Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #31
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
Is it just me, or are those AFC teams vastly more impressive than the NFC ones? It's more than just the regular season records, the fact that the Eagles barely made it in, or that the Cards won the weakest division in football. The Ravens and Steelers both seem like stronger teams; the only question I have is how badly beat-up they are by their respective playoff runs, and if that will affect the SB contender. Barring that being a factor, I am already expecting an AFC victor this year, whichever of the 4 teams go to the SB.
I don't know the Eagles flat out dominated the Steelers earlier this year so I don't know that the AFC are inifinitely better than the NFC teams. The thing with the Steelers is that they struggle mightily against teams that bring pressure. With the Ravens you always have to wonder when the other shoe is going to drop for a rookie QB in the playoffs.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #32
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'm more impressed with the NFC teams at this point.

Both Conferences had a vastly overrated one-dimensional team that couldn't really get their defensive to another level...Panthers and Titans. The Chargers, Eagles and Cardinals all turned out better than we thought they would be going into the playoffs, the Eagles and Cardinals significantly moreso than the Chargers.

Like doublee pointed out, the Ravens are still rolling with a rookie QB, the bottom could drop out there and really, it's difficult to say the Steelers are more impressive than the Eagles despite the Eagles backing in. The Eagles are a more complete team than the Steelers, I would say.

And, really, so are the Cardinals. Right now, the NFC teams are winning with great offense, great defense. The Steelers and Ravens are winning with great defense and manageable offense.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #33
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The thing with the NFL this year is that there were not any teams that really stood out when you looked at them and said that team is the team to beat this year. Just about every team has a glaring weakness this year that can exploited when matched up against the right team.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #34
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, the AFC won the inter-conference season series this year, going 34-29-1 against the NFC.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #35
htown
Rookie Player

htown is on a distinguished road

Steeler vs Ravens
Both teams have great defenses. If the D's cancel each other out, then I think the Offenses of both teams are the key.
Big Ben would seem to have the advantage over the rookie Flacco.
Flacco needs a big game for the Ravens to win.
He seems capable of pulling it off but Ben has the edge here.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #36
htown
Rookie Player

htown is on a distinguished road

cardinals vs eagles
thanksgiving meeting was a blowout by philly.
Amazingly they rarely blitzed in the game, instead dropping 7 into coverage forcing warner to find the seldom open reciever before the front 4 could reach him.
Warner's quick release is ideal vs the blitz.
eagles good at disguising the coverage, faking the blitz, and zone blitzing.
They really mix it up well and put the pressure on the QB to make quick decisions. Eagles should win this game.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #37
Anthony

Eagles fans ended up with the worst of both worlds: Not only aren't they going to the Super Bowl, but both Fat Boy and McChoke will surely be back for 2009, and beyond! :thumbdown:
Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #38
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, because it was McNabb's fault the defense went conservative on the Cards last possession and let them score that TD.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #39
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Eagles fans ended up with the worst of both worlds: Not only aren't they going to the Super Bowl, but both Fat Boy and McChoke will surely be back for 2009, and beyond! :thumbdown:
Anthony - you are seem like a fair-weathered fan. You knock the Eagles all season... then after the turn-around you jump on the bandwagon. Then they lose the NFC champ game and you are back to bashing them...

McNabb played a hell of a game... Eagles defense blew it on the Cards final drive.

Seriously bro - are you an Eagles fan or what?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #40
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Anthony - you are seem like a fair-weathered fan. You knock the Eagles all season... then after the turn-around you jump on the bandwagon. Then they lose the NFC champ game and you are back to bashing them...

McNabb played a hell of a game... Eagles defense blew it on the Cards final drive.

Seriously bro - are you an Eagles fan or what?

How can you sit there and say that McNabb didn't CHOKE on that final drive?

And him and Fat Boy are now 1-4 in five conference championship games, despite having been favored in four of the five - and the only one they did win was over a domed-stadium team in a single-digit wind chill.

Bill Cowher and Corn on the Kolb - now that's change I can believe in!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #41
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

First off... sorry for calling you a "fair weather" fan - I know you are passionate (as crazy as you are!)

Dude,,, you put all the blame on McNabb... and yeah, the QB always gets jobbed in that aspect - but I cant put that loss on McNabb.

Their defense played horrible and the Eagles found themselves in a big hole in the first half. McNabb then played great football but the defense could not step up when they needed them to.

It was a team loss IMO... saying McNabb choked is just what all the Philly fans do... I seriously have more respect for McNabb after this season. That guy gets the most sh1t I've ever seen a QB get and he just laughs it off. Dude's got a good attitude if you ask me.

Right now, McNabb gives the Eagles the best shot at a SB... I'll agree Reid could go - I do think they need a change at head coach, and there are a lot of coaches out there right now.

But lay off McNabb... jeez...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 AM   #42
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
First off... sorry for calling you a "fair weather" fan - I know you are passionate (as crazy as you are!)

Dude,,, you put all the blame on McNabb... and yeah, the QB always gets jobbed in that aspect - but I cant put that loss on McNabb.

Their defense played horrible and the Eagles found themselves in a big hole in the first half. McNabb then played great football but the defense could not step up when they needed them to.

What about the fact that the offense didn't score a touchdown in the first half? That in no way contributed to the hole?

But their cornerbacks were completely overmatched in a purely physical sense by Arizona's receivers. There has never been a 5'10" CB in NFL history worth the money they paid Assante Samuel.

Quote:
It was a team loss IMO... saying McNabb choked is just what all the Philly fans do... I seriously have more respect for McNabb after this season. That guy gets the most sh1t I've ever seen a QB get and he just laughs it off. Dude's got a good attitude if you ask me.

If McNabb had a "good attitude," T.O. would still be an Eagle and McNabb might have been looking for One For The Thumb this year.

Quote:
Right now, McNabb gives the Eagles the best shot at a SB... I'll agree Reid could go - I do think they need a change at head coach, and there are a lot of coaches out there right now.

But lay off McNabb... jeez...

On that 4th-down pass on the last drive, he must have thought Kevin Curtis was Yao Ming or something.

But then again, that's typical of McNabb in big games.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #43
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
What about the fact that the offense didn't score a touchdown in the first half? That in no way contributed to the hole?
You can't throw that all on McNabb's shoulders. Where was the running game to help support him in the first half. One of the reasons they did not score was because they tried establishing a run game and it did not happen. Once again the o-line was doing nothing to open holes for the backs when trying to run between the tackles.

Quote:
But their cornerbacks were completely overmatched in a purely physical sense by Arizona's receivers. There has never been a 5'10" CB in NFL history worth the money they paid Assante Samuel.
And if not for Samuel's two picks that setup TDs they may not have been playing this past Sunday.

Quote:
If McNabb had a "good attitude," T.O. would still be an Eagle and McNabb might have been looking for One For The Thumb this year.
I doubt it. It does not look like he is going to make to next season in Dallas. The only reason he is still there is because Jerry Jones has some sort of fetish for the guy. If it were up to the coaches he would have been sent packing already.

Quote:
On that 4th-down pass on the last drive, he must have thought Kevin Curtis was Yao Ming or something.

So, you are completely oblivious to the fact that the guy covering Curtis fell into him knocking him off stride on that last play then? If Curtis is allowed to run that route cleanly he makes the catch but as it was the defender fell into him knocking him off balance causing him to come up short on making the catch.

Or are you implying McNabb should have realized Curtis was going to be knocked off stride magically readjusted in midthrow to make sure Curtis makes that catch?

The incompletion on that last throw had nothing to do with what McNabb, or Curtis for that matter, did or did not do and everything to do with the fact that the referee's allowed the defender to knock Curtis off of his route and not call anything.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #44
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:

I'll answer them in order...

1. I like how you said the offense did not score a TD... ok right there bro... the offense... McNabb is not the whole offense. Sure they struggled - but had defense even stepped up a tiny bit, maybe the hole would not have been so big. So again, cant blame McNabb. Did he play great the 1st half? No... I'll admit that. But his second half play made up for it IMO.

As far as Asante is concerned... hey man, I'm a Pats fan so you don't want to go there with me you guys can have him as far as I'm concerned! :thumbdown:

2. Ah Owens... you always come back to him... why do you defend this dueche bag? He has constantly proven he is a cancer. Sometime I wanna put you in a headlock cuz you defend TO so much!!
But seriously... McNabb takes so much crap and he has a funny attitude about it. I respect that.

3. 4th down pass... maybe the WR should have stayed on his feet. He fell down an blew it. Not McNabb's fault IMO
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #45
Anthony

Well whose fault is it when a team goes 1-6-1 in games decided by 7 points or less?

Whose fault is it when a team has a +127 point differential over the course of the (regular) season, yet finishes only three games over .500? (By contrast, Carolina's point differential was +85 and the Panthers were eight games over .500).

The team's leaders, that's who - and that means the head coach and the quarterback.