Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I have a feeling Arizona will beat Cal. Boy Miami killed Texas [email protected]
Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Wow. Really showed what I know. Miami crushed A&M.

It was really hard to watch that game. Hate the Canes, but hate Franchione as well.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Washington @ UCLA proves to be a good match-up. Don't know about a upset, I think you will have a better chance see the up-set in the Air Force/BYU game.

Note: IM going off your list for a couple of up-sets Mike, if you don't mind.

Georgia over Alabama
Michigan over Joe Pa

Have a safe Saturday guys
Old 09-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #19
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Michigan trying to upset Penn State today thanks mainly due to PSUs unbelievably bad coaching performance.

EDIT: And there goes Penn State...Morelli is not all that good, but this one is on the coaching staff more than anything else. They play-called a game right into the hands of Michigan and I have no idea why. Way too many runs, way too predictable in the play calling, not enough getting their WRs to use their speed and beat Michigan. It's as if Penn State said, you know, let's just back ourselves into a corner EVERY drive and see if we can work out of it. That'll be fun.

Last edited by HibachiDG; 09-22-2007 at 06:54 PM.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Morelli is a horrific. That coaches called a horrible game but the kid is a just flat out stupid. He has no idea what's going on out there. He got outplayed by a true freshman. We ought to give Devlin a shot. He can't possibly manage to accomplish anything less than what Morelli is right now.

The whole game I was thinking two-back sets, dives, etc., what the ****? Did the coaches not watch what Appy State and Oregon did to them? Obviously not. I say we pick plays out of a hat for the rest of the season. They can't possibly be any worse than allowing Jay and Galen to continue exercising their stupidity.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yeah I agree that Morelli is bad and wouldn't mind seeing another QB...and yeah, I'd chalk it up to just not being that smart, seems like the talent is there, but yeah, doesn't know what's going on out there. But, still, a lot of that I thought came down to the play calling in this one as they didn't give him a whole lot to throw and he never got into a rhythm.

App State lost to Wofford...hopefully we don't have Wofford on the schedule.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #22
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The upsets that weren't quite:
Ole Miss gave Florida a scare, on the scoreboard anyway. Someone actually see this game? Tebow's numbers were good, but they didn't translate into the route that they have ordinarily.

Nebraska 41, Ball State 40. The Cardinals gave it everything they had, but came an extra point and a wide left long field goal away from shocking the Huskers. This result raises two questions: 1. Why did Bill Callahan get a contract extension in the first week? 2. Will Nebraska ever return to former glory? Are the two answers inextricably linked?

The Upset that Was: Syracuse 38 @ Louisville 35
On one hand, I was happy to see Louisville go down, because I've come to really hate that program. (Is it some weird shadow of Schnellenberger?) On the other hand, I hated to see them fall, because they (and maybe Rutgers) were the only legitimate opponents on WVU's schedule. Now we only have Rutgers. Good for Syracuse. Bad for the Big East, though.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #23
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Florida definitely didn't put forth a very good effort, outside of Tebow and Harvin. This game scared me for sure, the whole not having won in Mississippi in 11 years was just lying there waiting to jump out and get the Gators.

That said, there were two plays late 3rd/early 4th that made it a much closer game than it should have been.

The TD by Ole Miss that made it 27-16 was a slant that dumbass safety Kyle Jackson tried to jump the route, whiffed terribly, and the WR took it in for the score. The guy is a senior who still plays like a freshman. I swear he makes the same type of error 3 or 4 times a season, he has been a starter and been benched 3 different times I think.

Speaking of freshmen, the TD that made it 27-24 was a beautiful throw by Adams on a go route where the WR ran right past freshman Joe Haden. He just got beat, but fellow freshman safety Major Wright was late getting over there to help and it went for a 71-yard TD.

Mistakes by two young guys and one upper classman who still plays like a young guy almost turned that game into a loss. Luckily, the Gators made it out alive, and hopefully learned a lesson in the process...

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Morelli is a horrific. That coaches called a horrible game but the kid is a just flat out stupid. He has no idea what's going on out there. He got outplayed by a true freshman. We ought to give Devlin a shot. He can't possibly manage to accomplish anything less than what Morelli is right now.

The whole game I was thinking two-back sets, dives, etc., what the ****? Did the coaches not watch what Appy State and Oregon did to them? Obviously not. I say we pick plays out of a hat for the rest of the season. They can't possibly be any worse than allowing Jay and Galen to continue exercising their stupidity.
I just got done watchin' the game on tape cuz I was in Columbus yesterday.

What a pathetic performance all around for Penn State. Scott should be cut. Like I said last week...go with Kinlaw. They still can't call for Morelli to throw anything but screens/into the flat. How many throws did this guy short yesterday? The defense played "ok" but Connor didn't make enough plays.

Hart "out-hearted" the Lions. 29 rushing attempts for PSU? Outrageous. Manningham and Arrington combine for 12 catches. I guess the great PSU secondary is a sham.

5-15 on 3rd downs?

God...by the time the 3rd quarter rolled around and it got to 3rd down you just knew Morelli was gonna blow.

Disgusting. I'd be sick for a month if I were a Penn State fan.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #25
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'd be sick if not for the fact that this has been the status quo for the last 15 years except for 1994 and 2005.

Penn State is a second tier program until someone willing to make changes takes over. You want to see a program take off in a hurry? Just wait until (hopefully) Brian Kelly or Jim Grobe gets their hands on this program.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #26
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Michigan continued their dominance over Penn St. Good for them.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #27
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'd be sick if not for the fact that this has been the status quo for the last 15 years except for 1994 and 2005.

Penn State is a second tier program until someone willing to make changes takes over. You want to see a program take off in a hurry? Just wait until (hopefully) Brian Kelly or Jim Grobe gets their hands on this program.
I remember debating this with you before and you holding firm with this stance and me saying it was wise for PSU to wait until the talent matured and to play conservative.

I was wrong. You were right.

Morelli's had 4 years in the system with 2 as a starter. Scott is fumbling once out of every twelve carries. Who even plays with that stat?

It's clear: they either don't know how to coach the talent or don't know how to play-call. Probably both cuz even superior talent couldn't do much with that conservative gameplan.

As far as PSU being 2nd tier check this out...

Since Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1993...

Penn State

Vs. Michigan 3-10 (lost last 9)

Vs. Ohio State 5-9 (lost 4 of last 5)

Vs. Wisconsin 4-6 (lost 3 of last 4)

Vs. Iowa 4-6 (lost last 5)

16-31 against the "Big 4."

Now the records of the other Big 4 against each other and PSU...

Ohio State: 30-17-1
Michigan: 32-15
Wisconsin: 20-22-1
Iowa: 15-28
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote