Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road
Default Detriot Lions

This is the year Harrington has to produce. He has three good WRs now. Charlie Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams. That's a deep receiving corps.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Indeed. And that's assuming their WRs can actually stay healthy. Frankly, even I am becoming concerned about the Packers' ability to win this division again. It's going to take a lot of things going their way for them to fend off the Vikes and Lions, teams that have been stockpiling themselves with young talent and free agents.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

the Norris division is going to be a tough one
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
play23
Sports Enthusiast

play23 is on a distinguished road

Harrington definetely needs to come up big now. I don't think that he will though. I think he is one of those guys who was good in college but can't make it in the NFL. People have been saying he is going to blow up but I just don't buy. I gave up on him before last year. I don't think that he will ever blow up or get better no matter who is around him.
play23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

For Lions fans, Harrington needs to fail early and often (because it's going to happen eventually anyway). Garcia will win with that offense. Vikings are clearly the most talented team in the division though
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Matt Millen might actually be able to keep his job, if this offense is as explosive on the field as it looks on paper.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
Daschwam13
Rookie Player

Daschwam13 is on a distinguished road

the lions have been underachieving with harrington at the helm but this year cud actually be a sign of things to come in detroit...finally a RB and 3 WR's so if harrington doesnt produce he might as well get the boot

also, the lions made a great value pick with Big Mike Williams but they lost out on much needed defensive help in players such as Derrick Johnson(top defensive player in the draft), Shawn Merriman, DeMarcus Ware, and Thomas Davis but overall a solid draft with shaun cody in the 2nd round

ne thoughts???
Daschwam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Don't know if Harrington is going to have three great wide receivers to throw to, as the latest pick has immediately raised speculation as to whether Charles Rodgers is already finished after beginning his NFL career with back-to-back injury washouts.

Virtually all mainstream observers are saying that defense was a far more pressing need, and I for one tend to agree.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Detriot Lions

Quote:
Originally posted by G-MenNMetsfan
This is the year Harrington has to produce. He has three good WRs now. Charlie Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams. That's a deep receiving corps.
No doubt! If Harrington does anything less than 25 TDs, 10 INT, then, I'm sorry, you have to cut him and ship him off to Siberia. If he doesn't put up strong numbers with that core of receivers, you really have to wonder. I do, however, think Harrington will break out this season. The addition of Mike Williams and a healthy Charles Rodgers should assure that. Oh, and the secondaries in his division are still Green Bay, Minny, and Chicago. Yeah, Harrington had better blow up this year.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Don't know if Harrington is going to have three great wide receivers to throw to, as the latest pick has immediately raised speculation as to whether Charles Rodgers is already finished after beginning his NFL career with back-to-back injury washouts.

Virtually all mainstream observers are saying that defense was a far more pressing need, and I for one tend to agree.
I definitely agree that they needed defense above all else, but you have to admire the stones on Mariucci for taking the best player available. And what a player, at that! I, personally, think Mike Williams is the cream of the entire 2005 crop.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #11
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I think Mike Williams was the best WR available in the draft, and at pick #10, the Lions got a steal.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #12
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think that if this team doesn't lead the NFC in Offense then Harrington should be out because there is no reason they shouldn't. Also I like the strategy that the Lions are using to build the team. It won't win them any superbowls but it will keep them competitve just look at the Colts.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

If Rogers can stay healthy unlike his first two seasons, then they will be an offensive force. If Harrington fails, they still have Garcia. Garcia is solid and with a good set of receivers and a solid RB in the backfield. Their big question becomes the defense. They can surprise the NFL in the Norris.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Except the thing is the Vikings did a lot more to improve the overall talent of their team this offseason and not having the proverbial pink elephant that nobody is noticing in the clubhouse could work wonders for team chemistry. God knows the Packers did little to nothing to improve themselves so far this offseason and the Bears are probably still a work in progress. I'd feel better about the Bears' chances if Grossman had not gone down so early in the year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I think Brett and the Pack will enjoy being underdogs this season. The defense has been improved to a minimal extent. Arturo Freeman and Earl Little have been brought in to compete for Darren Sharper's vacated spot. As long as they can tackle they are already an improvement over Sharper.

Keep in mind that Jim Bates, Miami's ex-Defensive Coordinator/Interim Head Coach, is the new defensive coordinator. Green Bay's ex-Defensive Coordinator Bob Slowik was a moron. He had no business being a coordinator and it showed with the poor performance just about everywhere on defense last season. Just having Bates alone will improve the defense to some degree. I'm still looking for the Packers to possibily sign a D-Lineman after June 1st cuts.