Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #61
LITHIUM
Sports Enthusiast
 
LITHIUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 41
LITHIUM is on a distinguished road
Default

this is the craziest thing i have ever seen, i mean how could you possibly score 81. i still can't believe it
LITHIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #62
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso
 
Shawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,947
Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default

I read that Kobe's teammates have been calling him "81" lately... the article touted it as his new nickname, which begged the question: was there an 'old' nickname?

Kobe's been one of the few superstars that haven't had a true nickname that's actually stuck. I don't think "81" is going to stick.... and what the heck, if I was to give Kobe a nickname... it would be... let me think...
Well, I guess what my friends and I call him during games: "Jordan Junior" which would never fly and I'm sure he would hate it :lol: but you can't help but feel that same energy that you remember when watching Jordan.... like he could just light up at any moment and become superhuman, and you have the privelege of being along for the ride
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #63
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1
 
da12ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,994
da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default

Well Kobe has referred to himself as a Black Mamba. Which woud make Kwame Brown a garter snake.
__________________
[Seattle Mariners][Oakland Raiders][USC Trojans][Orlando Magic]

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #64
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso
 
HibachiDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,258
HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
You have a point, Doug, but then again, Pippen was actually out there playing, and you, uh ... so I think his argument has a little more backing.
Actually, I'd say this benefits my argument more. Like you said, he is obviously biased. If he is saying that Kobe has it easier to get his shot, which is the premise of the article, I disagree with him entirely, which is why I am dismissing his argument. It is heavily flawed. It is made worse because it is likely based on his bias. I'll question many future Pippen opinions based on this.

It's hard to compare the Kobe game with Wilt's because there isn't footage of Wilt's. But, just going off what I read about the Wilt game and the stories about it...growing up in Philly, you hear a lot of them...I doubt Kobe's 81 could have been more impressive.

First off, the opposing team did more to stop Wilt than the Raptors did on Kobe. A lot of people who recount the game say that the way things were going, Wilt could have scored well over 100 if the game was straight up rather than them trying to keep Wilt from 100. The Knicks were down 20 something and holding the ball for the entire shot clock, fouling Wilt's teammates so Wilt couldn't score.

Second, it's still a 19 point gap. That's still a ton of points no matter how you slice it.

Third, Chamberlain was hitting mad 12 foot fallaway jumpers. Not just dunking on people. 28 of 32 foul shooting.

Both performances were crazy rarities. Probably frivolous to compare, but fun, because of the lack of footage from Wilt's game.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #65
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso
 
Shawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,947
Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default

Doug you definitely have a point, but have you compared the actual rules in place during Jordan's time and current rules, as Pippen referred to? That's what Pippen started his argument off with, and I'm not going to spend half an hour researching/analyzing it but wouldn't you agree that the rules of the game regarding defense have significantly changed, as Pippen referred to? And would this not be significant enough to make the statement that you can't fairly compare the two?

Sure, Pippen's bias is obvious, and he maybe takes it too far, but his base statement I believe is valid.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #66
boston_aloha
FFB #2
 
boston_aloha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,850
boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
It's hard to compare the Kobe game with Wilt's because there isn't footage of Wilt's. But, just going off what I read about the Wilt game and the stories about it...growing up in Philly, you hear a lot of them...I doubt Kobe's 81 could have been more impressive.
Doug, you got a good link for the story on that... or a box score?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo
I read that Kobe's teammates have been calling him "81" lately... the article touted it as his new nickname, which begged the question: was there an 'old' nickname?
I've heard a nickname... but I doubt you wanna hear it. Shirts were going like hotcakes for $20 in front of the Fleet Center before the Lakers/Celts game. They were yellow Laker shirts with #8... but it didn't say Bryant on the back
__________________
Homer: "All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #67
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso
 
Shawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,947
Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I've heard a nickname... but I doubt you wanna hear it. Shirts were going like hotcakes for $20 in front of the Fleet Center befor the Lakers/Celts game. They were yellow Laker shirts with #8... but it didn't say Bryant on the back
I'm talking about 'official' nicknames that you see like TNT advertising when they're promoting the game, etc. Not little cheap-shot T-Shirts that probably have some cheezy reference to his legal problems. Those don't count.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:41 PM   #68
boston_aloha
FFB #2
 
boston_aloha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,850
boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default

I know dude... I was joking (hence I didn't say what the T-shirt said).
__________________
Homer: "All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #69
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso
 
HibachiDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,258
HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo
Doug you definitely have a point, but have you compared the actual rules in place during Jordan's time and current rules, as Pippen referred to?
Oh, I agree that the handchecking rules currently in place are ridiculous, but if the rules don't factor into things, what is the point of referencing the rules? You've seen them both play, right? Who had tougher D played against them on a more consistent basis? Pippen applied the rule changes as a crutch.

Boston, I haven't looked up anything online about the Wilt game in a while, so I'm not sure what's out there online. Probably something on here, google it, maybe wikipedia. There's a radio guy in Philadelphia, actually, radio guy is a bad way to refer to him. He does a 2-3 hour show on Sundays, or at least did in the 90s. But he's a big basketball guy, Sonny Hill. One of the most knowledgeable folks I've had the chance to hear talk about the game on a significant basis. He'd always have old time Philly hoops guys on to talk about Wilt and sometimes the 100 game got brought up. I don't want to get too sidetracked looking up that game.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #70
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1
 
da12ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,994
da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default

http://www.hoophall.com/exhibits/cha...n_boxscore.htm

Chamberlain's box score
Minutes: 48
FG-FGA: 36-63
Rebounds: 25

Kobe's box score
Minutes: 42
FG-FGA: 28-46
Rebounds: 6

Both took about 53% of their teams' shots.
__________________
[Seattle Mariners][Oakland Raiders][USC Trojans][Orlando Magic]

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #71
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso
 
Shawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,947
Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default

Watching Kobe's 81 point game (again), and I noticed the Lack of Jack!
Mr. Perrenial Lakers Fan Jack Nicholson must have kicked himself about 81 times for picking THAT game to miss... probably thinking "ahhh, it's just the Raptors".
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #72
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3
 
davematthews3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sussex NJ
Posts: 2,305
davematthews3 is on a distinguished road
Default

On sportscenter they were talking to about a guy who had tickets to both Kobe's 81 and Wilt's 100 and missed them both. Wow that guy must have the worst luck ever.
__________________
Danny:I haven't even told my father I'm not gonna get that scholarship. I'm gonna end up working in a lumberyard the rest of my life.
Ty:What's wrong with lumber? I own two lumberyards
Danny: notice you don't spend too much time there
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #73
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso
 
Shawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,947
Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default

Dear Kobe,

You are the man and all, and I'm one of your biggest fans... but "Black Mamba"??
OK, sure, the snake is superfast and deadly accurate, fine, whatever....
but there are a couple of unwritten 'rules', that govern nicknames among sports stars: a) (with rare exception) you don't give yourself a nickname, and b) if you DO, try not to make it something that's already been used by a female comic book character.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #74
doublee
Sports Virtuoso
 
doublee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 11,138
doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default

Good, not only did he give himself his own nickname a-la George Costanza but he gave himself the same name as a female superhero. Way to go Kobe. Just more evidence that he is jealous of the 'Big Aristotle'. :lol:
__________________
Can I get an Amen from the bobbleheads?
Hey I said pass the ketchup! I'm eatin' salad here!
Oooh, there is so much I don't know about astrophysics. I wish I had read that book by that wheelchair guy.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #75
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso
 
Shawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,947
Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Just more evidence that he is jealous of the 'Big Aristotle'. :lol:
oh I doubt that very much, but Shaq is one of the rare exceptions; people who can get away with giving themselves their own nicknames.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 AM.