Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default FCS (I-AA) playoffs may expand to 18 teams...

I-AA playoffs may expand to 18 teams

The Division I-AA football playoffs will grow by two teams to 18 next season if the NCAA board of directors approves expansion at its April meeting.

One of the teams will be a conference champion and the other an at-large entry. The proposal was approved by the Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet last week.

Still to be determined: how to encompass an extra week in the schedule and which conference will receive an automatic qualifier. The new field will have nine conference champs and nine at-large schools.

I-AA (now Football Championship Subdivision) has had a playoff since 1978. The I-A (Football Bowl Subdivision) champ is decided in the Bowl Championship Series or Associated Press poll.

By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...terstitialskip

We'll have to monitor this one closely.

One of the main points Big Ten commish Delany and Pac Ten commish Hansen make in the fight against the plus 1/BCS is that playoffs over time always expand to include more and more teams.

The pro-plus 1/BCS people just ignore. Well, history isn't their strong suit...to say the least.

Here's the template...I-AA (FCS).

1978: 4 teams
1981: 8 teams
1982: 12 teams
1986: 16 teams
2007: 18 teams?

I'm actually kinda shocked it took 'em so long to do it...if it indeed gets done.

I also love how the author says The I-A (Football Bowl Subdivision) champ is decided in the Bowl Championship Series or Associated Press poll.

Huh? I didn't get the memo from President Brand outta Indianapolis saying the NCAA sanctioned a I-A (FBS) champion.

No wonder I just got done blasting "journalists" in the Gundy thread.

We should give everyone a trophy. We're all winners! :thumbsup2:

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 09-25-2007 at 05:23 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers

Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road

The even funnier thing is that the 1-A system has tried to use the excuse that adding more games will be too taxing on the players. Don't the 1-AA teams currently play 15 games including the playoffs, so one more round would make it the same number of games as the NFL season?

Gotta love it...

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Levers View Post
The even funnier thing is that the 1-A system has tried to use the excuse that adding more games will be too taxing on the players. Don't the 1-AA teams currently play 15 games including the playoffs, so one more round would make it the same number of games as the NFL season?

Gotta love it...
I've heard that line of thinking before but have never seen the NCAA, or an agent of the NCAA, ever officially mention it.

In any event...playoffs are necessary at the I-AA (FCS) for whole athletic departments to survive. It's a welfare case. Communism at best.

The I-A (FBS) level has always relied on the bowl system to prosper and until the BCS...it had worked beautifully with each team and conference being able to negotiate on their own terms.

That's one of the reasons why the Pac Ten has been hinting at getting out IMO. The shear amount of money they've lost over the last 9 years has got to be staggering.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote