Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-05-2002, 03:07 PM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default NFL Prospects

I thought I's start a thread about future NFL prsopects, college players you see and you just know their going to have success in the NFL. This is not about the draft, just prospects-

Quarterbacks-

1. Byron Lewfitch, Marshall: I think this one goes without saying. I'm sure all of you agree here. He has excellent size for a quarterback and a big arm. He is Daunte Culpepper without running ability.

2. Jason Gesser, Washington St. : This is my sleeper. Jason Gesser is an excellent athelete with decent size at 6-1 200, a great running ability, a strong arm, and rolling out and throwing is one of his specialties. I personally think he is going to be the next Jeff Garcia.

3. Rex Grossman, Florida : He isn't having the eyar he did in 2001, but it's still early. My guess would be it's Ron Zooks O. But Grossman has NFL size at 6-1 220, and he definatley has an NFL arm with probably the best deep ball in the country. Grossman will definatley have a place in the NFL, and my guess would be up the coast in out nations capital.

4. Phillip Rivers, NC State : Much like Lewtwich, is huge with an even bigger arm. At 6-5, 235, scouts will be drooling over this Drew Bledsoe clone (well, at least size wise).

5. Jared Lozenzen, Kentucky: Yes, you see right, Jared Lorenzen. He will go down in the books as the heaviest QB in the NFL (unless of course, he drops down for the combine). He he has a monster arm and sacking him is like tackling a defensive lineman! He has NFL all over him.

Recognition- Chris Simms, Cody Pickett, Seneca Wallace, Carson Palmer

Runningback-

1. Cedric Benson, Texas : He is just tearing up the college scene right now, and it's not gonna stop. He is a bit undersized at 6-0 205, but he runs like Ricky Williams, despite being 30 pounds lighter. Although the NFL is gonna have to wait a couple more years because he's not leaving, he want's records!

2. Willis McGahee, Miami : Much like Benson, he is doing very well. His size is good for an NFL runningback, at 6-1 , 225. He runs so hard and is so strong, he amazes me.

3. Derrick Nix, Southern Miss. : A brusier at 6-2, 225, he has raw power and speed. Some may say he played versus a lower level of competition, but when your a runningback, I don't but that. You still have to run between massive DT's and get knocked around and break tackles. The act like it's easy.

4. Lee Suggs, Virgina Tech : He shares carries with his partner in crime, Kevin Jones, and still puts up big numbers. He is a bit small at 6-0, 200, but he runs tough. He has bounced back great from his season-ending knee injury last season, so it looks good.

5. Cecil Sapp, Colorado St.: Another 6-1, 225 kid form Miami. I have gotten a chance to see Cecil play a lot this year (thanks to ESPN and FSN), and he runs as hard as anybody. He just hits the lien and ripe right through , he looks a lot like Marshall Faulk ( not that I'm comparing him).

Recognition: Onterrio Smith, Greg Jones, Kevin Jones Carnell Williams

Wide Recievers-

1. Charles Rogers, Micigan St. : No secret here, Mr. Rogers is the best reciver in the nation, hands down.

2. Kassim Osgood, San Diego St.: 6-5, 210, thriving down at lowly SDSU. He is the number 2 prospect because of his size, a 6-5 WR is tough to find, and he's got some beef on him.

3. Rashuan Wods, OK St. : Much like Osgood, is thriving at a poor program. He has made name for himself in college, and willl do it in the NFL.

4. Reggie Williams, Washington: Is still learning but has shown eye-popping talent. And his 6-4, 220 pound frame doesn't hurt either.

5. Devrad Darling, Wash. St. : Jason Gesser's favorite target has shown a lot of promise at Wazzu, I would expect him to leave after this season because Gesser is a senior.

Recognition: Brandon Lloyd, Bryant Johnson, Sammie Parker

Now I don't neccesarily think all those players will be high draft picks, but they will do well once they get a chance to show what they can do.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:29 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

A couple additions:

QB: Dave Ragone in Louisville is going to be in the NFL.

WR: Taylor Jacobs in Florida is great (smoked Kentucky).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Rex Grossman should have came out last season....he has really hurt his stock this season!

Kelly Washington from Tennesse should have came out early as well, but he will be a good NFL player if he loses his cocky attitude!

Jared Lorenzen will not be an NFL QB....third string at best....if he can make a team!

Out of all the guys you listed my top 3 as far as NFL prospects are concerned would be....

1. Willis McGahee
2. Byron Leftwich
3. Charles Rodgers
Old 10-08-2002, 02:13 AM   #4
Heatley15
Grizzled Veteran

Heatley15 is on a distinguished road

Funny, I didn't see anyone mention Roy Tarpley ( i think that is his name the WR from Texas). I do like Rogers better though.

Leftwich is the number 1 overall pick next year. He has the complete package and will be a fine NFL QB.

What about the guy from Penn St. (Adam Kennedy.....I think), he has tremendous size and skills on the defensive side of the ball. Should be a top 5 pick in the draft in April.

I do think Onterio Smith deserves more than honorable mention. He is a good running back.

If I had to pick a Heismann, I know he is just a freshman, but Clarriett from Ohio St. may just be the most special player in college.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:58 AM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

The WR from Texas is named Roy Williams!
Old 10-08-2002, 11:07 AM   #6
Heatley15
Grizzled Veteran

I guess Roy Tarpley was the guy that got banned from the state of Texas and the NBA.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:12 AM   #7
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Joey why do you think so low of Lorenzen? I mean, he is not mobile, but explain why you think he has a downside, he's huge! So is his arm!
Old 10-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #8
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Ok, first off he is terrible at reading defenses! I mean Florida threw a few defenses at him and he completely broke down with the exception of a few plays! And with his inability to read defenses comes his high rate of costly turnovers! He not only turns over the ball, but usually his interceptions are so costly that most teams return them for touchdowns! Florida returned one for a touchdown, and then an interception on a 2 point conversion for a touchdown which lead to a total of 9 points at a critical junction of the game!

Lorenzen has the ability for the big plays in college, but his big play ability will deminish at the next level! I will be surprised if any team drafts him due to his size and his inability to read defenses! He will be on a roster on preseason to try to make a team, but I have a hard time believing he will actually make an NFL team. He might be a 3rd string at best in my opinion.

Unless his ability to read defenses gets improvement, he will never see an NFL field, because reading defenses is a major key to playing in the NFL!

Another factor is his inabilty to move out of the pocket....and if you can't move out of the pocket in the NFL your are doomed! Ask Kurt Warner about that one! The NFL has gone to a more athletic Qb, with the exception of a few Qbs.....like Bledsoe, Gannon, Farve, and Brunell....but all of these guys except Bledsoe have been mobile in the past. And with their experience they can make plays out of the pocket with their smarts and mind! Lorenzen doesn't possess football smarts in my opinion...he is just a guy who makes plays.....UK coaches have even said that he has just started to understand the offense at UK in his 3rd season there....if he can't understand a college offense he will never have a chance at learning a NFL offense!

Joey
Old 10-09-2002, 07:40 PM   #9
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Well Joey, you make an excellent point, I myself have not been able to watch him that much, so I don't know. But about QB smarts, this is off topic, but in my mind, Rich Gannon is the smartest QB in the NFL, by far.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Ok, first off he is terrible at reading defenses! I mean Florida threw a few defenses at him and he completely broke down with the exception of a few plays! And with his inability to read defenses comes his high rate of costly turnovers! He not only turns over the ball, but usually his interceptions are so costly that most teams return them for touchdowns! Florida returned one for a touchdown, and then an interception on a 2 point conversion for a touchdown which lead to a total of 9 points at a critical junction of the game!
14 TD, 3 INT -- yeah, he's real turnover prone. That's why he is No. 7 in the country in passing efficiency and has a QB rating of 153. Perhaps you should be talking about your own Grossman, who has more than double the INTs than Lorenzen has. And how many games have you seen so that you could have such a strong opinion? Just the Florida game? Probably, and no one's saying he was on his game for that one, but he still almost beat the Gators.
Quote:
Lorenzen has the ability for the big plays in college, but his big play ability will deminish at the next level! I will be surprised if any team drafts him due to his size and his inability to read defenses! He will be on a roster on preseason to try to make a team, but I have a hard time believing he will actually make an NFL team. He might be a 3rd string at best in my opinion.
Size and a gun for an arm will cause an NFL team to draft him, period. Potential, potential.
Quote:
Another factor is his inabilty to move out of the pocket....and if you can't move out of the pocket in the NFL your are doomed!
You've obviously never seen him play aside from a game or two! He is quite a prolific scrambler for his size ... I bet you didn't know he has 119 rushing yards in five games? http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football...ers/254681.htm
Quote:
Ask Kurt Warner about that one! The NFL has gone to a more athletic Qb, with the exception of a few Qbs.....like Bledsoe, Gannon, Farve, and Brunell....but all of these guys except Bledsoe have been mobile in the past.
Kurt Warner is a Super Bowl MVP and winner -- he's living proof you don't need to be Michael Vick to win a Super Bowl and be successful. And have you seen Gannon or Brunnell? Both are very, very mobile and can scramble. Only Bledsoe and Favre are valid examples.
Quote:
UK coaches have even said that he has just started to understand the offense at UK in his 3rd season there....if he can't understand a college offense he will never have a chance at learning a NFL offense!
Actually, he hasn't just learned it this year ... he's become extremely proficient this year at it. They said he knows it better, but he didn't have a particular problem with it. Plus, do not forget that a whole new coaching scheme came in with Guy Morriss midway through his collegiate career ... so no, he didn't have three years to learn the same offense, he had last year only.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:07 PM   #11
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Nice Marc! OK now I'm going to drop this DRAFT question on you, where will those (or if you think different, the ones that are on your mind) QB's go, will they be high or low picks, and will they start in the near future?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:21 AM   #12
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Leftwich will go high. But no other QB coming out this upcoming year, will get drafted in the first round.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:27 AM   #13
Heatley15
Grizzled Veteran

Leftwich will no doubt be the first QB taken. This draft appears to be heavy in the wide receiver department. A lot of debating could go on there.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:09 AM   #14
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Marc, come on man! Are you serious? I know your a Kentucky Homer, therefore your opinion is totally biased!

Ok, I read your line of stats this season for Lorenzen, but does stats really matter? When it comes to big games, Lorenzen is a mistake ready to happen! And when you said he almost beat the Gators.....what??????? He didn't hardly do a thing....I think you meant to say the UK special teams almost beat Florida.....go back and look at Mr. Lorenzen's stats for that lovely game!

I have seen Lorenzen play against Louisville and Florida this season.....and no I didn't get to see him play against a weak MTSU team, weak Indiana team, and weak UTEP.....only devout UK fans watch those silly contests!

And Mr. Lorenzen will prove how good he actually is now that the SEC schedule has started! Kentucky will be no better than 3-5 in the conference....and save this post so you can refer back to this when Lorenzen makes costly turnover after turnover....causing UK to lose! They will not beat Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, or LSU! Florida isn't even that good this season, and Lorenzen was dominated in that game!

And on the subject of mobile.....who cares if he is mobile for his size...I mean just the fact that he can move at his size is being mobile....he is slow and will never be effective in the NFL....ever!

And Lorenzen is not proficient in an offense until UK actually beats some SEC teams!

And for him to have 119 yards rushing....I mean look who he has played against.....UTEP, MTSU, and Indiana....I guarantee he had minus yards rushing in the Florida game....go look up that stat!

Kentucky might not even get past a weak South Carolina team this weekend, and if they can't get past them....they are set for a 2-6 SEC campaign!

Lorenzen is a college QB.....no matter what little potential he has...he will be a total bust for any draft pick wasted on him!

Joey
Old 10-10-2002, 08:33 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

I love it. We shall see. We shall see.