Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #46
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I don't see this going past 4 games. Cavs are a bad team that's lucky to be there-- Pistons didn't even look like they were trying half the time in the last series, that's why the Cavs somehow made it.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #47
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't call the Cavs a bad team. I'd say they are a good, but not a great, team.

The Pistons lost a bit of their edge and on-floor leadership when they let Wallace walk. There is no way LeBron is cleanly finishing some of those drives to the basket that he got against Detroit if Big Ben is back there as he is not afraid to knock a guy on his butt from time to time. That was the big thing that bugged me when LeBron took over Game 5 is that not one guy for the Pistons stepped up when LeBron was going to the hoop and knocked him down. He would simply beat his guy off the dribble and if he was fouled it was a weak foul at best.

I still think the Cavs will get one at home.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #48
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

You're right Doublee, they're not bad... just bad for a Finals Team. Spurs, aside from being a darn good team, have the killer instinct and edge that Detroit lacked.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #49
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Not in the Finals they don't though. Only the Bulls have a better winning percentage in the Finals than the Spurs do. The Spurs may fall asleep at the wheel at times during the season but when it comes to the Finals they are all about closing teams out.

I doubt this ends up being a sweep but I will also won't be surprised if the Spurs close it out in five or less.
The benefit of the Spurs "falling asleep at the wheel" for the Cavs will produce 1, possibly 2, games at most IMO.

I'm of the mindset of a lot in that 5 should do it with 6 only should the Spurs allow it. Cleveland's just over-matched in this one...

Quote:
To be perfectly honest I think Flip Saunders and the Pistons lost that series as much as the Cavs won it. Why Detroit is even considering bringing Saunders back is beyond me. He is simply re-inforcing the rep he earned in Minnesota as being a coach who cannot get his team to the promised land. I am not even sure he really wants to be there as there were some reports that he would have bolted for the University of Minnesota job this past spring if would have been feasible to do so.
I'm also with you that the Pistons lost that series, not the Cavs winning it. They tried to downplay the loss of Big Ben but the reality kicked 'em in the ass this playoffs that Wallace is what kept the paint safe. Flip did nothing to adjust for that at all...
Old 06-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #50
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I agree with that assessment, Tark. The Pistons were a perimeter team this season, with a minor presence in the paint. Rasheed Wallace is a decent rebounder, but the Pistons need to replace Ben's abilities.
The Cavs are going to be a very good team, but this season, I think the Spurs will win the title again. They are just too good inside and play unselfish ball. Duncan and Parker are a great offensive pair and Bowen plays defense inside the other player's jersey at times.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #51
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
You're right Doublee, they're not bad... just bad for a Finals Team. Spurs, aside from being a darn good team, have the killer instinct and edge that Detroit lacked.
I'll agree with that.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #52
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Tonight might be the most pivotal game in the series. If the Cavs can win, we will have a competitive series. If the Spurs win easily again, it's all but over. The Spurs, as you all said, have such mental toughness that they will not let the Cavs get back into it down 0-2.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #53
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Wow! Are the Cavs even aware there was a Game Two tonight?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #54
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Robert Horry came up big tonight and is Steven A. Smith's guest right now. I don't really like Steven A, but Horry is pretty good, even though he is about my age.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #55
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

It was interesting at the end for a while at least. Mike Brown has some interesting adjustments he can make. The lineup with Jones, James, Gibson, Varejao and Marshall provides a dilemma for the Spurs. There's too many shooters spreading the floor for San Antonio to defend. Then again, it's a terrible defensive unit.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 AM   #56
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The Spurs are the only reason that this series will go beyond 4. I expect them to hit enough of a lull that the Cavs'll steal one, maybe 2, on nothing but emotion & the Spurs getting complacent...

The 4th quarter was made out to be some great surge by the Cavs which I never saw. I saw the Spurs go to quick sets & too much outside shooting which helped shift the score. I just wish they'd keep the petal to the metal & end this. This is where it becomes boring, at least to me...
Old 06-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #57
Marc
Administrator

I expect the Spurs to slip in maybe one game, no more. The disparity between the teams is huge. This seems like a first round matchup. LeBron's Game 5 performance is seeming like an anomaly. His games are okay, but he's not dominating or willing his team to victory like M.J. and others did.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #58
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Master 2 Grasshopper 0

Thinkin' last night...with the Cavs already in the ground...

Tony Parker

Rings: 3 (pending this series of course...)

Career averages to date...

15.6 PPG
3.1 RPG
5.4 APG
49% FG
72% FT
32% 3-PT

2002 ALL-ROOKIE 1ST TEAM
2006 ALL-STAR
2007 ALL-STAR STARTER

Even if you stop with the rings right now and this guy plays 5 to 6 years at his current level...he's a HOFer.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #59
Marc
Administrator

Exactly re: Parker.

Quote:
The (Consummate) Professional

Tony Parker. He raps in French, leads the league in scoring in the paint, leads the world in scoring with Eva Longoria, and is locked down by a perennial contender until 2011 for around $13 million a year. Oh, and he's 25. Love him or hate him, damn, he's good.
https://www.sports-central.org/sport...ofessional.php
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #60
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I was wrong on this one. The Cavs are completely over-matched, period...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote