Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Which bowl game are looking forward to the most?

Which one ya got your eye on? I guess this includes the BCS NC Game between Florida and Ohio State even though that isn't a bowl game. Or is it? I don't even know.

Anyway...here are the ones I am looking forward to the most (in order of anticipation)

1. The Rose Bowl: I think this is the best match up of the bowl season and would be even better if Ohio State was in it. It has the smallest line out of all the major bowls right now with Michigan giving Southern Cal about 2 points.

2. The Capital One Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Arkansas is a pretty good match up. If Florida can move up from #4 to #2 after beating the Razorbacks on a neutral field then I expect my Badgers to go thru the roof after we get 'em by at least 14.

3. The Outback Bowl: Tennessee vs. Penn State is another good one. I think this will be the toughest test for the Big Ten against the SEC this bowl season. Hopefully Morelli has improved since the MSU game.

4. The Cotton Bowl: Auburn vs. Nebraska looks like a good battle between two classic teams. I think the Tigers got the shaft with an inferior opponent here but we'll see how it plays out.

5. Emerald Bowl: FSU vs. UCLA in a match up of two teams going in opposite directions. It will be interesting to see how the Bruins handle success in this one.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Well I'll exclude the Outback Bowl (and BCS title game) since I'm obviously looking (very) forward to that one. But I wouldn't count on Morelli improving. I figure Penn State is going to have to try to win this one with defense and hope the offense doesn't make many mistakes. PSU came close to beating Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin with a dominant defense and conservative offensive game plan. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm...

1. Rose Bowl (Michigan vs Southern Cal)- Hard not to be excited about perhaps the best bowl match up. Which team deals with the disappointment of not playing in the national title game the best? Can Michigan overcome their shortcomings in recent bowl games? The Wolverines have lost 4 of their last 5 bowl games.

2. Citrus Bowl (Arkansas vs Wisconsin)- How will the Razorbacks' single wing attack do against the tough Badgers defense? How will the Badgers play in only their second big game of the season? This is Wisconsin's season. If they win and finish 12-1, they should be showered with respect. But if they lose, the Badgers will be exposed for playing a weak schedule.

3. Cotton Bowl (Auburn vs Nebraska)- Auburn has had a curious season (beating LSU and Florida, losing to Arkansas and Georgia) but could redeem themselves with a win on New Year's Day. Nebraska is still really a year away from competing on the national level but a win here could be a big stepping stone. And if they don't win, they'll post a rather crooked looking 9-5 record.

4. Peach Bowl (Georgia vs Virginia Tech)- Two teams that had somewhat rough seasons but look pretty good going into next season. A win here could be a good early boost for '07.

5. Alamo Bowl (Iowa vs Texas)- The Hawkeyes were a lot worse than anyone could've imagined and Texas got the shaft after losing to Texas A&M, dropping down to this lousy match up- or so it appears. Iowa will go all-out to win this one. Will Texas show up for this one?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Go ahead and include 'em all Alex. You don't need a disclaimer. I included the BCS NC Game. I'm just not very up for it.

That Alamo Bowl is interesting cuz I believe that one and one other bowl pit two teams who are separated by 3 wins (Iowa 6-6, Texas 9-3). Needless to say, Texas got the shaft. If there is one bowl game I have little hope of the Big Ten winning...it's this one.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Texas didnt get the shaft. They deserve to play there since being beat by the Aggies. If you have a shot at locking up a spot in the Big 12 championship game, and not only do you lose to your biggest rival on your home field, but you lose to Kansas State the week before.....

Not to mention, Texas may not have a QB playing. If McCoy isnt able to play, they will have to go with their 3rd string QB because their backup Snead is transferring.

The worst thing about this, is that we won the National Championship last year, so Mack Brown will stay around even longer. Im ready for him to leave.

Last edited by coachJ; 12-05-2006 at 08:05 PM.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
4. The Cotton Bowl: Auburn vs. Nebraska looks like a good battle between two classic teams. I think the Tigers got the shaft with an inferior opponent here but we'll see how it plays out.
Wasn't it Michigan who felt Nebraska was an inferior opponent going into last year's Alamo Bowl? And don't they look foolish for believing that, since Michigan got beat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ
Not to mention, Texas may not have a QB playing. If McCoy isnt able to play, they will have to go with their 3rd string QB because their backup Snead is transferring.
I was visiting with AJ Hoffman from the ESPN Radio affiliate in Austin, Texas earlier this year and he said that Colt McCoy was just a transitionable quarterback who won't be starting next season. Is this true?

As far as the bowl game I am most looking forward to, I want to see Kansas State and No. 16 Rutgers in the Texas Bowl on December 28th.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to the Outback Bowl the most. It'd be a surprising victory if PSU knocked off Tennessee as they are severely overmatched all across the board, but if it happened, it would give me a lot of hope for next season.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Well I'll exclude the Outback Bowl (and BCS title game) since I'm obviously looking (very) forward to that one. But I wouldn't count on Morelli improving. I figure Penn State is going to have to try to win this one with defense and hope the offense doesn't make many mistakes. PSU came close to beating Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin with a dominant defense and conservative offensive game plan. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm...
Defensively, the Wolverines registered a season-high seven sacks, eclipsing the Nittany Lions total from the season's first six games (six). U-M held PSU to negative 14 rushing yards on 25 carries, the lowest rushing output for an opponent since holding Oregon State to negative 19 yards in 1986.

..ok, does that sound like they nearly beat Michigan? It was never really close even though MI won by just 7.

Anyhow, of course I am going to watch the Rose Bowl, but I am also looking forward to the Motor City Bowl to be honest,..go Central!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Looking forward to Michigan and USC and Boise St and Oklahoma.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
brady_44
Sports Enthusiast

brady_44 is on a distinguished road

Michigan vs. USC -- the two teams everyone thought would play OSU.
ASU vs. Hawaii -- a potential high-scoring shootout.
brady_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
Looking forward to the Outback Bowl the most. It'd be a surprising victory if PSU knocked off Tennessee as they are severely overmatched all across the board, but if it happened, it would give me a lot of hope for next season.
I'm with Doug, can't wait to see Penn State in the Outback Bowl. A victory over Tennessee would be pretty huge. I'm also looking forward to the Rose Bowl. Texas A&M vs. Cal in the Holiday Bowl should be a good one. I'm interested to see how Wake Forest does in their first ever BCS Bowl.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
Texas didnt get the shaft. They deserve to play there since being beat by the Aggies. If you have a shot at locking up a spot in the Big 12 championship game, and not only do you lose to your biggest rival on your home field, but you lose to Kansas State the week before.....

The worst thing about this, is that we won the National Championship last year, so Mack Brown will stay around even longer. Im ready for him to leave.
I applaud the tough standards here. Ok...Texas didn't get the shaft.

Personally I think you should have to win your conference to get into a bowl.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
Severely overmatched across the board? On offense I'll buy it since they looked overmatched against just about everybody except Temple but I'll take this defense against anyone. If Kentucky can limit Tennessee to 17, I'm sure PSU can improve do that and then some.

Factors that will determine the game:
1. Is Ainge healthy? Tennessee's offense is as bad as PSU's with Crompton at QB.
2. PSU's secondary vs Tennessee's wideouts. King should take care of Meacham but I have my doubts about Davis, McCready and Wallace being able to cover Swain and Smith.
3. PSU offensive playcalling. Open it up, I think PSU could put up some big numbers on the Vols' defense. Same old crap and, well, it will be the same old PSU result against top notch opponents this year.

If Paterno rolls the dice and opens up the playbook a little bit, I think PSU could roll Tennessee. I like our athletes against their decent but not great defense but that match up does PSU no good if Paterno keeps them bottled up. Amazing. It's one thing if the opposing defense shuts down your offensive weapons but for their own coaches to do it is just puzzling. Offensive coaching and defensive coaching are polar opposites at PSU right now.

Heart says PSU 14, Tennessee 10. Head says something along the lines of Tennessee 13, PSU 7.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Ok, so with Ainge out their even at QB? Tennessee's line is better and I don't think PSU is as good as them defensively. There's a lot more speed on that Tenn defense.

Open it up? What makes you think that PSUs offense is able to open it up? Morelli hasn't exactly shown to be a prolific QB as is, what makes you think he can handle things being opened up?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #14
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
I was visiting with AJ Hoffman from the ESPN Radio affiliate in Austin, Texas earlier this year and he said that Colt McCoy was just a transitionable quarterback who won't be starting next season. Is this true?
I have no idea, and i havent heard anything like that. Its kind of hard to say that McCoy was just a transition QB when he breaks the TD record at Texas in his first year as a starter. Not to mention i believe if hes in the Kansas State game, Texas wins, and if hes 100% against the Aggies we pull out the W. Regardless, ill have to keep an eye out for this one because as far as i know, Snead was the only other recruit that we had, and im not even sure who the other QB's are.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Not including the obvious here I'm looking foward to:

Cotton Bowl: Interested to see how Auburn performs after somewhat of a let down year and Tommy Tubberville's "troubles" with the admin at Auburn.

Outback Bowl: I really hope fat Phil gets beat. Besides I get free tix each year to this one.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote