Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Muslim Headscarves Case...

Jail Agrees to Allow Headscarves for Muslim Inmates

ORANGE, Calif. A Southern California county will allow jailed Muslim women to wear headscarves after settling a lawsuit with a woman who claims that deputies violated her religious freedom by making her remove her hijab.

The settlement agreement signed by the county last week and released Monday specifies that Muslim women must be provided a private area to remove their headscarves after arrest and must be provided with county-issued headscarves to cover themselves when they are in the presence of men.

The county, which did not admit wrongdoing, will also pay $45,000 in damages. Plaintiff Jameelah Medina will get $10,000 after subtracting attorney fees, said Hector Villagra, director of the Orange County office of the American Civil Liberties Union.

A spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Department did not immediately return a call Monday from The Associated Press.

Medina, 30, was arrested in December 2005 in Pomona for having an invalid train pass. She spent 12 hours in jail but was never prosecuted.

Medina, a business trainer who lives in Rialto, said that during processing she was forced to remove her headscarf in the presence of a male deputy even though she explained that to do so violated her religious beliefs.

"I felt exposed and vulnerable," she said. "I don't think I could have felt more naked even if I had no clothes on."

Medina and her attorneys said the settlement was important because it addressed the county's concerns about safety while respecting Muslims' religious beliefs.

"We had a concern about religious rights and they had a concern about safety. We met halfway to ensure that nothing like this will ever happen again," Villagra said.

Associated Press
FOXNews.com
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446345,00.html

Good call?

Sounds fine by me.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Doesn't seem very controversial to me. Religious freedom should be accomodated whenever doing so is not a public danger or massive inconvenience.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

I agree....I might feel differently if it were a convicted criminal, but someone being processed deserves consideration for religious beliefs.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote