Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-06-2002, 12:05 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Does Tony Gonzalez Deserve WR Money?

Quote:
Chiefs withdraw long-term offer to Gonzalez

http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi...143_59,00.html

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson said Sunday he is rescinding his long-term contract offer to tight end Tony Gonzalez until Gonzalez gives up his dream of playing in the NFL and NBA.

This is something Gonzalez has said he would not do.

"I always believed if you're going to make a commitment to one sport, you have to make it completely," said Peterson, who for years has bitten his tongue while Gonzalez played in summer basketball leagues.

"And that means year-round and everything you're doing."

Gonzalez, who suffered an ankle injury while playing for the Miami Heat's summer- league team, is holding out for wide receiver-type money. He turned down a long-term deal that included a signing bonus of about $8 million.
I think you can guess my stance on this -- he should quit playing basketball and focus on what he's good at. Let's see ... starting All-Pro TE or wanna-be summer league player. Tony, it's time to get serious!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
ABDUL
Banned

ABDUL is on a distinguished road

I agree, however the Chiefs and Carl Peterson should pay him more cash. He is the best player on the team. Carl Peterson has a reputation of being a tight-ass, and never getting his players signed in a timely fashion. It may be time to let Mr. Peterson leave. Chief fans want the players signed and he simply is not getting the job done.
ABDUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:34 PM   #3
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

magman1621 is on a distinguished road

If he is putting up WR stats pay him WR $$$.
magman1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #4
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by magman1621
If he is putting up WR stats pay him WR $$$.
Perfect...simple and to the point...I agree
and he can do what he wants in the off season...if he wants to play basketball as well they should respect that.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:58 PM   #5
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

I would agree that if Gonzalez is going to put up WR stats, then he should be paid accordingly.

BUT if he is going to continue to pursue playing basketball, then I am in Carl Petersons corner, I would not pay him what he wants without agreement and payback for possible injuries that may occur. Gonzalez should also forfeit money in accordance with an agreement for every minute of football that is missed(whether it be a workout, weightlifting session, team workouts, etc.) Virtually every pro athlete has things written in there contracts that they can and cannot do. The owners want insurance for there investments, that means not getting hurt playing another sport or engaging in dangerous activities. An example of this was Jeff kent earlier this year. It is why he lied about how he hurt his wrist. Michael Jordan had it in his contract that he was able to play basketball in the summer time at certain Chicago locations, but only the ones in his contract. Kobe Bryant had to be given permission for his venture to Rucker park earlier this summer. Brian Urlacher has an agreement with the Bears management that he can play basketball pick up games, I believe at Urbana College and one other location, but if he is injured and misses time working out for football, he will be penalized.

Owners and GM's do not need occurances like the RB for the Pats, Robert Edwards, a couple of years ago who got hurt playing flag football and who has yet to play a football game since. Now money wise it didnt hurt the Pats because they just released him, its the NFL and money is not guarnteed in this league, but it hurt the make up of the team, they now had a void to fill.

When a player signs a contract, its for years, not just the games on the schedule.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 01:03 AM   #6
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I agree with several people on this thread. I agree with Magman and others who said he deserves money for the stats he puts up and how meaningful he is to that team's success. I also agree with #47 when he states that if Gonzalez is going to pursue other sporting activities that could produce possible injuries, then I would not pay him either.

But hey now this brings up a very good question.....since contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed could the Chiefs just cut Gonzalez if he were to get injuried playing basketball?.....or would Gonzalez get most of his money up front in a signing bonus in which the Chiefs would lose money if he did get injuried resulting from basketball? I would figure he would get a very large signing bonus like Ray Lewis got with the Ravens.

I don't think Gonzalez should pursue his basketball dreams when his talents and livelyhood are based with his football abilities. But I guess we all have dreams growing up, and if we can't pursue our dreams in life then that is taking away some of the very core of our being. But I am sure that Gonzalez has football dreams as well....I just think he should stick to those dreams in the NFL.

Joey
Old 08-07-2002, 04:38 PM   #7
Sports Virtuoso

The signing bonus he would get to keep unless otherwise noted in his contract. Many contracts have stipulations regarding conduct off the field. An example may be, if you get suspended due to drugs or felony conviction or something along those lines, it may have been negotiated right into the contract that you could forfeit some of your signing bonus, basically pay it back, but that is all taken care of in negotiations and know one contract is exactly the same.

My problem isnt with Gonzalez pursuing a dream of playing hoop, I have no problem with that. But if he does, he shouldnt expect the Chiefs to dole out the kind of money he wants.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:03 PM   #8
kevingrt
Sports Enthusiast

kevingrt is on a distinguished road

Why wouldn't Tony deserve WR money? HJe has WR numbers and he helps his team to the fullest. The Chiefs should give him however much money they think he should be payed. I mean if they overpay him they are stupid, but that's what you get with any sports organization this year, stupid general managers.
kevingrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 08:12 PM   #9
Sports Virtuoso

Ummm........ you certainly dont mean there all stupid(as it sounds in your post) do you? Because there are many in each sport who have proven over and over they know what there doing.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:42 PM   #10
ampesand
Grizzled Veteran

ampesand is on a distinguished road

definitley worth the money
ampesand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:13 PM   #11
kevingrt
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
Ummm........ you certainly dont mean there all stupid(as it sounds in your post) do you? Because there are many in each sport who have proven over and over they know what there doing.
I'm sorry if you took my words out of context, but I live in Chicago and every General Mananger in Chicago is below average or average. And I bet you less then 50 percent of general managers in the major sports aren't doing the best they can at there job.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:27 PM   #12
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

magman1621 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by kevingrt

I'm sorry if you took my words out of context, but I live in Chicago and every General Mananger in Chicago is below average or average. And I bet you less then 50 percent of general managers in the major sports aren't doing the best they can at there job.
What are you talking about??? First of all less than 50% can be a lot of things it can be 1% of all general managers or 49% of all general managers are in your own words "stupid." Personally, i think your just an angry Bears fan who is mad that my Eagles kicked your team out of the playoffs during soldier field's last name. Why else would you say that less than 50% of all general managers are not doing the best they can. Of course they are doing the best they can!!! If there is a lack of any effort they would be fired on the spot. General managers are some of the hardest working people in the world keeping up with scouting players all over the world and watching as many games as possible to look to add something to their team. To say that these guys aren't trying is absurd. There are trades happening all the time, who are the people who are making these trades? Who are the people who help negotiate all these top players contracts? I don't think you know what your talking about...
magman1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:50 PM   #13
Blueswade
Grizzled Veteran

Blueswade is on a distinguished road

This is just a back handed way for Peterson to trade Tony and get a big ass pile of draft picks for next year...you just watch.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:17 AM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I agree Marc make a commitment to basketball or football. I think he would be wise to remain a tight end, but I would certainly give him a fair workout at wide receiver.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:42 AM   #15
kevingrt
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by magman1621

What are you talking about??? First of all less than 50% can be a lot of things it can be 1% of all general managers or 49% of all general managers are in your own words "stupid." Personally, i think your just an angry Bears fan who is mad that my Eagles kicked your team out of the playoffs during soldier field's last name. Why else would you say that less than 50% of all general managers are not doing the best they can. Of course they are doing the best they can!!! If there is a lack of any effort they would be fired on the spot. General managers are some of the hardest working people in the world keeping up with scouting players all over the world and watching as many games as possible to look to add something to their team. To say that these guys aren't trying is absurd. There are trades happening all the time, who are the people who are making these trades? Who are the people who help negotiate all these top players contracts? I don't think you know what your talking about...
Personally magman, I'm not a Bears fan but a Bills fan that lives in Chicago. I'm mad about General Managers because if any of you follow the Chicago WhiteSox, oh my god, get Kenny Williams out....