Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 04-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #16
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Did anyone else watch the Heat-Nets game? Man, the refs gave the game to the Heat. Stern want the Heat to win it all I'm convinced.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:47 PM   #17
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
I think it just had a lot to do with how the Nets finished the season and a lot of people swept up into the possibilities of what Carter/Kidd/Jefferson could do.
Some of it had to do with that and some of it also had to do with the fact that Shaq was questionable health-wise going into the series and had barely played, let alone practiced, the last few weeks of the season. The thought was that the Nets may be able to steal one of the first two games if with Shaq not up to speed and if Jefferson could get into the flow offensively for the Nets. Unfortunately for NJ Jefferson did not get into rhythm until Game Three and when he finally did Carter couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat in the first half while Jefferson was keeping them in the game.

I have been impressed with how Kristic has played offensively in this series though. A lot of 21 year olds would be intimidated with the prospect of squaring off with Shaq but he has held his own averaging 18.7 points and 8 rebounds per game while shooting .583 from the field. Kristic really came on the second half the season and I am interested in seeing how much more he develops over the next couple of seasons.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #18
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

New Jersey had MULTIPLE opportunities to close the deal and just couldn't hit.

Yes, Kristic was impressive, given the details you mentioned, doublee... it never ceases to amaze me how Shaq looks twice as big as anyone out there; just plows right over people and THEY get called for the foul. But he's just doing the same thing everyone else is doing, he's just so much bigger. I really do not envy the refs' job when calling a Shaq game.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #19
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Stern DOES want the Heat to win it all. Check out the new thread I just posted. Shaq is it for the NBA this playoffs.

Separate note -- I don't get Boston at all. They were down 2-1 after getting waxed in game 3, Antoine Walker is suspended, and they're still on the road where they stink in recent playoffs. So what happens? They win by 31! What?!
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #20
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Might have to do with Indiana not being spectacular...
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #21
Hall of Famer

I just find that series baffling. The wild swings from game-to-game are insane. Each team has recorded blowout victories. I still like Indiana in 7.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:54 AM   #22
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

I like Boston so much better than Indiana. I've always hated Reggie Miller, kind of liked Jermaine O'Neal (although his popularity has taken a dive recently).
While on the other hand I've always liked Paul Pierce and Gary Payton, and then you add Antoine Walker back in who jives with Paul like fish and chips.... PLUS the aggressive, never know what to expect Ricky show...
Boston is just so much more interesting... I hope they come out with this one
Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #23
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

I haven't been paying attention to the BOS/IND series. Despite my comments about the Wizards/Bulls series, it has been the most fun to watch eastern conference series IMO.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #24
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipps
Despite my comments about the Wizards/Bulls series, it has been the most fun to watch eastern conference series IMO.
Gilbert Arenas, baby! That's my boy, right there. Gotta love those UofA guys (well, at least I do). How crippling a loss is this for Chicago? They were down 22 and came all the way back only to lose at the buzzer. No way they recover in time. Wizards wrap it up tomorrow, then head to Miami.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #25
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think the Bulls are probably done it looks like they are really beginning to miss the depth and scoring that Deng and Curry afforded them during the regular season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #26
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
I like Boston so much better than Indiana. I've always hated Reggie Miller, kind of liked Jermaine O'Neal (although his popularity has taken a dive recently).
While on the other hand I've always liked Paul Pierce and Gary Payton, and then you add Antoine Walker back in who jives with Paul like fish and chips.... PLUS the aggressive, never know what to expect Ricky show...
Boston is just so much more interesting... I hope they come out with this one

That series is just appaling to me. It's utterly crazy...this ranks among the top five *weirdest* series...ever...just WEIRD...it's bad and ugly...and weird. WEIRD!

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT...HEAD SLING? There've been suspensions, techanicals...I know emotions are high...but this is just ridiculous. Why is Stern going after Van Gundy's words...trying to *fire* him...when you have some really serious issues ON the court.
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:29 PM   #27
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Wiz advance for first time in 23 years and the MCI Center goes crazy like they won the title. T-shirts (that flaunted them going to the second round ... LOL), confetti, dancing, the works. Gilbert Arenas threw the ball out of bounds with over a second remaining, and it would have been funny if that became a turnover. Also, what happened to Ben Gordon? He was absent and the Bulls could have used his scoring.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:59 AM   #28
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by YankeeDoodle
That series is just appaling to me. It's utterly crazy...this ranks among the top five *weirdest* series...ever...just WEIRD...it's bad and ugly...and weird. WEIRD!

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT...HEAD SLING? There've been suspensions, techanicals...I know emotions are high...but this is just ridiculous. Why is Stern going after Van Gundy's words...trying to *fire* him...when you have some really serious issues ON the court.
I still like the Celtics, and I think that Pacers player FLOPPED hardcore on that call on Paul Pierce. That was just a bad call, IMO. Although Paul shoulda known better than to risk that.

Agreed with you on the head sling... what in the hell was that all about? Anyone? I'm still at a loss and I watched all the after game commentary.

As far as Van Gundy and Stern, that debate can go on the thread about it, and it's a good question how this Stern/Van Gundy poker hand is going to play out.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #29
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Pierce was wearing the head sling because he was exaggarating the hard foul/punch in the jaw given him by Tinsley to justify him losing his cool. I love Paul Pierce but he has to know better. I also have a problem with the officials making THAT call in a playoff game because I don't want the officials to decide the outcome of the game. Tinsley's foul could have been seen as a little over the top and the could have called a double tech, but you should not throw a star player out of the game AND give the opponent a free throw to tie the game on a play like that when there was much rougher play thoughout the game IMO.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #30
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Boy, what a meltdown by the Celts tonight. They need to find some maturity and fast, what an embarrassing display by the Celtics tonight.

Can I just express how excited I am that since Detroit and Indiana are playing in the second round that we will now be treated to TNT/ESPN showing us recaps of 'The Brawl' ad nauseum for the next two days. I fully expect it to be a central part of the marketing of this series and they will try and amp folks up to the point where we will be expecting armageddon to occur in sometime during this series. TNT couldn't wait to stir the pot by asking Stephen Jackson after the game what effect he thought it would have on this series. I have often wondered why it is the media won't let things die and why they have such a hard time believing that players get over it and move on.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!