Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kerry Collins wants to start...

"I made my case known, that I'd like to be here and feel that I can be a part of several more good seasons. I have several good years left in me, I know that," Collins said. "I will pack up and go somewhere else. I don't want to, but that's the reality of this business. … I am a starter in this league and if nothing materializes that way I will retire.''

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...59/1002/SPORTS

The Titans have a tough call here:

re-sign him and hope he performs as he did this year

OR

try to reboot the Vince Young era

Opinions?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I wouldn't be too thrilled with either prospect as a Titans fan. That said, Collins is a much safer bet, if shorter-term....if they want to make another run next season, they should keep Collins as starter IMO.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

But there's no shortage of teams Collins could start for, although the draft may reduce the number somewhat.

As of this moment, the ranks of such teams would include Buffalo, Kansas City, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and San Francisco, along with Tampa Bay if Jon Gruden does let Jeff Garcia leave, and Seattle if Matt Hasselbeck is finished.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
But there's no shortage of teams Collins could start for, although the draft may reduce the number somewhat.
It depends on if he will settle starting for anyone or if he wants to go to a team where stability at the QB position makes them a contender. A lot of teams in the market to draft a QB may still be interested in a guy like Collins short term until the young QB is ready to take over.

Quote:
As of this moment, the ranks of such teams would include Buffalo, Kansas City, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and San Francisco, along with Tampa Bay if Jon Gruden does let Jeff Garcia leave, and Seattle if Matt Hasselbeck is finished.
Heck, there are folks in Charlotte talking about wanting him back. They all want Delhomme out of there.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Heck, there are folks in Charlotte talking about wanting him back. They all want Delhomme out of there.
I want Delhomme out, but the last thing I want is another over-the-hill veteran. Collins was greatly aided by a potent run game and good defense, and I think it was really just situational factors coming together that allowed him to have a good year. He will not have the same success on a weak team like Seattle or Detroit. I think the Titans have to go with Young, they've made a huge investment in him and I believe you have to go with what's in your best interest for the future...
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

The question, though, is if Young IS in their best interests for the future. Can he become a better quarterback, can he overcome his issues, or is he the next coming of Vick?
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I want Delhomme out, but the last thing I want is another over-the-hill veteran. Collins was greatly aided by a potent run game and good defense, and I think it was really just situational factors coming together that allowed him to have a good year. He will not have the same success on a weak team like Seattle or Detroit. I think the Titans have to go with Young, they've made a huge investment in him and I believe you have to go with what's in your best interest for the future...

You want Delhomme out?

Have you abandoned the Packers in favor of the Panthers, Marc?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Everything they have been saying about Young on the national talk shows this week seems to point to Young being finished in Tennessee. The scuttlebutt is that Fisher wants to stick with Collins and is going to lobby to have Young released or traded this off season. There has been talk that since his benching he has become even more disengaged from the team and has not handled it well at all. There has been talk of him not being mature or mentally strong enough to be a successful QB in the NFL.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Anthony

But when you look at the total crap that so many teams are currently forced to make do with at QB, there will be a market for Young if he is put on the block.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am sure someone will take a flyer on Vince Young if the Titans decide to move him. It will probably be a waste of time but someone will do it.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Collins hada decent year, but I'm not so sure he's a great QB. But that said, someone will take him - there really arent that many stellar QB's out there. Or another way of saying it would be - "he may be a better QB then one already in place (for some clubs).

I'm not usually right... but I did say back in week 7 (or around then) that Tenn would be "one and done" in the playoffs. I knew they weren't going anywhere.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

He is not a great a QB but teams have shown in the past that you don't need one to make a Super Bowl run you just need someone to not commit bad turnovers to compliment a strong running game and stout defense. Where it kills you though is when your top runner goes out like Johnson did against the Ravens.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You want Delhomme out?

Have you abandoned the Packers in favor of the Panthers, Marc?
Oh heck no, the Packers will always be my team, but I pull for the hometown Panthers secondarily. More of a social thing here.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, basically since I am forced to watch them all the time and they get the most coverage around here I like to at least see them do well. It sucks when the local team blows and they end up playing a string of meaningless games the last two months of the season.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #15
Anthony

Well they will be even more dreadful to sit through next year, as the schedule veritably screams that they've got a damn good chance to keep their record of no back-to-back winning seasons in franchise history intact (and so do the Falcons).