Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 06-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default For Whom The Bell Tolls...

It'll be nice to see Nifong's life get turned upside down like he did to the Duke players...

What goes around, comes around...

Nifong broke conduct rules, committee finds

District attorney who led Duke rape case could be stripped of law license

RALEIGH, N.C. - Mike Nifong broke numerous rules of professional conduct during his disastrous prosecution of three Duke University lacrosse players falsely accused of rape, committing “deceit and misrepresentations,” a disciplinary committee ruled Saturday.

The committee must now decide if the longtime prosecutor in Durham County, who has already pledged to resign his post as district attorney, should be stripped of his law license. That decision was expected later Saturday.

The North Carolina State Bar charged Nifong with breaking several rules of professional conduct, including lying to both the court and bar investigators and withholding critical DNA test results from the players’ defense attorneys.

The committee, after deliberating for a little more than an hour, unanimously agreed with the bar on almost every charge — including the most serious allegations — that Nifong’s actions involved “dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation.”

State Bar prosecutor Douglas Brocker told the committee that as Nifong investigated the allegations that a stripper was raped and beaten at a March 2006 party thrown by Duke’s lacrosse team, he charged “forward toward condemnation and injustice,” weaving a “web of deception that has continued up through this hearing.”

“Mr. Nifong did not act as a minister of justice, but as a minister of injustice,” Brocker said.

The verdicts did not appear to surprise Nifong, who acknowledged during sometimes tearful testimony Friday that he would likely be punished for getting “carried away a little bit” when talking about the case.

Disciplinary committee chairman F. Lane Williamson also hinted during Saturday’s closing arguments the three-member panel was likely to conclude that Nifong kept from the defense DNA test results that found genetic material from several men in the accuser’s underwear and body, but none from any lacrosse player.

“How can you possibly explain that away?” said Williamson, who repeatedly interrupted Nifong’s attorney, Dudley Witt, as he discussed the DNA testing during his closing statement.

“It wasn’t just one little oversight,” Williamson said later. “This was conduct over an extended period in a very high-profile case.”

Aware of those test results, Nifong pressed ahead with the case anyway and won indictments against Dave Evans, Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty. State prosecutors later concluded the three players were “innocent” victims of a rogue prosecutor’s “tragic rush to accuse.”

Nifong made “multiple, egregious mistakes” as he pursued the charges, but not intentionally, his attorney said in closing statements.

“It didn’t click,” Witt said as he tried to explain one of his client’s errors. “His mind is just his mind. That’s the way it works. It just didn’t click.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19264396/
Old 06-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, he has already said he is going to resign so now it is just a matter of whether he ends up getting disbarred or not.

Oh, and I am still waiting for Al Sharpton and Jesse to apologize for leading the witch hunt on these three guys. But, to my knowledge hell has not yet frozen over....
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post

Oh, and I am still waiting for Al Sharpton and Jesse to apologize for leading the witch hunt on these three guys. But, to my knowledge hell has not yet frozen over....
:lol:

& the shame is that it won't even happen then...
Old 06-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I know. I'd love to see someone in the media grow a pair and call them out on it the next time they are on TV promoting their agendas.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

After nearly destroying and permanently altering the lives of those players, he deserves everything he gets. And good point re: Sharpton, etc. When's the last time those guys apologized? They point to race as the root of everything it seems and they just take it too far.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Ex-Durham DA to be disbarred

RALEIGH, N.C. - A disciplinary committee says North Carolina prosecutor Mike Nifong will be disbarred for his handling of the Duke lacrosse rape case.

A disciplinary committee has found that Nifong broke numerous rules of professional conduct during his disastrous prosecution of three lacrosse players falsely accused of rape.

Nifong stated before the ruling that he would not appeal any punishment by the State Bar disciplinary committee.
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6929536

& who said there wasn't a God?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

As I said, I had no problem with Mr. Nifong bringing the charges initially. He was responding to a criminal complaint and believed the plaintiff. Unfortunately, her story proved to be a fabrication and the case fell apart around him. He convicted the players in the media without the trouble of going through a trial and when all the evidence showed he was wrong, he continued to persue the case as though nothing had happened. He refused to turn the evidence over to the defense and, has been said, basically destroyed these 3 kids' lives. They will survive, although their reputations have been tarnished. The very least that he can do is to apologize, publically, saying he was completely wrong and that these guys are not the "animals" he said they were. If he can restore their reputations, justice will be served.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

He officially submitted his letter of resignation today:

http://wral.com/news/local/story/1509633/

Duke reached a financial settlement with the three kids:

http://wral.com/news/local/story/1510319/
Old 06-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

Now, will the lying stripper get any punishment?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

You know who really got screwed is the coach. He was fired by Duke. Where are his reparations?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
You know who really got screwed is the coach. He was fired by Duke. Where are his reparations?
He already got them. Duke paid him off a couple of months ago and he got a book deal out of it as well. But, to be honest the guy probably should have been fired prior to this incident anyway. Over half the team had at least one arrest for an alcohol related incident. It was apparent that he was doing very little to keep his players in line.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Not to mention, the coach has a new position at another school. His reputation is not damaged too badly.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote