Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Marbury working hard...

on building a healthy relationship with his new coach....

excerpt:

Knicks place Marbury on inactive list

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury was placed on the inactive list before Friday night's 116-87 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

Marbury, a former All-Star reportedly scheduled to earn $21.9 million this season, did not play in the Knicks' 120-115 season-opening win over the Miami Heat on Wednesday.

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and Marbury met Friday and Marbury asked the coach if he was going to play. When told he would not be seeing action, Marbury reportedly requested he be put on the inactive list and D'Antoni and the guard mutually agreed to take that action for Friday's game.

"This is the direction we're going and there will be some nights like this," D'Antoni said of Marbury after the loss. "If I was playing everything for tonight, you'd do things differently. But we're trying to build a base for going forward."

& D'Antoni is going to have the rabid NY fans on his ass real soon, if not already:

excerpt

D'Antoni curses Garden chant for Marbury

Mike D'Antoni had no time to enjoy his first victory as Knicks coach, because he was on the defensive Thursday after TV cameras caught him in a cursing fit while fans were chanting for banished Stephon Marbury to be put into the game.

With some in the Garden crowd surprisingly chanting "We Want Steph" with 11:10 remaining in the fourth (others booed the chant), a stewing D'Antoni was caught on MSG Network cameras Wednesday in a tirade, mouthing:

"You've got to be (bleeping) kidding me. You've got to be (bleeping) kidding me. What a bunch of (bleeps)."

Yesterday after practice, D'Antoni acknowledged his frustration with the Marbury chanters, showing how strongly he believes the lightning-rod point guard does not belong on the court. Marbury received a DNP, his second of his career, and is out of the rotation indefinitely despite likely being the team's most skilled player.

"Sometimes I don't think the fans quite get it," D'Antoni said. "It's like who you draft. They're going to boo. When you make a big decision, someone's going to like it, someone's not. You'll hear from the people who don't.

"Did I look exasperated?" D'Antoni added. "I was into the game. You get so much adrenaline at that point and you react. I'm into the game, into the moment. Sometimes I can be better than that. I'll make mistakes. I'll do better."...

Ten minutes after D'Antoni said he was riled by the Marbury chants, a Knicks public relations official brought back the coach to reporters, where he then denied the curses were directed toward fans.

"There's no way I'd do that to the fans," he said. "It was a great opening night. That's what should be the story."

Unfortunately for D'Antoni, the story is also about Marbury, whose days are numbered following the coach's bold decision to take him out of the rotation after playing him 20 minutes per game during preseason.

A logical conclusion to this roaring controversy is president Donnie Walsh waiving Marbury. Walsh may have held him hostage so he would agree to take less than the $21.9 million he is owed. Marbury has told The Post he would want "every penny." Marbury currently has no agent.

Walsh said it's too early for buyout talk, but he didn't rule out that scenario....

Though D'Antoni didn't want Marbury with the team at the outset and Walsh convinced him, Wednesday's benching came as a shock.

D'Antoni never hinted during the preseason that Marbury's spot in the rotation was in jeopardy and praised his performances. D'Antoni didn't give advance warning to Marbury, letting him suffer the humiliation before his hometown crowd.

D'Antoni could have known all along Marbury would not be in the rotation, but deceived him during preseason so he wouldn't create a major distraction.

D'Antoni denies this and says Mardy Collins' solid preseason convinced D'Antoni to bench Marbury. D'Antoni said he felt Collins is better suited to handle a minor role than Marbury, who has been a malcontent in the past. D'Antoni said all players had a clean slate, but apparently it did not apply to Marbury....

"It'd be rubbing his face in it (if I said), go in for three minutes, then come out," D'Antoni said. "He's a better player than that. Either there's a big-time role for him or there isn't. That's what I was wrestling with the whole preseason."

Regardless, I'm behind D'Antoni on this...
Old 11-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm with D'Antoni on this as well. Marbury might be their most talented player, but if they're not going to fit him in and are going to find a way to release him, then it makes sense to give the minutes to other players to learn the system.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't get it. The Knicks have no plans to trade, release, or buy out Marbury's contract:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3682264

It just makes me wonder whose Wheaties he peed in to get this kind of treatment from Walsh and D'Antoni.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Funny how Marbury is wishing Larry Brown was coaching him now. But I agree with doublee that it's strange they're just content with sitting Marbury. Headcase or not, he is a talented player who can help the team. I don't know if this is to prove a point or what, but I think it's been taken too far. They've got to trade him or play him, period. What exactly did he do to deserve this?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I saw a snippet the other day saying the player's union may get involved in this before all is said and done.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Looks like the Knicks are going to cave in and negotiate a buyout with Marbury: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3733907

Frankly, they have no choice. He's a cancer to the team with teammate Quentin Richardson recently badmouthing Marbury, saying they don't consider him a part of the team anymore. I guess if we assume Marbury is no longer a Knick, the question is where will he end up? Will anyone sign him? He has undeniable talent.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know. There was some talk that the Heat were interested in his services. He will eventually get signed as teams start losing guys due to injury.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

This is interesting: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3775717

Marbury bought a ticket to the game. :lol: It just keeps getting weirder...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I wish I had his gig: getting paid millions to stay away from work!! Hilarious! Everyone knows he's a problem child, but like you guys said he is the most talented player on the team. Do something with him....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Rumors are circulating that when, and if, Marbury gets out of NY the he is going to Boston. If the Celts do this it is a bad move if you ask me. Marbury has never won anything in his career and brings a lot of baggage. I know he is buds with KG but I just don't see where the Celts necessarily need a guy like Marbury. Getting Cassell made sense last year as he is a proven leader and winner while Marbury is a guy who has neither attribute.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Rumors are circulating that when, and if, Marbury gets out of NY the he is going to Boston. If the Celts do this it is a bad move if you ask me. Marbury has never won anything in his career and brings a lot of baggage. I know he is buds with KG but I just don't see where the Celts necessarily need a guy like Marbury. Getting Cassell made sense last year as he is a proven leader and winner while Marbury is a guy who has neither attribute.
Unless they plan to play him at SG off the bench, why? They have a budding young star in Rondo at PG. Will he be happy as a bench player? This would be a very risky move. But it could reunite Marbury and Garnett, which may not be smart as I believe there was friction between the two when they split from Minnesota.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I understand the desire to go after another PG. After Rondo who is there? If he gets hurt the next best option is to get Cassell out there and hope he, Tony Allen, and Eddie House can be servicable. I just don't see how Marbury is a good addition for this team.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #13
Steve
Registered Loser

Steve is on a distinguished road

Considering they won the championship pretty handily with Eddie House as their third guard, are the Celts really stupid enough to mortgage their chemistry, sacrifice developing their youngins and just more or less sell their soul to the devil by handing Starbury the keys to the sixth man role? I realize they might need bench help, but they shouldn't be panicking yet. I think the Knicks are gonna buy Marbury out soon and I see him winding up with Houston or some team like that. It would be a mistake for any team to pick him up, though, even if he can still play. I'm not even fully sure how he does it, but he will systematically demolish any organization he winds up with and the sad part is that isn't even an exaggeration.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

They're probably doing it out of ego. Bring in Marbury when everyone is down on him and then if they repeat, they can run their whole storyline where everyone doubted them and they were the underdogs and anything is posssssssssible and all that.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
Steve
Registered Loser

Steve is on a distinguished road

I realize he was all jazzed up and whatnot, but was Garnett sxcreaming "ABYTHING'S POSSIBLE!" not one of the three or four dumbest professional athlete quotes of all time? His teammates must've killed him for that ruckus. I'd say it ranks right up there with Junior Seau, sometime during the Pats 18-0 run, saying, "We have a chance to go down... in ever."
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote