Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

BeDaBear is on a distinguished road
Default Where will Shanahan end up?

I think he would be a great fit for the Cleveland Browns.:thumbup: or :thumbdown:?
BeDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

He would be a good fit for quite a few teams if he is willing to just be the coach and only the coach. It sounds like the Browns are going after Scott Pioli who is supposedly going to hire Kirk Ferentz which may be a mistake.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think he'll have a job soon — if he wants one. Personally, I think he's always been overrated and deserved this firing after going .500 the last two years with talented teams. His success came with Elway.

By the way, welcome to the site, BeDaBear! :wavey: Bucs fan from Tampa?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I think he'll have a job soon if he wants one. Personally, I think he's always been overrated and deserved this firing after going .500 the last two years with talented teams. His success came with Elway.
I disagree to a degree with that statement. I'd say he should have simply been demoted to just being the head coach with no real decision making authority in personnel decisions other than to give some input on who the team should draft, sign, etc. His failings the past couple of years have been due more to his failings in his role of GM as it has been his coaching acumen. He can still coach he is just not a very good personnel guy.

There is some speculation that he already had another job in the works and that is why he forced Bowlen's hand in Denver by refusing to make any changes with the coaching staff.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Of course if the Eagles lose on Sunday, Mike Shanahan will suddenly become wildly popular in Philadelphia! :lol:
Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I think he'll have a job soon if he wants one. Personally, I think he's always been overrated and deserved this firing after going .500 the last two years with talented teams. His success came with Elway.

By the way, welcome to the site, BeDaBear! :wavey: Bucs fan from Tampa?
Sorry I'm getting back to you so late. We just finished moving and all that good stuff. No, I'm a Chicago Bears fan living in Tampa. I do like it a lot down here though. It's a very nice place to live. I have to agree with you. I too thought Shanahan has been on the hot seat for the past 3 / 4 years. A change had to be made. Now I've heard that Mangini may be going to Cleveland. I don't know all about that move. I'm a little surprised that there have not been more coaches fired like Lewis in Cinn, and Edwards in K.C to name a couple. If they are not gone by now, they will more than likely keep their jobs.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #7
Anthony

Speaking of Tampa, one has to wonder how much shelf life Jon Gruden's Super Bowl XXXVII title has left.

I'm guessing one more year: He doesn't keep Jeff Garcia - and with their 2009 schedule being what it's going to be, the Bucs go 4-12 or thereabouts, and das ist alles.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Speaking of Tampa, one has to wonder how much shelf life Jon Gruden's Super Bowl XXXVII title has left.

I'm guessing one more year: He doesn't keep Jeff Garcia - and with their 2009 schedule being what it's going to be, the Bucs go 4-12 or thereabouts, and das ist alles.
I agree that Gruden gets one more year to try and turn it around. The Buc's have a lot of money under the cap. The problem is, who wants to play for John Gruden? He was voted in the top 5 when players were asked which coach was the most they didn't want to play for. He's going to need a vet QB and you are right. Garcia is not going to be coming back. I hope he ends up in Chicago backing up Orton, but that's another story. Who's out there for Gruden to take? A trade with Cleveland to get Anderson? Matt Hasselbeck is a name that's been floating around out there. The Bucs need a lot of help in a lot of area's. And if players don't want to play for you you are going to have to build through the draft or through trades, and that takes longer than a year. Bye bye John Gruden.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I know i dreaming, but I would love to see him go to the BROWNNS.:thumbsup2:
Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDaBear View Post
I agree that Gruden gets one more year to try and turn it around. The Buc's have a lot of money under the cap. The problem is, who wants to play for John Gruden? He was voted in the top 5 when players were asked which coach was the most they didn't want to play for. He's going to need a vet QB and you are right. Garcia is not going to be coming back. I hope he ends up in Chicago backing up Orton, but that's another story. Who's out there for Gruden to take? A trade with Cleveland to get Anderson? Matt Hasselbeck is a name that's been floating around out there. The Bucs need a lot of help in a lot of area's. And if players don't want to play for you you are going to have to build through the draft or through trades, and that takes longer than a year. Bye bye John Gruden.

Backing up Orton?

If Garcia does turn up in Chicago, he'd be the 1-20 favorite to land the starting job, so long as Lovie Smith holds a fair competition for it.

As for Hasselbeck, I'm guessing he's probably through.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Garcia should be able to beat Orton out for the starting job without really even trying.

I suspect you are right about Hasselbeck. He can probably be a good backup for a team where he only has to play a handful of games but I don't know that he will be able to make through an entire season again as a starter.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #12
Anthony

And if the Seahawks do let Hasselbeck leave, they better have some sort of Plan B up their sleeve.

Seneca Wallace sure as hell ain't it.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
BeDaBear
Rookie Player

Now that Edwards is gone, will Shanahan be asked to coach K.C? He went from the Raiders to the Broncos. Now he can stick it to two owners 4 times a year. LOL!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDaBear
Now that Edwards is gone, will Shanahan be asked to coach K.C? He went from the Raiders to the Broncos. Now he can stick it to two owners 4 times a year. LOL!
According to Peter King, Mike Shanahan is adamant that he won't be taking the job for my Kansas City Chiefs. The Rocky Mountain News says there have been no formal contacts between Shanahan and the organization.

I would not be surprised if offensive coordinator Chan Gailey becomes the head coach, unless Scott Pioli really wants to gamble with either Kirk Ferentz or Todd Haley.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
Anthony

Well the Raiders have gotten the jump on their long-time AFC West rivals, when it comes to hiring a head coach:

They're keeping The Cable Guy!

Guess no one else wanted to work for Al Davis.