Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Who do you coach if you are Phillip
Minnesota 1 5.00%
LA Lakers 2 10.00%
Cleveland 7 35.00%
Portland 1 5.00%
New York 4 20.00%
Orlando 0 0%
Other 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2005, 04:03 PM   #31
BlueBaron
Sports Enthusiast

BlueBaron is on a distinguished road

I think the Lakers would be contenders if Phil came back to them. He is a great coach and he knows what it takes to win. Could you imagine the players that the Lakers could get if they traded Kobe? That's their best bet IMO.
BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #32
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Phil knows what it takes to take a team that has the talent in place to win to the next level he has never, ever, been in a position to take a team that has good, but not great, talent to the next level. Everywhere he has ever gone the teams he took over had the talent already in place to win. The Bulls made the Conference Finals the year before Jackson took over and the Lakers tied for the fourth best record in the West and already had Shaq, Kobe, and Glen Rice in the fold before taking over. Bottom line is the Lakers do not have enough overall talent and don't play enough defense to be a serious contender.

The salary cap prevents the Lakers from being able to move Kobe for a bunch of other players in return. Besides, that who would you suggest trading Kobe to?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #33
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think Kobe's trade value may have been diminshed by not being able to carry a team like what was evident this year. So in less they have another star a team probably wouldn't trade for Kobe and the Lakers aren't giving him up for anything because they obviously think he is the best player in the league.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #34
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Come now, only the lunatic fringe of Lakers' fans thought this team had enough talent to win. This year's squad was devoid of defensive effeciency and when we are talking about Chris Mihm and Brian Grant being your best big men/interior players you are going to have some problems beating squads like San Antonio, Phoenix, Sacramento, Dallas, Houston, Denver, and Memphis who all have far superior post men in comparison to the Lakers. I mean that is almost like saying LeBron's trade value dropped because the Cavs didn't make the playoffs. If anything diminished Kobe's trade value this year it was how he let the media just steamroll him and smear his image this year by just not keeping his mouth shut. Every time he opened his mouth the media was all over him this year.

Kobe can only do so much on his own there comes a time when you need some reliable talent around you to help get you to the next level. It is not as if Shaq has carried the Heat to the next level all on his own this year. The Heat would have been nowhere near the best record in the East if they did not have Shaq and Wade both out there this season. NBA teams need to have two or three guys that you can build a team around not just one. I think Kobe and LeBron showed that quite well this year. Have we not learned anything from T-Mac's tribulations in Orlando. Either you have to have a team with two or three All Star type of players or you have to have a team with five or six quality players a-la Denver, Memphis, and Detroit if you want to be taken seriously in the NBA these days. Heck even Jordan had some help it is not as though he won all of those titles by himself. Yes, he was a primary reason but he had some quality talent around him as well to help elevate the Bulls to an elite status.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #35
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Exactly. The addition of Phil Jackson to the Lakers' coaching staff may get the current squad TO the playoffs next year, but there needs to be significant roster changes to really go anywhere. LA is definitely in a rebuilding phase and not likely to regain elite status anytime soon.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #36
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Another reason returning to the Lakers may appeal to him (beside the fact that he's dating Jeannie Buss) is that Kobe and a few others know the triangle offense. If he went to Cleveland, he would have to teach LeBron the triangle. Seems L.A. is the path of less resistance.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #37
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but Kobe's the only key guy who knows the offense and he didn't play it when Jackson was there the first time and I will believe it when I seem him playing it if Jackson comes back. Of the top ten players in minutes played for the Lakers last season only three, Kobe, Luke Walton, and Brian Cook have played in the triangle before and Walton and Cook were 8th and 10th in minutes played respectively. So, no matter where he goes he is going to have to teach the offense to 70% of the guys who are seeing the most minutes anyways. Not to mention he will probably hang himself from the rafters halfway through the year when he cannot get anyone to play any semblence of defense.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #38
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

While watching the Sports Reporters, they made a good point. If Jackson goes back to the Lakers, then he lose a lot of respect. You diss Kobe and the Lakers for what happened and then you go back when they give you enough money to buy the team.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #39
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueBaron
I think the Lakers would be contenders if Phil came back to them. He is a great coach and he knows what it takes to win. Could you imagine the players that the Lakers could get if they traded Kobe? That's their best bet IMO.
That's absolutely crazy. Kobe isn't going anywhere for the following two reasons:

1. His contract is ginormous.
2. The Lakers gave him the ginormous contract.

The point is that LA sunk all their future financial flexibility into Kobe. The money he gets is guaranteed. In giving him the big payday, they've handicapped their ability to build around him. But build around him they must. Look, I'm a huge Laker fan and even I'm aware of how incredibly difficult it is going to be to right the ship. Buss and Kupchak really backed themselves into a corner and are now forced to build the team around perhaps the most unpopular guy amongst other players in the league. If Phil comes to LA, he's going to need a lot more than Kobe and four shlubs if he's going to win. For the Lakers to get better, they need to scrap about 2/3 of the current roster. That, unfortunately, means getting rid of Odom and Butler. Those guys have to go because they're the only ones with any trade value. Kobe is simply too expensive for anyone to reasonably take on at this point. He's untradable.
Sports Again?!

Last edited by Shawndo; 05-02-2005 at 08:18 PM.
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #40
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

agreed 99, for the most part... except I would really think twice and three times before trading Butler.. I think he's got a lot more potential than we've seen so far and even more importantly: he jives with the Bean.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #41
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Don't get me wrong, I like Caron, too. But look at that roster and tell me anyone besides him and Odom would attract any interest from around the league. It's a risk, but it is being made with respect to the future.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #42
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Odom is pretty much untradeable himself. The Heat laughed all the way to the bank when they unloaded that contract, as well as Grant's, on the Lakers. Odom has a max deal, or close to it, and nobody else in the league thinks he is worth anything near the money he is making. Besides that trading Odom and Butler is not worth it unless you get a greater number of players in return. You are not going to get that much for Butler. He is a nice player but he is not one of those guys that teams are going to give you multiple players or draft picks for. Same goes for Odom. Odom is overpaid for what he produces given that he does not play lockdown defense and only plays defense when he feels like it.

Ultimately, Kobe's contract is not the stickler here. Every good team has a guy with a contract like Kobe's and still manages to acquire enough talent to build around him. The stickler is that they are on the hook for 30 mil to Brian Grant over the next two years and 52 mil to Odom over the next four years.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:22 AM   #43
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

absolutely right, doublee...
and what it all boils down to is that calling the Lakers management's job this off-season a challenge, is an immense understatement.

But with Phil on board, working tightly with Buss and Kupchak, it would go a lot smoother. Everyone knows that.

My crystal ball says it's time for Jackson to embrace the challenge and show us some MacGyver tricks .
Old 05-06-2005, 10:41 PM   #44
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

An interesting development in the PJ Sweepstakes. The Sacramento Bee is reporting that the Kings are interested in talking to Jackson. The Kings present an intriguing possibility as they have a big man who can pass and two perimeter guys who can score in Bibby and Peja. Of the three teams still in the running the Kings seem to be the best fit talent-wise and of course they already have a winning team in place...
Old 05-07-2005, 02:46 AM   #45
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

LMAO! Anyone remember Phil's very outspoken distaste for Sacramento during the peak of the LA/Sac rivalry? He called it a 'cow-town' among other things... Odds of Phil Jackson coaching in Sacramento are roughly similar to the odds of me swimming to England