Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default Dennis Franchione heading to Texas A&M

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1205/1471623.html

Dennis Franchione has reached an agreement to become the new coach at Texas A&M, ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel has learned from a member of Franchione's staff.

The staff member said Alabama has canceled all its recruiting activities for the weekend.

Terms of the deal were not immediately known.

Franchione was scheduled to meet with Texas A&M officials Thursday, just three days after R.C. Slocum was fired after 14 seasons with the Aggies. Franchione and his wife Kim boarded a private plane Thursday morning in Tuscaloosa, Ala., reportedly bound for College Station.

Which is the better head football coaching job?
Alabama?
Texas A&M?

Citing a source close to the negotiations, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that Franchione is expected to stay in Texas overnight and will be in College Station on Friday to be officially introduced as the Aggies' coach.

The chairman of Texas A&M's board of regents said Thursday that the two sides were approaching a deal.

"I understand they are past the big items,'' Erle Nye said.

Nye said university representatives and Franchione had agreed to many terms of a contract, such as its duration, salary and other items.

"I would say they are in constructive discussions,'' he said.

Nye cautioned that he was not involved in the discussions and was reporting what he'd heard from university officials.

Franchione has five years left on his contract at Alabama, with the deal paying him about $1.1 million a year. He has not signed an extension reported to be worth $15 million over 10 years.

He guided the Crimson Tide to a 17-8 record over the past two seasons, including 10-3 this year. But Alabama can't play in a bowl game this year or next because it's on probation by the NCAA, for recruiting violations that occurred before Franchione arrived.

The A&M board of regents proposed a five-year contract for Franchione to take over the Aggies' football program, the Houston Chronicle reported. Terms of an offer to Franchione were believed to be about $10 million to $11 million.

Athletic director Bill Byrne, hired away from Nebraska by A&M on Tuesday, was believed to have met Wednesday with Craig Kelly, Franchione's legal representative, to talk about a proposed deal.

Franchione had for several weeks been considered a possible replacement for Slocum, even before he was fired.

A&M lost to rival Texas 50-20 on Saturday, finishing the season 6-6 to match the team's worst record under Slocum. Not even a victory over top-ranked Oklahoma could save his job.

Franchione met for about three hours Wednesday afternoon with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore and members of the Alabama board of trustees, then left without commenting. He canceled speaking engagements Wednesday night in Columbus, Ga., and Thursday in Montgomery, Ala.

Moore said he granted A&M officials permission to talk to Franchione but wanted the coach to stay with the Crimson Tide.

"I will not impede coach Franchione in any manner if he wishes to talk to A&M,'' Moore said in a statement. "However, I wish to stress that we want coach Franchione to finish his coaching career at the University of Alabama.

"We have made what we feel is a strong and fair contractual offer to him.''

Franchione coached at Texas Christian in Fort Worth before taking the Alabama job. The Horned Frogs went 10-2 in 2000, their most victories 61 years.

Slocum, who has spent all but one season since 1972 on the A&M coaching staff, has three years remaining on a seven-year contract worth $1 million annually. A&M president Robert Gates said Slocum accepted an offer to remain at the university as his special adviser.

"I talked with R.C. this morning; we still have to work out the details to nail down,'' Gates said. "I've already arranged an office for him. We're in the process of talking about the content of the position.

"I expressed to him my enthusiasm in staying on and being an adviser and helping me. We talked about a lot of things that he could do,'' he said. "He is, without question at this point, the most recognized, and I think it's fair to say the most beloved Aggie there is alive right now with a devotion to the school.''

------------------------------------------------------------

now I what I think is ****ed up are the players that he recruited to play with him, now are without a coach
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:23 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

This is not something I expected ... why would Franchione leave Alabama, one of the best teams in the SEC, and one of the game's most historic programs that consistently has a chance to win the national title for a mediocre school? Plus, he just arrived at 'Bama. The only reasons I see are he wants to go back to Texas (TCU connections) and/or he wants to avoid the NCAA probation penalties existing at Alabama. Keith, what's your take?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:42 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I read speculation that there may be further penalties at 'Bama. If that's the case, I can understand his desire to leave.

Also, being here in Boston, having just watched Billy Beane's sudden reversal on becoming the Red Sox GM, I think it may be becoming more important in this age of overpayment in sports to consider factors that one doesn't think of when we as fans consider why a guy would change jobs or not. Franchione likely wanted to head back home (he is a Texan, after all). And, if being close to home makes up in your heart for the dollars that you may or may not be missing by changing jobs, well, that's all there is to it.

Also, I understand why you call Texas A&M a mediocre shcool, but I'm not really sure I'd consider it mediocre. There's a lot of history at A&M--no, it ain't 'Bama's, but then, there aren't more than one to three schools with as much mystique as 'Bama-- as well as tradition. Recruiting in Texas is likely easier for him, given his time at TCU. His heart, despite his words, may not have been in it at 'Bama, especially at the end of the year when A&M's AD was fired, etc.
And even if A&M is a mediocre school by today's standards, I fully expect them to be competing for a Big12 Championship in two years under his leadership. Don't be surprised if between Stoops and Franchione, Mack Brown is off looking a job in the next year or two.

Dave
Old 12-06-2002, 12:09 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass as he goes out lol
Old 12-06-2002, 06:10 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
I hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass as he goes out lol
So, Keith, is this to say that 'Bama is bitter?

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 09:06 PM   #6
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the people at A&M said "I hope the door doesnt hit him in the ass on the way out", when Bear Bryant left A&M for Bama? Just a thought.

Personally I can fully understand why Fanchione left, if being at home is where he wanted to be, as stated above by Dave.

Alabama is a prestigous job without a doubt, but that doesnt mean it is what Franchione has craved in his life. Maybe it was his dream to head A&M's program. There is enough history in Texas football that plenty of people grow up wanting to play and coach in that state.

One other thing that Dave touched on. I too have also heard and read, that there is more to come in the ways of sanctions against Alabama.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:28 PM   #7
digital7
Deep South

Yes, I agree with Dave. I think Texas A&M will be a powerhouse if Franchione stays there enough time to build the program. I'm thinking he'll stay here for awhile, so things look good in College Station. What sucks are the Bama recruits .. I think after a sudden coaching change, players would be given the choice to transfer if they please.. After all, it is the coach who recruited them
Old 12-07-2002, 01:05 AM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

He did a very good job at Bama. But when he first came to Alabama I was against his appointment. I wanted someone in the Alabama family or someone that played under Bear Bryant. But we all don't get what we want. I think he deserted his post a bit early. Two years is not any sort of commitment. He said he was committed to Alabama when he took the job. I won't miss him-that is not being bitter-that is the truth.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:29 PM   #9
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

If Texas A&M is considered mediocre by your standards, then I would have to say that recently, Kentucky basketball has been pretty mediocre. That said, no way you leave bama for A&M. He really stabbed the players that stuck with him in the back. Just seeing his press conferences, he sounds slippery as an eel.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:14 AM   #10
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

I dont mind that he left to take a job elsewhere. Everyone in all walks of life, change jobs for what they think his better for oneself.

But, he should have been man enough to meet with his players face to face, instead of doing a video and having the defensive coordinator show it to the players, saying his goodbyes.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:59 AM   #11
digital7
Deep South

that's pretty lame ...
Old 12-09-2002, 12:27 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Your right he should have at least met with his players and coaches and informed them first. Just the decent thing to do.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM   #13
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Alabama will be better off without him in my opinion, depending on who they get as their next head coach. But he did do a wonderful job with the situation he was dealt with this season...and should be commended for that....I just didn't agree with alot of his decisions in the games over the last 2 seasons. If Alabama can't find a good replacement, then they will hurt over losing Coach Fran....but if they find a decent replacement things can pick right back up.

Joey