Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Reverse racism? Caucasian Club creates imbroglio

Quote:
A 15-year-old girl's effort to start a Caucasian Club at her California high school has won her some support and an avalanche of anger.

Freshman Lisa McClelland gathered about 250 signatures from students and adults to start a club at Freedom High School in Oakley, Calif., that would focus attention on European heritage and history.

Her campaign has won the support of many students, not all of them white, who say such a group would be no different from the school's other ethnic clubs, which include the Black Student Union, the Latinos Unidos and the ALOHA club for Asian-American students.
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...5056-2744r.htm

What do you think of this? I can see the point since there are groups for other ethnicities and you have to allow this is if you are truly promoting equality. But one difference is those are minority groups, while this one is not (come to think of, white caucasians will be a minority before long, thanks to hispanics, and I'm not exaggerating nor making any judgements, just a fact).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...5056-2744r.htm

What do you think of this? I can see the point since there are groups for other ethnicities and you have to allow this is if you are truly promoting equality. But one difference is those are minority groups, while this one is not (come to think of, white caucasians will be a minority before long, thanks to hispanics, and I'm not exaggerating nor making any judgements, just a fact).

Marc: there are many areas of the country where being a white of European decent is being in the minority; a caucasian in America is no longer the majority.

There is no more reason for affirmative action or minority assessments on race. We need to eliminate all race based groups; i.e., NAACP, et al., and make society more equal.

Celebrating African-American Month or Hispanic-American Day or Asian-American Week are all well-intensioned but in fact cause more harm than good. We are all Americans.

White Americans have been condemned for far too long. They have missed out on a generation's worth of scholarships and affirmative action plans which deliberately discriminated against them in favor of a minority. We have no real minorities in American any more. Academic programs should treat EVERYONE equally.

I disagree with this "15-year-old girl's effort to start a Caucasian Club" for the same reasons that I disagree with the NAACP; legally both have a right to exist but both are wrong. If this 15-year old is condemned than so should Julian Bond.

Equally means just that; not granting special opportunities to minorities. If we are to be equal, we need to accept the importance of all people, not just minorities.

When did you last hear of 'White' studies' on a college campus? However, there are thousands of curricula designed around 'black' and 'asian' and 'hispanic' studies...

Dr. Martin Luther King would not be pleased today...
Old 11-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

I personally think it could be a really good thing if what they learned and discovered regarding European and American Whites was balanced and objective. As an ex-teacher I would love to teach such a course, but sure it would end up being so controversial alot of the white parents would want to get it excluded from the curricullum.

It could bring alot of awareness and sensitivity to the white kids in the club learning how often the white person has consciously gone about destroying whole cultures, slaughtering, enslaving, controlling, and stealing from people of color for so many centuries.

It is pretty hard in high school for a teacher to teach the full truth about history and science. I was labeled all sorts of things 30 years ago just for trying to bring in a couple of simple historical truths into an U.S. History class.

Ignorance and prejudice of parents still pervade and influence the curriculum in our local school systems. Hopefully, it isn't as bad as it used to be. I was teaching in an extremely conservative/religious state back in the 70's.

So to have a club where kids explored and discovered those things on their own could be a good thing.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Isn't wrong to say that white people are a minority?

If you add the population of every other race together and then compare that total to the total population of white people in this country, then white people might be considered a minority (and I would like to see the proof of that total, as well), but that is a really backwards-way of trying to distinguish what particular race(s) should be or are considered minorities.

If the population of your race is greater than the population of each race individually, you are not a minority.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Is the girl of Kurdish, Georgian, Armenian or perhaps Azeri descent?

If she is, then there should be no objection to her club, as "Caucasian" means - or at least originally meant - from the region in or around the Caucasus Mountains.

But if she isn't ...
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I hope that we, as a society, get to a point where things like this are not considered for anything but what they are -- to study our heritage. People read too much into things like this. She does not appear to be starting a "White Supremacist" group here.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree with IntheNet here. Affirmative action should be outlawed. To think a school would take a minority/non-white just to meet predefined quotas is an outrage. For all the groups like the NAACP, they should realize the only ones making race an issue is them. I think biggest threat in regards to racism is class racism. Jerry Springer and such shows are not about making fun of any particular race since they are all fairly equally represented. It's about laughing at poor, uneducated people from rural areas. That's the real racism in this country.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote