Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

Spug Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Jealousy and Bittnerness from the eyes of a Cleveland Fan

We as Cleveland sports fans have been accused of many things, being to hardcore, loyal, bitter, and somewhat naive to name a few. But I am here to add one more to the list, Jealous. Yes I said it, Cleveland area sports fans are indeed jealous.

You see as national recognition is concerned, Cleveland is on the bottom of the totem pole. We watch with anguish as our teams are belittled and downgraded in the national sports media for their downfalls and dismissed just as quickly when they achieve some amount of success. As a Clevelander and a fan of my local teams I will be the first to step up and defend my town on a national perspective but with the passing of the super bowl and the coronation of a new king in the NFL I must admit that I like many other fans view this with a jealous eye.

We have watched moments in sports history where we were not on the righteous end pass us by in the past few decades. John Elways drive to send the Bronco's to the Super Bowl over the Browns, Micheal Jordan's shot over Craig Elo, Ernest Byner's Fumble on the one yard line, Jose Mesa melting down in the 97 World Series, Or the Indians letting a 3-1 lead in the ALCS slip away against Boston in 07. All moments in which it seemed the Cleveland sports teams seemed poised to finally take their rightful place amongst the champions yet we watched them slip by with a sense of futility.

All of these events have led to a sense of jaded bitterness and jealousy within the mind of a Cleveland fan. It is perceived in the eye of Clevelanders that there is some mythical deity laughing and reveling in Cleavland's misery. Take the case of Lebron James and his pending free agency in 2010. The national media has grabbed a hold of friendship with hip-hop mogul Jay-Z and the local perception that Cleveland is not a big enough stage for such a superstar, We in our own minds have begun to justify his leaving already in 2009 as James being selfish, spotlight hungry player. The envy of big markets and championships is ever apparent in the fallout from the now week old Super Bowl 43 as the Steelers win their 6th championship.

Clevelanders for the past decade have longed for their Browns to show that the "REAL" Browns were indeed here in Cleveland yet all we have to show for it is failed management, Bad Drafts, Yet another coaching change, And the national perception that such a storied franchise and fan base as Cleveland just can't get it right. These are festering open sores on the psyche of the Cleveland sports fan worse than our chief rivals in the Steelers no longer recognizing us as a threat.

Yet as I sit here writing this out for your consumption I must admit that the light at the end of the tunnel this time is not the proverbial freight train getting ready to barrel us over but indeed a true passage to the promised land. The 09 Cleveland Indians bring us a promising look to a championship in a baseball landscape dominated by heavy handed contracts and steroid scandals. The Cavaliers have proven even after the half way point schedule wise and on the cusp of the All-Star break have a legitimate chance for this cities first NBA title. In case you thought I was forgetting you, Browns fans mark my words on this the Ninth day of February 2009. The Cleveland Browns will make the Super Bowl in the next 5 years.

Yes we Clevelanders are all the things I have stated above. Yes we urn for success and respect. Yes we wish to be thought of as relevant to the national sports landscape. This will never happen though Cleveland unless you put the jealousy and bitterness aside, Put your gear on, Sack up and let the nation know that the name on the door says Cleveland.

Spug
<<<redacted promotional information>>>

Last edited by doublee; 02-10-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Spug Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I feel sorrow for Cleveland fans. LeBron is most certainly leaving for the Big Apple, then the Cavs will return to irrelevance again. It's not too late, you can always move somewhere cool, though. The Mistake by the Lake. :uhoh:

But at least you're not Detroit. And if it's any consolation, if the Cardinals can get to the Super Bowl, maybe someday the Browns can. Give the QB job to Brady Quinn!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

Marc,

While most of the nation feels the same way about lebron that you do. The rational thinking fans as opposed to the ever pessimistic ones know that we still have a season and a half left before the big free agent year and no team can offer James more money than cleveland. Dan Gilbert has made it very apparent that he will do what ever it took to keep lebron james here, Lebron himself has stated his willingness to return.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know that LeBron to NY is as much of a slam dunk as ESPN wants us to believe it is. If LeBron is all about winning championships then I do not know why he would abandon a franchise clearly headed in the right direction for one that is pretty much in the same disarray he inherited when he came into the league in Cleveland.

Besides, I think LeBron would fare better in an offense that is not predicated on run-and-gun like D'Antoni's is. His legs will stay fresher and he will be able to use his strength to his advantage.

The Knicks are going nowehre fast and the Cavs are a franchise on the rise.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
From an outside perspective, this issue is this clear-cut. But does LeBron James have an ego (of course he does...all athletes do) that suggests that he is the reason Cleveland is on the rise and that he too can be the reason that New York manages to keep an apparent sinking ship afloat? As you said, New York is "pretty much in the same disarray he inherited when he came into the league in Cleveland," so if he could be the guiding light for the Cavs, who is to say he can't do it for the Knicks?

I completely agree with you that a leap to New York would be a huge mistake, but I could see where LeBron could talk himself into the challenge, as well as more media endorsements and exposure everynight.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

Lebron gets his exposoure every night. He will get it no matter what team he is on. As far as endorsements are concerned though, if nike was willing to give him 90 million as a rookie in cleveland why would they give him more if signed with new york.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
From an outside perspective, this issue is this clear-cut. But does LeBron James have an ego (of course he does...all athletes do) that suggests that he is the reason Cleveland is on the rise and that he too can be the reason that New York manages to keep an apparent sinking ship afloat? As you said, New York is "pretty much in the same disarray he inherited when he came into the league in Cleveland," so if he could be the guiding light for the Cavs, who is to say he can't do it for the Knicks?

I completely agree with you that a leap to New York would be a huge mistake, but I could see where LeBron could talk himself into the challenge, as well as more media endorsements and exposure everynight.
Right but my point is more of why go through it all over again when you do not have to?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpugGuy
Lebron gets his exposoure every night. He will get it no matter what team he is on. As far as endorsements are concerned though, if nike was willing to give him 90 million as a rookie in cleveland why would they give him more if signed with new york.
LeBron will always have exposure and endorsement deals no matter where he plays, just because he is one of the best players in the league. The same could have been said for Brett Favre. Brett was often discussed, but moreso this past year. Favre was one of the major topics of conversation of every Sunday night and Monday morning on national television and national radio primarily because he was now someone that the media was the closest to and was seeing prominently featured in their area in the major newspapers (no offense to the media outlets in Cleveland and Green Bay, but you are not The New York Times, The New York Post or the New York Daily News). LeBron is a household name, but if he desires a A-Rod level of exposure, he will find that in New York.

And if LeBron wants more endorsement deals, he can find ten on every street corner in New York.

The question for LeBron is whether he is interested more in money and his hype as a player, or whether he truly wants to win a championship. If it is about a ring, neither Cleveland nor New York will do. But, between the two, Cleveland is the best option.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

See that is the problem with the sports media and fans in general, We have been brain washed to think that endorsement deals and expousure are all that matters to an athlete anymore. Being in the area we cavs fans hear on and see on a daily basis his comitment to win a championship here in cleveland. Should Lebron leave I will support him no matter where he goes but with the moves Ferry has made and the moves they are planning to make, I really don't think James is going anywhere.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Bob Frantz is from the Cleveland area - is he not?

And if you don't know who that is - believe me, you're not missing much.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

Correct on both accounts Anthony...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I don't know that LeBron to NY is as much of a slam dunk as ESPN wants us to believe it is. If LeBron is all about winning championships then I do not know why he would abandon a franchise clearly headed in the right direction for one that is pretty much in the same disarray he inherited when he came into the league in Cleveland.
The Knicks aren't in as much disarray as they were a year ago. Not even close. Fact is, we still don't know if Ferry and Cavs Inc have what it takes to win a ring. Fair enough though, we don't if NY does either.

However,

NY will have left over cap space to sign a big and if Lebron is truly committed to winning a ring he'll have to consider NY if they have a Bosh or Stoudemire (even though he blows IMO) over the Cavs who currently don't have a potential HOF big.

Quote:
Besides, I think LeBron would fare better in an offense that is not predicated on run-and-gun like D'Antoni's is. His legs will stay fresher and he will be able to use his strength to his advantage.
Whether he would fare better in it or not isn't the issue. It's whether he would like it better than Cleveland is the crux of the situation. With a running big like Amare or Bosh the Knicks would run the same offense D'Antoni had in Phoenix but with Lebron as point-forward.

Quote:
They've made huge strides this season. I wouldn't rule them out.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

You mean to tell me buckeyefan that Lebron is lying when he says he likes it here? You mean to tell me that he would rather play in a rebuilding franchise is 2010 than for a franchise that is now on the cusp of being one of the elite's in the NBA today? That he would rather be just a scoring threat like kobe as opposed to a phenomenal player that needs to be accounted for on both ends of the court? And as far as NY signing Bosh or Stoudamire, we have seen over the years that Mike D's system is all about offense, they play no real defense under Mike D. So go ahead sign them and NY will just be the Phoenix of the eastern conference.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It really comes down to rather LeBron wants the challenge of the big stage of NYC, or the idea of carrying a franchise on his shoulders and building it from nothing.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
Spug Guy
Can Think For Himself

What challenge would he face in NYC that he hasn't already in cleveland? He was the number 1 draft pick, he is the face of this franchise, with the additions that dann ferry has made to the team in the past few years it has turn this team from playoff contender to championship contender on an annual basis. Trust me Zeke did far more damage to that franchise in his tenure than is visible, the Knicks won't be anywhere near the level of the cavaliers in two years when Lebron can opt out, besides should the cavaliers win a title either this season or next, why would he want to leave to start over?