his shot over the summer, defenders will have to play on him and he can go right by them. Watch out!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Man, the season snuck up on me, too. You know it's November when Syracuse kicks off their perenially pansy pre-season schedule.

Two things.

1. The race in the Pac 10 should be awesome to watch. Certainly, the Big East will be incredible to watch, and the battle between Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 will be interesting, but the Pac 10's a three team race between Arizona, Stanford, and UCLA. All three teams are capable of claiming the conference and doing damage in March. Of course, I would love to see my Wildcats roll this season, but I've been saying for a while now that UCLA will be a force to be reckoned with this year. Not just in conference, but across the nation. Seriously, watch out for the Bruins.

2. F Duke!
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I'm an East Coaster but I'm looking forward to the Pac 10 season. Last year was a very exciting year in the conference mainly due to the fact that it seemed there was an Any Given Sunday feel to it. Every game was close. As good as Arizona and UCLA et al are, if the runts of the conference shoot well and clog the lanes against them, they have a shot (case in point, check out Washington State's victory in Tucson, and then near-sweep in Pullman, and shaky results against everyone else).

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 11-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Hall of Famer

Very true. Also, Cal could be a factor now that they have Leon Powe back in the fold. Even with the departures they've endured, Washington could still be a spoiler. Tim Floyd coaching at USC? Oregon's dangerous perimeter shooting? Should be an exciting season.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Maui Invitational is going to be killer this year: UConn, Michigan St., Gonzaga, Arizona, and Maryland are all in the tourney as well as Arkansas and Kansas.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Penn State is projected to finish at the bottom of the Big Ten- again. With the 9-1 Nittany Lions still due to take the gridiron twice more, PSU basketball will take a backseat until at least January.

Never the less, I'm still excited for college hoops to begin. The one plus to rooting for one of the nation's most embarassing programs is that I can enjoy all of the big games since PSU is on TV once or twice a season and they play no marquee match ups. The Maui Invitational will be one hell of start to the season. Not one bad team in that grouping. I'm curious to see how Arkansas does against such great competiton. The Hawgs fans have been ready to call for Stan Heath's head for years now.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the only exception being the host school of the Maui, Chaminade, is a D-II school.

What are the odds on Joe Pa getting more wins than the hoops team this year? Just like the good ole days at State College with Joe Pa rivaling the basketball team in wins. :lol:
Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Was going to mention Chaminade but figured it wasn't worth it. They will be out fast as usual since Villanova isnt going to Maui.

Double digit wins would be quite an accomplishment for the program.

And for the record, I think JoePa will win more games than the basketball program this season. Penn State's basketball program would have trouble breaking double digit victories in most conferences.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Penn State doesn't have a hoops squad. LETS GO SPARTANS!
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

In the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic last night, Cornell almost knocked off Syracuse last night, leading as late as 4:53 to before losing by just five. It's what I love about college hoops.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #14
Hall of Famer

Amen, Kevin. Amen. I'd just love to see the 'Cuse blow it in one of their standard cupcakes they always schedule. Would. Love. It.

I can't wait for Maui. Especially with UofA playing Kansas in the first round! Go Wildcats!
Sports Again?!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Speaking of Syracuse how is that Boeheim gets run in an exhibition game?