Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
BettorFan
Sports Enthusiast

BettorFan is on a distinguished road
Default Kobe vs. LeBron

Looks like Kobe got the best of the Cavs today.
BettorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Neither player had memorable nights, but you can't expect 50+ all the time from these guys; they have off-nights. Still, their teams are good enough to win despite them. I think LeBron has the better overall game (more rebounds, assists), but Kobe is a better pure scorer and defender. That fade-away rainbow shot on LeBron by Kobe was really Jordan-esque.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Master
Rookie my donkey

Master is on a distinguished road

Kobe vs. Lebron... and Lamar Odom wins! Never could have predicted that
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
Master
Rookie my donkey

Master is on a distinguished road

able to make wild clutch shots: Kobe
free throws: Kobe
ability to finish in the paint: Lebron
mid-range jumper: Kobe
court vision/assists: Lebron
better defense/thief: Kobe
more body control/grace: Kobe
more power: Lebron
better 3 point shooter: Kobe
won championship: Kobe
ability to take over games: Tie
better media personality: Lebron
more likely to get a tripledouble: Lebron
better dunks: Tie
higher value in a trade: Lebron (age)
my favorite player: Kobe
my favorite player after KB retires: Lebron
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kobe: 10 (olympics?)
Lebron: 7

Anyone else?
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Master, it's hard for me to dispute anything you said. Nice breakdown. I think Kobe having a wider array of offensive game gives him the slight edge now. LeBron is the better passer and rebounder, the defense is pretty even, but in the clutch, I would rather give the ball to Kobe. He's a proven champion.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Master, it's hard for me to dispute anything you said. Nice breakdown. I think Kobe having a wider array of offensive game gives him the slight edge now. LeBron is the better passer and rebounder, the defense is pretty even, but in the clutch, I would rather give the ball to Kobe. He's a proven champion.
Is he really? What has he won since Shaq left town? The fact that Shaq left town and won another title within two years with a supposedly lesser player in Wade and Kobe has won nothing in the four years since speaks volumes to how much Kobe owes Shaq for those three titles they won together.

My biggest issue with Kobe is that I don't believe that he makes the players around him better whereas I think LeBron elevates the talent around him the way Jordan did.

My other issue with him is he forces way too many bad shots for a guy who is supposed to be the best closer in the game. He still chucks up three pointers with a hand in his face and drives the lane and forces up bad shots in the face of a double team.

For all of the talk about him being a clutch player what happened to him against the Celtics in the Finals last year when the Lakers needed him the most? He got shut down the last 3 games of the series by a guy, Paul Pierce, who is not even considered an elite defender and has never once been voted to the All-Defensive team.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Is he really? What has he won since Shaq left town? The fact that Shaq left town and won another title within two years with a supposedly lesser player in Wade and Kobe has won nothing in the four years since speaks volumes to how much Kobe owes Shaq for those three titles they won together.
Even though Wade is VASTLY superior to Kobe the point is taken: need the big to win the ring.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Even though Wade is VASTLY superior to Kobe the point is taken: need the big to win the ring.
I am not arguing that one way or the other but if you ask anyone in the mainstream media they will tell you Kobe is the better of the two.

I would say that skill-wise Kobe is probably the better player but I think D-Wade is above Kobe in the intangibles department and when you get to where the skill level is not significantly different I will take the guy with the intangibles on my squad.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I would say that skill-wise Kobe is probably the better player but I think D-Wade is above Kobe in the intangibles department and when you get to where the skill level is not significantly different I will take the guy with the intangibles on my squad.
EXACTLY.

And the intangibles win rings. That's all there is to it.

It doesn't matter that Kobe is better skill wise, his mental defects prevent him from being a champion at this point. Had Magic or Bird felt the same way about their HOF bigs and shipped them off in mid career like Kobe did with Shaq their ring collection would be cut in half.

But they weren't psychopaths...like Kobe.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kobe has done more with less than Wade has, though. He gets a lot out of Gasol as well and I think he has made Gasol a much better player.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote