Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #31
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

Five most disappointing teams...

1) Dallas...because they are likely going to be the NFC's
# 1 seed in the playoffs.
2) Minnesota...because it also looks like they're going to
make the playoffs too.
3) Saints...because they'd probably be in line to make the
playoffs if they didn't BLOW IT AGAINST TAMPA!!!
4) Dolphins...because they had to go ahead and be boring
and win a game.
5) Ravens...for having a loser like Matt Stover who couldn't
make a field goal in overtime against a winless team.

Okay. That's my list.
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #32
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
They had a proven veteran QB in Trent Green, and they let him go. Herm Edwards has said all along that this job is Brodie Croyle's to lose. The front office pressured Herm to play Damon Huard at the start of the year because of the success that Huard had last season, and the backlash the organization felt after replacing Huard with Green at the end of last season. Once Huard got injured this season, Croyle took the job.

Huard is inked longterm as the backup and Croyle is the guaranteed starter for Kansas City next season. There is no need for the organization to seek out another veteran quarterback when there are more important issues and needs to be addressed.
With that being said... I had heard that the reason Brodie Croyle wasn't starting in the begginning of the season was because Huard out played him in the pre-season.

Edwards/The KC Organization wanted Croyle to win but he did not.

...And I know this team has other issues to worry about, but bringing in a guy to push Croyle (which Huard is not doing - obviously) wouldn't hurt at all. You have to have an effecient, productive, smart quarterback to win in this league, and the Chiefs are lacking in that area. So bringing in somebody to groom Croyle would be in the best interest of Da Chefs.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #33
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabramoff View Post
Five most disappointing teams...

1) Dallas...because they are likely going to be the NFC's
# 1 seed in the playoffs.
2) Minnesota...because it also looks like they're going to
make the playoffs too.
3) Saints...because they'd probably be in line to make the
playoffs if they didn't BLOW IT AGAINST TAMPA!!!
4) Dolphins...because they had to go ahead and be boring
and win a game.
5) Ravens...for having a loser like Matt Stover who couldn't
make a field goal in overtime against a winless team.

Okay. That's my list.
awsomeness.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #34
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Exactly why Chad Pennington would be ideal. Herm and him have an awsome relationship and Herm knows the formula to win with Chad's limitations and they have the build there. He would be perfect with that established running game and Tony as an awsome securtiy blanket.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #35
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

All valid points. But would you be bringing in Pennington to play, or would you be bringing him in to groom Brodie Croyle? Because the more Croyle watches from the sideline, the worse the situation becomes.

Now, I could understand the aspect of Herm & Chad's relationship, but I think the only way you can bring in a guy like Pennington is if you're going to assure Croyle the starting position and let him lose it to Pennington... if it comes down to that.

But you're right. A guy like Pennington would be great for Croyle IF Croyle gets the snaps.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #36
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

No not for Croyle. Chad is better for the Cheifs then Croyle is.. The Chiefs are and old team for the most part they need to win now. Let chad have the reigns for a year or to then go from there.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #37
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
No not for Croyle. Chad is better for the Cheifs then Croyle is.. The Chiefs are and old team for the most part they need to win now. Let chad have the reigns for a year or to then go from there.
That's not the answer. Pennington WILL NOT take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, even if they added a couple of decent receivers. This team is done winning now, and it's time to look towards the future. Croyle has to be the man now, and now only.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #38
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Ravens
Chiefs
Bears
Bengals
Aint's
Kind of a no-brainer, really, these were all teams with at least a decent shot at making the playoffs coming in, and they all pretty much stunk up the field all season. The Saints almost made the playoffs, but in the NFC South, a good team would've done much better. You could also make a case for the Lions, because they were one of the big surprises at the midpoint of the season, only to finish 1-7 and get yet another losing record.

Being a Packer fan, it's tough for me to classify the Bears season as disapointing, yet they did even worse than I had hoped.(It was, however pretty tough to stomach those two losses against them that kept the Packers from the #1 seed)
deavobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #39
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nobody has mentioned my Kansas City Chiefs?

They go from a playoff team last season (granted, they snuck in the backdoor) to now tied for last place with the Oakland Raiders in the worst division in professional football. They have lost seven-straight games and are showing no signs of improvement.
Sorry, but top to bottom, the worst division is the AFC East. H2H the West would win 3 of the 4 games(NE being the obvious exception) How bad the AFC East was this year has been overshadowed by NE's success
deavobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #40
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deavobadger
Sorry, but top to bottom, the worst division is the AFC East. H2H the West would win 3 of the 4 games(NE being the obvious exception) How bad the AFC East was this year has been overshadowed by NE's success
Well, the two divisions did go 2-2 against each other this season (and one of those wins for the AFC West was a last second field goal for Jason Elam in week one to give Denver a 15-14 win over Buffalo).

If you rank the teams in the two divisions, here is how it looks:

1.) New England (16-0)
2.) San Diego Chargers (11-5)
3.) Denver Broncos (7-9)
4.) Buffalo Bills (7-9)
5.) New York Jets (4-12)
6.) Kansas City Chiefs (4-12)
7.) Oakland Raiders (4-12)
8.) Miami Dolphins (1-15)

Both divisions are bad, but I think top to bottom the worst division in football is the AFC West.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #41
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Both divisions are bad, but I think top to bottom the worst division in football is the AFC West.
I don't know I might give the slight edge to the NFC West as the worst in football based on the fact that they are in the weaker conference and not one of its teams was better than .500 when playing teams outside of their division.

Seattle and Arizona were 5-5 and San Fran and St. Louis were 2-8.

Both divisions were 14-26 when playing non-divisonal foes but San Diego was 6-4 and I just think they are a slightly better team overall and had two regular season wins against playoff teams in Indy and Tennessee while Seattle's lone win against a team with a winning record came at home against Tampa Bay. The rest of the teams in those divisions are a wash.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #42
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Eagles should be in the top five. I'd say Carolina, but the season would have been much different with Delhomme healthy at QB, but I'd have to say the NY Jets. Seriously, from 10-6 and in the playoffs to 4-12. Yikes. I'd say the Jets are number 3 on the list after Chicago and New Orleans.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote