Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #16
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
That is true Moss did command a premium price but I honestly would not put Johnson in Moss' class simply because Moss is a once in a generation athlete and he brings more upside to how he affects a game than Johnson does. Johnson is a great player but he just not as unique of a talent in terms of his speed, athleticism, and height that Moss is. Moss was once seen as a guy who was untouchable in terms of a trade and I am just not sure Johnson has that kind of mystique about him. He is closer to T. O. in terms of what he brings to the table than Randy Moss.

Secondly, Moss was only 27 when he was dealt to Oakland while Johnson turns 30 in a couple of days. Three years is a lot in terms of a NFL career.
All valid points.... :thumbup:

You are correct, Moss was a very unique talent, but I don't think Chad is that far behind. Johnson lead the AFC in receiving yards 4 years in a row, and had his best year of his career this season... He is not showing any signs of slowing down...

You also have to consider his durability... Chad hasn't missed a game since his rookie season...

I agree, Johnson doesn't command the same value as Moss did a few years ago, but I say it is close... Maybe a 1st and 4th round?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #17
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It's never gonna happen ... never, ever, ever.

First off, trading high draft picks has become an iron-clad no-no in Philly ever since the infamous Mike McCormack Follies of the 1970s: The Eagles have not traded away a #1 for a veteran player since 1989 (Ron Solt), and haven't even traded away a #2 for such a player since 1998 (Hugh Douglas) - the year before Andy Reid arrived.

Second, Chad Johnson has the same agent as T.O. - Drew Rosenhaus - and right now he's pulling essentially the same thing in Cincinnati that T.O. pulled in Philly three years ago.

Can't see Jeffrey Lurie and Joe Banner even considering this.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Second, Chad Johnson has the same agent as T.O. - Drew Rosenhaus - and right now he's pulling essentially the same thing in Cincinnati that T.O. pulled in Philly three years ago.
Not really... Chad hasn't criticized the organization, called out his QB and demanded a trade... has he?

Think Fresh.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I think Anthony is referring to Johnson carping about his contract, though, I thought that was put to rest when he signed an extension back in '06.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
I think Anthony is referring to Johnson carping about his contract, though, I thought that was put to rest when he signed an extension back in '06.
Yeah, I haven't heard a word about his contract out of his mouth,

Think Fresh.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #21
Anthony

Quote:

Well now he wants to renegotiate, and Rosenhaus is threatening "dire consequences" if the Bengals don't do so.

Furthermore, Chad Johnson and Donovan McNabb is most definitely a match made in a place other than heaven.

Eagle fans will be lucky if Donte' Stallworth ends up coming back, or they sign someone like Devery Henderson in free agency.

All this talk about Chad Johnson - or Larry Fitzgerald, or Roy Williams - is totally off the wall.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #22
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm on the fence here. It would depend on the trade. IF the Bengals got a 1st and 3rd round pick, it would be worth it especially if the team was a "bad" team with high draft picks...
The problem is, the "bad teams" wouldn't give up this years 1st and 3rd, because they're just too valuable. Maybe just a first(Top 5 or so). Or maybe 2 second rounders. The exact picks will vary greatly based on where the receiving team is drafting. (NE would need a first and second) So it's just way too much speculation for me.

Also, if they trade for future picks, they're greatly upgrading the the team that they're trading to, thus effectively decreasing the probable value of the picks as soon as the trade is complete.

Kinda funny how that all works out.
deavobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #23
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

What they would potentially get back likely depends on who initiates the trade. If they are letting teams know Johnson is available they are probably not likely to get as much back as the perception is going to be there that the Bengals are looking to unload him. They probably get more back if they sit back and let teams come to them about the availability of Johnson.

The Eagles got T. O. for a backup DT and a #5 pick because the Niners were desperate to get anything for him and everyone knew it. The Raiders got a second day pick for Moss because they were desperate to unload him and everyone knew it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Good point doub...

My prediction: they won't unload him because they will be asking too much - as they should.

Think Fresh.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #25
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

Remember the last time a loud mouth, idiot wide receiver came to Philly, oh yeah, it was a major problem. That organization can't handle Chad Johnson right now, it would be a disaster.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #26
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Remember the last time a loud mouth, idiot wide receiver came to Philly, oh yeah, it was a major problem. That organization can't handle Chad Johnson right now, it would be a disaster.
Wow... When will people quit comparing Chad to T.O.?

"Idiot?" - How so?

Think Fresh.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #27
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

They are the kings of ridiculous end zone celebrations. Who else has had so many penalties and fines for being "idiots." If you like the celebrations, that's fine, then they wouldn't be idiots to you. But that makes them idiots to me. They're also comparable because they are good, athletic receivers.
Why do you find them so different?
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #28
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
They are the kings of ridiculous end zone celebrations. Who else has had so many penalties and fines for being "idiots." If you like the celebrations, that's fine, then they wouldn't be idiots to you. But that makes them idiots to me. They're also comparable because they are good, athletic receivers.
Why do you find them so different?
T.O. is highly disruptive and negative towards teamates/coaches to the media.

Chad is a team player and highly liked by his QB, coach, and other teamates. He says the right things and works hard with Palmer.

Think Fresh.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #29
Anthony

Well how come T.O. has not been disruptive in Dallas? Could it be that they have an owner and a head coach who both treat him like a mature human being - something that Lurie, Banner and Reid (and also McNabb) adamantly refused to do?

While I won't get into any detailed comparisons of T.O. and Chad Johnson, suffice it to say that Johnson doesn't fit the Mormon Tabernacle Choirboy stereotype the Eagles' management demands that its players strictly adhere to, so there is no shot of Johnson coming to Philly (and that's beside the issue of their being reflexively averse to trading away high draft picks for veteran players - and Johnson will turn 30 before the 2008 season gets under way).
Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #30
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well how come T.O. has not been disruptive in Dallas? Could it be that they have an owner and a head coach who both treat him like a mature human being - something that Lurie, Banner and Reid (and also McNabb) adamantly refused to do?
He was last year. You don't remember the blow ups he had when he wasn't getting the ball last year? Or, when he apparently had a blow up with his position coach because he expected TO to stay awake during meetings?

The only reason he has not been disruptive this year is because the team is winning and Wade Phillips stays out of his way.