Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #121
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Buy or Sell Tony Dungy coaching the Colts next year.
I am on the fence on this one, but I will lean towards selling it.

Even if Tony Dungy were to come back in a couple of seasons with a new team, it will be tough for Tony to have to surround himself with the type of talent that has gotten him places and made him a contender almost every year in Indianapolis. But I don't think you take a full week to contemplate whether or not to come back unless you are seriously burnt out, and for he and his family's sake I hope he does take a break from the game after the emotional last couple of seasons he has experienced.

If Dungy is serious about never coaching again in the NFL if he leaves, then I don't think he walks away from this team just yet. That is why I am on the fence.

As SoonerCenturion mentioned, Dungy is a solid human being and the NFL needs to do all it can to keep him involved in the league and to make him a spokesperson for a sport that has its fair share of negative attributes.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #122
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCenturion View Post
I'll Buy it

Dungy is a solid human being, and the NFL could use more men like him. He's a leader, and a helluva coach. Who would the Colts get to replace him?
Jim Caldwell. John Clayton was on Mike and Mike this morning saying if Dungy retires Caldwell will be elevated to HC and if Dungy comes back for another year Caldwell will be dubbed the heir apparent.

Quote:
I also feel like Dungy wants to win another one before hanging it up for good.
Which is why I think he might be back in another couple of years.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #123
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

SoonerCenturion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Jim Caldwell. John Clayton was on Mike and Mike this morning saying if Dungy retires Caldwell will be elevated to HC and if Dungy comes back for another year Caldwell will be dubbed the heir apparent.

Which is why I think he might be back in another couple of years.

both solid points, but who is to say that if he comes back that he goes to a team capable of winning a super bowl?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #124
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

There is no guarantee that will happen for him. But Dungy is cut from a slightly different mold than most coaches and he puts his family and his faith well above football in his life. Besides, if his heart is not 100% in it then he owes to Indy to step away and let someone else coach the team.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #125
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I also feel like Dungy wants to win another one before hanging it up for good.
I'm selling for that very reason... I think because of the Patriots and level they are playing at now, and the upset by the Chargers... he realizes another SB will be even harder these days.

I think he calls it quits and then may return in a year or two...
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #126
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
I'm selling for that very reason... I think because of the Patriots and level they are playing at now, and the upset by the Chargers... he realizes another SB will be even harder these days.

I think he calls it quits and then may return in a year or two...

maybe he picks up the cowboys in a year or two?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #127
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
maybe he picks up the cowboys in a year or two?
If Cowher does not beat him to it. :lol:

They are already speculating that if Phillips does not get the Cowboys over the hump next year he'll be gone.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #128
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
If Cowher does not beat him to it. :lol:

They are already speculating that if Phillips does not get the Cowboys over the hump next year he'll be gone.
I say you give the reigns to Jason Garrett, he's got the "it" factor for coaches, let him be emmersed for a year with a bunch of solid assistants and a good team, and in 2 years he'll be awesome!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #129
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I say you give the reigns to Jason Garrett, he's got the "it" factor for coaches, let him be emmersed for a year with a bunch of solid assistants and a good team, and in 2 years he'll be awesome!
But the offense really seemed to fall apart down the stretch and his play calling seemed to leave something to be desired. Besides, he may not even be there when the time comes as he is rumored to be the Ravens top choice.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #130
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

Buy
I do think Dungy will coach another year. The Colts went 13-3 this year with a team plagued by injuries. A year without those injuries they're right there competing with the Patriots for the AFC championship again next year. I think Dungy knows this and knows he has a lot of good elements in place for at least another year or two to make a run.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 AM   #131
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

This one died out a bit - and I think we may have our answer in the next few days any way.

PS - I was thinking of making a rule change and allowing the Mods that say "Next Topic" to be able to post the next topic. Originally I thought they shouldn't be able to post because some might think they changed the topic just so they could post something they wanted to... but I don't see that happening.

So I'd like to say that if a Mod does in fact say "Next Topic" they can post the next topic if they like. However, I'll leave the board open for someone else this time Thank you.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #132
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

I'll go along with that.

And with that in mind:

BUY or SELL -

A team is capable of making a deep playoff run (defined as at least reaching the conference title game) with David Garrard as its starting quarterback.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #133
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I'll buy that... I really like what Garrard did this season. Unfortunetly they ran into New England - but if you watched that game, Garrard really had a good game. New England basically played defense to stop the run (arguably the best 1-2 combo Jones-Drew / Taylor in the game) and they did that, holding them to 66 yards. They wanted Garrard to pass the ball and I thought he did that very well.
I think he showed he can make plays (the Pittsburgh game) and can be counted on when it comes down to him. Remember he is young, so we are just seeing what he is capable of now - I think he'll get better as time goes on. Jax seems to be a great fit for him.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 AM   #134
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

I'll sell. He will never be an accurate passer in this league. George W. Bush should send David Garrard to Iran - because Garrard could overthrow Mahmoud Ahmadinejad!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #135
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

I'll buy.

Garrard was impressive in the game against the Pats. If his receivers had dropped a few less passes, most notably that third down pass to Northcutt (I believe) at the 1 that probably would have been a td, the game might have been closer at the end. Keeping in mind that Jacksonville was more a defensive, run-the-ball team this season, Garrard played a good game.

Perhaps more importantly, being that defensive, run-oriented team, he usually won't have to try and carry the offense. If Trent Dilfer could win with Baltimore, I certainly think Garrard could do it with Jax.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote