Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 04-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Armageddon in Chapel Hill?

The ACC Sports Journal is reporting that Felton, May, and Marvin Williams are expected to put their names in the NBA Draft by the end of this week. The thought is that Felton is gone for good and May will wait on hiring an agent until he has a good feeling for where he will go in the draft, but after his performance in the tournament his stock probably cannot get any higher. It is unknown what Williams will do, but I think he is as good as gone as it is being speculated that he will be a top five pick.

So, the odds of a UNC repeat are looking pretty slim right now.

http://blog.850thebuzz.com/

Now, I know this not exactly a national well known source, but the reporter who is breaking the story here locally is pretty reputable and has a track record for not reporting rumor and innuendo.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Luckily, Carolina does have one of the top recruiting classes coming in this year, but it looks like they will only be returning about 10 ppg total from last year (almost all David Noel) from a team that averaged 88 ppg. And with exit parties going on at Wake Forest and Georgia Tech as well, the ACC may be in for a down year next season, with Duke being the overwhelming favorite.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The problem is unlike most years the Heels have no established veterans coming back. They lose their top seven scorers and David Noel is the only returning player who averaged more than 10 mpg this past year. David Noel averaged 3.9 ppg and Reyshawn Terry 2.3 ppg and they are the top returning scorers. They do have a top notch recruiting class coming in, assuming none of them go pro, but none of those guys is a pure PG which is going to hamstring them quite a bit.

If Shelden Williams comes back for Duke they will be an overwhelming favorite to win the ACC if not the NCAA tournament next year. The only real player of significance currently leaving is Daniel Ewing. They have a pair of 6-10 studs to throw into the mix with Randolph and Williams and have Greg Paulus coming in to backup Dockery at PG. Not to mention they will still have Melchionni and DeMarcus Nelson coming off the bench. Not to mention the reigning ACC Player of the Year in J. J. Redick. If Shelden returns for one more year this team will be loaded.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

If you're a Carolina fan, you have to be crying in your milk right now. This team will be nowhere next season. Losing their top seven scorers from a championship team? Yikes. The question for next season suddenly becomes, "Will UNC even make the tournament?"
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It is not all bad for Carolina they do have one of the top recruiting classes in the nation coming in and Williams has always been good at getting his teams to overachieve.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Anyone not see this coming? IF UNC won the title, why would any of them stay? They won the title.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Hard to feel sorry for Carolina as they can hold their trophy to comfort themselves.

Looks like with all the departures they're going to get this talented, but raw power forward recruit named Uche Echefu, someone Kentucky was recruiting. But the Wildcats signed JUCO star Rekalin Sims from Salt Lake City. He's going to fill a big hole with Chuck Hayes graduating. With him and everyone else, Kentucky is going to have a serious shot at a title next year.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
It is not all bad for Carolina they do have one of the top recruiting classes in the nation coming in and Williams has always been good at getting his teams to overachieve.
I'd say that is definitely a point of contention. There's no doubting he's a good coach, but I can think of a few Jayhawk squads -- notably '97, '98, and '02 -- that underachieved. I know '02 is a tough one since they made the Final Four, but they should've won the title. And all of those clubs were loaded with talent. Williams has his plate full this go around.
Sports Again?!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

Good teams don't rebuild; they just reload.

Duke wins the ACC title like 6/7 years. With those pesky Terps that *tries* to get some respect...but it's quite sad when they have to chase down JJ's cell #.

Sheldon is coming back...he could use some improvement on the offensive end, but he's one of the rocks of this team, and next year I think he and JJ might be co-captains.
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Tri-Captains for next season's squad were named at last weekend's banquet and they are: Sean Dockery, J. J. Redick, and Shelden Williams. Word on the street is that Shavlick Randolph is pissed about not being named a captain and is contemplating quitting the team. I cannot see how it is he thought he should have been a captain to begin with.

Anyway, with all of the talent leaving the other schools this spring and Duke keeping its top guys, outside of Daniel Ewing, they are overwhelming favorites to win the conference next season. With all of the talent coming in Duke should be a favorite to win it all.

The interesting thing is Williams may end up banking more money overall if the age limit goes into effect for the next draft Shelden will almost assuredly be a top lottery pick whereas this year he probably would have gone mid-to-late first round.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The Big East is in for a strong season in 2005-2006. Connecticut and Villanova both return almost all of their starters with UConn's Charlie Villanueva being the only exception if I'm not mistaken. Syracuse should be near the top of the league and don't forget that Louisville, Marquette and DePaul will all be entering the league as well. West Virginia won't be an overwhelming favorite going into the season but they return a solid core of players from last season's Elite Eight team and should be in the league's top tier. Georgetown looks primed for a return to the NCAA Tournament after a several season hiatus. And on this day- April 28th, 2005- I go on record as picking Villanova to win the 2005-2006 national championship. Quietly, Jay Wright has built a winner. Don't forget that Villanova came very close, without Curtis Sumpter, to beating North Carolina in the Sweet 16.

North Carolina fans are in for a long season if the freshmen don't come in right away and play well. Three freshmen, at least, will most likely have to start immediately. I wouldn't go as far to say that UNC will miss the NCAA Tournament but I wouldn't pick them any higher than 5th in the ACC at this point. Duke, Maryland, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and even Boston College appear to be better teams than North Carolina. Then again, who would have thought West Virginia would be as good as they were last season? Anything is possible in the strange world of college basketball.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think I would put Wake above UNC unless Eric Williams takes his name out of the draft. As it stands now Wake is losing Paul and Williams. Ga-Tech could be a big question mark as well with Jarrett Jack throwing his name in the draft. I think Will Bynum has another year left, but he is mroe of a scorer than a PG, and after Jack they did not do much by way of developing another PG. If Quentin Thomas can mature as a player and become a 'good-enough-PG' then UNC should be alright. Don't forget about NC State either. The only guy they lose is Hodge, they have a pretty good core returning and a couple of good recruits coming in.

The consensus around here in the local media seems to be that Duke, BC, NC State, and Ga Tech will fight it out for the top spots in the conference.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by YankeeDoodle
Good teams don't rebuild; they just reload.
I hope you don't think this will apply to UNC next season. When's the last time a school lost their top 7 seven scorers and didn't miss a beat? Try never. Those incoming freshman better be something special for Chapel Hill's sake.
Sports Again?!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
BlueBaron
Sports Enthusiast

BlueBaron is on a distinguished road

The Heels will be fine. Playing in the NIT ain't all that bad!
BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #15
YankeeDoodle
Grizzled Veteran

YankeeDoodle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueBaron
The Heels will be fine. Playing in the NIT ain't all that bad!

There's no way UNC isn't getting at least an at-large bid...actually since Duke is picked to win the ACC, that would be it.

The talent just isn't that great to begin with. Duke isn't the Duke of Old...in the early 90s, and UNC doesn't have the Jordan caliber talent. So everyone is diluted right now...Kansas? Oh they must be fuming in Lawrence.

It would be far more impressive, even though it's hard to GM a team in the pros and keep the talent together w/ free agency - to have a UCLA streak now, than it would be than say, a Celtics-streak. That Coach K, Calhoun, Williams, Pitino, Boeheim, can win in this era of where player go through revolving players, and they aren't of pro-caliber.

Basketball is the sport where coaches don't think it's necessarily better to jump to the pro ranks. They stay in the college ranks for many years - Durham is just fine.
YankeeDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote