Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road
Default Recent Trades

There have been 2 trades today within the NFL. The first trade was the Buccaneers receiving 49ers QB Tim Rattay for an undisclosed draft pick. This move was made to replace Brian Griese for Tampa Bay. The second trade was the Chargers receiving Miami QB A.J. Feely and an undisclosed draft pick for San Diego QB Cleo Lemon. I think the Bucs should have went after a QB with more experience, such as Jeff George. I have never even heard of Cleo Lemon, but I guess Miami sees something in him.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Cleo Lemon? Now that's a name!

I guess this means Alex Smith is being thrown out to the dogs and there isn't any help in sight for him. Who's his backup now?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

No Idea. I guess this also means the Chargers have no intention of keeping Phillip Rivers at the end of this season.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Cleo Lemon? Now that's a name!

I guess this means Alex Smith is being thrown out to the dogs and there isn't any help in sight for him. Who's his backup now?
Well, that was the case when they decided to run him out there against the Colts. If you are willing to run him out there against, arguably, the best team in the league then you may as well stay with him the rest of the way.

I believe Ken Dorsey is still in San Fran so I am assuming he is now Nolan's number two guy.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Well, that was the case when they decided to run him out there against the Colts. If you are willing to run him out there against, arguably, the best team in the league then you may as well stay with him the rest of the way.

I believe Ken Dorsey is still in San Fran so I am assuming he is now Nolan's number two guy.
That's probably the worst QB setup in the NFL.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Very weird trades. It's rare that midseason QB trades get PT, but Rattay actually might..
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
No Idea. I guess this also means the Chargers have no intention of keeping Phillip Rivers at the end of this season.
I wouldn't ride off the chance that San Diego doesn't decide to trade away Brees instead. I feel that they can get much more value for him instead of probably just a first round pick like they would for Rivers.

And if Chris Simms messes things up this week, look for Rattay to step in immediately. I don't think Gruden is playing around with his 5-1 football team this season.
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know I think Brees' fate in San Diego depends on how well they finish up the season. They are currently 3-3 and an 8-8 season is not out of the question given who they still have left on the schedule. If the Chargers fail to make the playoffs this year then there is probably a pretty good chance that Brees is playing elsewhere next season, or at the very least, Rivers and Brees are both still in San Diego. But, if the Chargers win a playoff game or two then it is going to be awfully hard not to keep Brees as your starting QB.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

unless you can't get a fair deal for moving Rivers I just don't see why you would want to get rid of Drew Brees. it's just like pushing the reset button on one of the better teams in the league. sure they are only .500 right now, but their schedule is borderline unfair. new england, pittsburgh, and philly all in a 4 week span in the first half of the season? then @ Indy, @ KC, and vs Denver to finish the season. ouch.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:29 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If Brees has another solid season this year he will have debunked all the myths about him - at least to me anyway; then it will be Rivers that the Chargers will try to move.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
That's probably the worst QB setup in the NFL.
Likely so. It's a little bit frightening that there is a worse QB tandem than Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright.

I'm probably the only one here who has actually heard of Cleo Lemon. He played his college ball at Arkansas State and has been bouncing around the league for a year or two.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

As a Niners fan, I'm glad they moved Rattay. Get him out of the way and put The Kid behind the wheel. Just throw him to the lions...see if he can fend em off like the Spaniard. Besides, the more loses the better. Reggie Bush, baby, Reggie Bush.