Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 05-01-2005, 01:15 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Colangelo to overhaul U.S. Olympic team

Quote:
Colangelo Has New Vision for U.S. Basketball Team

Eight months after the United States men's basketball team settled for the bronze medal at the Athens Olympics, Jerry Colangelo, the chief executive of the Phoenix Suns, pledged yesterday to overhaul the player selection process to restore the team's reputation as the best in the world.

Colangelo, 65, who was named the national team's first managing director yesterday, abolished the selection committee, expressed interest in holding tryouts and left open the possibility of choosing college players.

He made it clear that high-profile N.B.A. players need not apply unless they are ready to make a commitment for two to three summers. Dozens of veteran N.B.A. players found reasons not to play in the Athens Games, and some owners were reluctant to risk their investment by having their players participate.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/28/sp.../28hoops.html?

I am encouraged by this change. The system we were using was obviously not working as our teams have been disgraces of late. Colangelo is someone who has succeeded in whatever he has done and I think he makes good decisions. The most interesting thing is he is considering allowing college players participate once again. And best of all, he's not going to take crap from high-profile stars: you're either in or out. Your thoughts?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Good maybe now we will have some guys who can shoot from the outside. JJ Redick and Michal Redd anyone.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Bring back college players who care about winning. The NBA player don't care, especially if they are a me-first team, which in Athens it was.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by G-MenNMetsfan
Bring back college players who care about winning. The NBA player don't care, especially if they are a me-first team, which in Athens it was.

WHOA...hold on there.

The last Olympic team took so much flak from this country; some undeservedly so. Umm...those NBA players, who, might I add, where pretty much third-string choices, because the original choices, claimed injuries and fatigue (real or imaginary), family issues...or even court olbligations.

And hey - it was the offseason - they are not contractually obligated. And really - it was a no-win situation. If they won gold - hey, it's been-there-done-that. And if they lose...

They get all this blame of being selfish and money-hording and yada yada.

Hey, those players that actually *went* overseas *wanted* to. They didn't get any bonuses for playing for their *country* - not club. It's not written in, but for many players, I guess in other countries, that's even moer important. These teams play together for years - not two months. The USA Hoops Olympic team was a collection of talent - not even the best available really - not a cohesive team, and both factors were not their fault, at least conclusively.

Also, why doesn't anyone give credit that, maybe, *SHOCK*...the world just got better. Basketball, it could be argued, is the most global sport, in terms of all corners of the earth. They invested in it more than we did; it really is not suprising that fundamentals would win over flashiness (which, then again, is also how we want our U.S. players...it's nice...but the system does not bode well for *winning*).

It's ironic really; when the US lost in 1988; they called for the Dream Team. Now that the pros lost - something they thought would never happen - just package 'em up and pick up the gold...they want college players back. Actually since Colangelo want a two-year committment, those that were college playes, presumably the best, might not even *be* in college when all said and done.

Also there was the idea that the NBA Champ would play in the Olympics. But say if San Antoine' won, with Ginobilli and Parker gone, would that be the same, complete team? And ya know with the Olympics taking SUCH precendence...one wouldn't think a team would *throw* the Finals just so they get out of a international experience representing their country?

So to wrap up my rant, there's something wrong when Larry Brown struggles to win, and people question Tim Duncan's ability and will to win. Even A.I., "Mr. Selfish" - he went. Those players wanted to play for the Red, White, and Blue, and got their hearts crushed in return - by us. Thanks America!
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

I think bringing in Colangelo is the greatest thing to happen to USA basketball since '92. FINALLY! SOMEONE AT THE TOP WHO UNDERSTANDS HOW TO BUILD A TEAM! I stress the word, "TEAM." Growing up mostly in Phoenix, I know exactly what Jerry is all about and it's really exciting that he's the man on the international scene, now.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Great post, YD!

Now...between the Olympics and the Detroit Pistons championship, I think we've put together a pretty strong case for fundamentals and teamwork more than the more modern approach (which as YD points out is not the same as selfishness, even if it is an more individualistic game). So what do we do when the formula for winning is so sharply contrasted with what markets/sells?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Well, clearly, I think the lesson to be learned here is that if you want to win on the international level, you can not be hung up on Team USA's marketability. If they just pick another bunch of All-Stars rather than a cohesive group that will play well together and compliment each other's talents on the court, then you really have to wonder what the point is.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The world didn't get better as much as the U.S. got worse. I don't like the plan. Lowering of standards and lack of accountability at work once again in the world. Trade dunks for picks and dribbling exercises at age 8 for American kids, and all will be fine again.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
The world didn't get better as much as the U.S. got worse. I don't like the plan. Lowering of standards and lack of accountability at work once again in the world. Trade dunks for picks and dribbling exercises at age 8 for American kids, and all will be fine again.
Kids already have dribbling exercises at age 8, the problems are farther up the line. Even still, with all the flaws in the NBA's highlight culture, the USA has the best ball players in the world and, once Colangelo (hopefully) puts together a team that can play as a real team, they will be winning gold medals again. This should be a quick fix.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Good luck convincing NBA players to come and try out for the National Team.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Agree to some extent Billy. Like we've said in here a million times though, the culture of style over substance is where the problem lies. Nip it at age 8, 18, 28...I don't care. Just nip it. I still say the earlier the better.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Great post, YD!

Now...between the Olympics and the Detroit Pistons championship, I think we've put together a pretty strong case for fundamentals and teamwork more than the more modern approach (which as YD points out is not the same as selfishness, even if it is an more individualistic game). So what do we do when the formula for winning is so sharply contrasted with what markets/sells?

Actually, why doesn't the NBA try to market a team? I hestitate to say "unselfishness" because that's really how a game is supposed to be played...giving an extra pass instead of jacking up some shot. The shot selection is just awful!

(Well...maybe they do...if it's the Lakers or the Knicks...and then ppl accuses them of "fixing" the game)

Seriously...I guess the Patriots and the Pistons aren't a "sexy commodity"...because the leagues don't see it that way. They want STAHHS, but I would say that why don't they give it a try? MLB is having issues right now (yes, some of it is regarding steroids), while the NFL which shinest products are arguably Manning and Vick (and my friends who do not follow sports have no idea who they are), is fine w/o having a "LeBron" to their sport.

Also, I think this USA team, whoever it is made up of, better understand that in the Olympics...they might very well call traveling and illegal screens.

Ray Allen suggested that they should pay for Team USA to play. He said that HE doesn't need the money...but that other players should be given an incentive...to which I say:

At the risk of getting on a soapbox and attacking athletes for being selfish...I don't think that with these big-time sports players...do they not know what the Olympics mean? Some of these athletes cannot even afford good facilities to train...they come to the Games, not even hoping to win...but just the experience to carry their country's flag...where war, famine is going in - sports is a diversion. They're not a face of a sport - but the face of an entire nation.

So if an "elite" player would rather take a vacation and chill, sure go ahead...I'm sure they have their reasons. Motivated and patriotic (within this context) player need only apply.

(P.S., if college players would be eligible, how about a college coach? Coach K, anyone? )
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

To be fair every other Olympian is paid and if I am not mistaken they get bonuses if they come home with a medal. The NBA guys are not the only Olympians pulling in high incomes for the sports they play.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #14
BlueBaron
Sports Enthusiast

BlueBaron is on a distinguished road

These guys should jump at the chance to represent the USA in the Olympics. It's a disgrace that they would even try to weasel their way out. Bring back the college guys, they probably wouldn't do any worse. The '92 Dream Team was truly a dream team. Everything since then hasn't been quite as good.
BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #15
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by YankeeDoodle

So if an "elite" player would rather take a vacation and chill, sure go ahead...I'm sure they have their reasons. Motivated and patriotic (within this context) player need only apply.
There's my feeling on it in a nutshell. If I'm the recruiting mgr for the USA basketball team, I would say exactly that.
If you're not motivated to represent your country and play in the OLYMPICS, then get your @$$ out of my sight.

I have no problem with players who have family issues, etc, to deal with in the off-season, but players who are ONLY motivated by money absolutely disgust me. A true player plays for love of the game above all else.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote