Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road
Default LJ to Green Bay?

http://www.todaystmj4.com/sports/local/8458417.html

Doubt it will happen, but wouldn't that be a load off of Favre's shoulders!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
NickFeely
Sports Enthusiast

NickFeely is on a distinguished road

wow, GB immediately becomes one of three or four favorites to win the NFC if this happens
NickFeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Someone needs to pour cold water on this awful idea, so it might as well be me: You don't mortgage your future for a quick fix - never, ever, ever!

Among other reasons, this sort of thing has an uncanny way of becoming habit-forming: What if, this time next year, the Packers feel that they're one wide receiver away from becoming "one of the three or four favorites to win the NFC"? Then another #1 draft pick gets traded away. Then the year after that you're one middle linebacker away, etc.

Then one morning, you wake up and you don't have a #1 draft pick for another four or five years, your roster's median age is the oldest in the league, and you're in salary-cap hell because all these aging veterans cannot help but be more expensive than younger players, pursuant to the seniority-based wage scale that has been in effect since the 1982 players' strike was settled.

The surest way to avoid any addiction is never to take that first fix.

If the Green Bay front office has one ounce of common sense, they will turn and run from this, as far as they can and as fast as they can.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I'm in total agreement on this, Anthony...

'lizbeth...I'm comin'!!! This is the Big One....

Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
If the Green Bay front office has one ounce of common sense, they will turn and run from this, as far as they can and as fast as they can.
There is nothing to turn and run from, because Kansas City isn't going to trade Larry Johnson.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
There is nothing to turn and run from, because Kansas City isn't going to trade Larry Johnson.

You're probably right; but then again, how productive is Johnson likely to be this year with every defense he faces shoving eight and nine guys in the box to stop him and make KC's underwhelming - to put it charitably - quarterbacks beat them?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Someone needs to pour cold water on this awful idea, so it might as well be me: You don't mortgage your future for a quick fix - never, ever, ever!
Yep, just look at how the Yankees are faring. They continually give up prospects to get that one player to get them over the top and now they are left with little quality talent in the upper levels of its minor league system and are struggling to stay over .500.

That is one thing I give teams like the Pats and Eagles credit for. They never bite on overspending to obtain superstar players that will hamstring them over the long run in terms of the salary cap. And they still manage to make the playoffs most years.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
NickFeely
Sports Enthusiast

NickFeely is on a distinguished road

While it might be a bad choice for Green Bay's future, it doesn't make my statement any less true. I didn't claim it to be the best move for Green Bay's franchise, technically I didn't even condone it, I was just saying that it boosts Green Bay's talent level a lot this year. Possibly to the near-top of the NFC.
NickFeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFeely View Post
While it might be a bad choice for Green Bay's future, it doesn't make my statement any less true. I didn't claim it to be the best move for Green Bay's franchise, technically I didn't even condone it, I was just saying that it boosts Green Bay's talent level a lot this year. Possibly to the near-top of the NFC.

But is one year of going "possibly to the near-top of the NFC" worth the risk of ending up like the Panthers did in 2001?

I for one don't think so.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I doubt they'd do it because they spent a high pick on a RB already. And they really do need another receiver as they never replaced Walker. Anyway, I'm not as opposed to this as Anthony. There's always a flip side. You could also criticize a team for not taking chances and always building for the future. The Packers are already one of the youngest teams, and trading one pick away doesn't mean they're suddenly going to turn into the Redskins and only sign aging veterans in the name of winning now.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
Dany70
Rookie Player

Dany70 is on a distinguished road

Jep think so
Dany70 is offline   Reply With Quote