Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

View Poll Results: Which team should play for the title if they both finish with one loss?
USC 5 38.46%
LSU 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2003, 10:56 PM   #16
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Ha! Sorry Dave, I'll just let you tell me what's right from now on, it is what you do best afterall.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:08 PM   #17
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

We all have to have our talents, Ricky....

Dave
Old 12-10-2003, 07:21 PM   #18
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

[edited below]

Last edited by El Jefe; 12-10-2003 at 09:56 PM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #19
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

^^^I've just wandered in here, and I noticed you seem to be the only one sporting the USC wagon. A Big East fan sporting the Pac-10? heh...you guys need some west coast representation.

First off, I'd just like to say to all these LSU fans that I believe they deserve to be in the Sugar Bowl...but the seeming lack of belief that USC is a legitimate No.1 team is a bit appalling to me. I'm willing to bet many of you have not watched at least 4 full Trojan games...and if you had, you wouldn't be saying what you would be saying.

If anyone watched every game week in and week out, there were two teams that stood out as the most dominant: Oklahoma and USC. LSU lived off of the SEC...that, in my opinion, is pathetic. I was real impressed by their non-conference schedule...ha. Even when you schedule years in advance, you can't honestly believe Western Illinois and Louisiana Monroe are top opponents. Of course they also picked a weak Pac-10 team in Arizona as a major conference opponent. Whoop-dee-doo. Meanwhile, USC walked INTO former No.6 Auburn, who was heavily favored, and demolished them with a shutout...a win people just don't give them enough credit for. I don't believe anyone else had as dominating performance against Auburn...and that was at the beginning of the season.

Do people not realize how much young talent lies in USC? Perhaps you haven't had enough of a taste for the three-pronged running attack, or did you miss Mike Williams PALMING the ball this past weekend...and no the tip wasn't where he palmed it. And of course practically the entire defensive team will be back next year, as will the offense. Look out.

At least ESPN recognizes USC as legitimate...as should most sports fans. If you don't, you simply haven't seen USC play enough.

as for this thread, I'd say USC. To quote my friend, USC v. Oklahoma would have been one for the ages.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #20
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

The arguement is that LSU plays in a MUCH stronger confrence than USC. I personally think USC should play LSU in the national championship. No one said anything about USC being bad, some just think that LSU is the stronger all around team. Did you watch the SEC championship, LSU completely dominated a top 10 team. I may be wrong but I thought LSU also shut up the heavily overrated Auburn.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:13 PM   #21
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

^^^LSU won that game at home. It could've been a different story at Auburn. Of course, USC took down Washington State when they were a top 10 BCS team also.

Frankly, I've always thought Georgia was a bit overrated. Outside of their victory against Tennessee, they weren't exactly an offensive powerhouse. And again, I bring up my point of the SEC living through their own conference with the exception of a couple major players such as UF and UT. Bash the Pac-10 all you want...they go out and get quality non-conference competition. Cal going to Missouri to play K-State? Washington going to Ohio State? USC to Auburn? UCLA to Oklahoma? Wazzu to ND and Colorado (normally tough)? Oregon against Michigan?

It's pretty obvious the BCS is not kind to Western teams as they are routinely ranked lower than Eastern teams. The SEC gets much more favor than the Pac-10, even in good years like 2000 and 2001...and now, 2003. Twice a Big-12 runner-up has ousted a Pac-10 champion...ridiculous.

As if the cards aren't stacked against the best in the west enough, they can't beat out teams in bigger conferences who have cupcake non-conference schedules. Now is that fair?

I don't think any of you really think SC is a bad team. if you really thought that you would just be a moron. I just have wandered in here and read some of the comments made and they just seem ignorant of USC's talent and playing level. I'm confident the Rose Bowl will be a showcase for the return of the dominance the Men of Troy once used to exhibit yearly.

And all of this is coming to you from a UCLA fan...go figure.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #22
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

If you lose a game you are always vulnerable for being left out, shouldn't have lost. It would be much different if an undefeated team was being left out.

Well if USC wins in Pasedena they will wreck the BCS, and hopefully we will get a better, less controversial system ie: 6-8 team playoff...if 6 there would be the all the big confrence champions...if 8 u could throw in an at large bid and take the top non BCS school.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #23
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

^^^well in a year where there are no undefeated teams and the human polls have spoken, that is somewhat of a moot point, don't you think?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #24
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

An 8-team playoff seems really unlikely, even if SC blows up the BCS by beating Michigan. A better bet, especially given the four teams in the pool this year, is a four-teamer, with two BCS bowls taking 1 vs. 4 and 2 v 3, and the winners of those games playing in a separate game, likely separate from the bowl system, and, with any luck, actually NCAA sponsored.

Three things:
1. Welcome to the boards, El Jefe!! :wavey:
2. As for my being a Big East guy supporting a Pac 10 team, eh, no big. I was an OSU guy when the Fiesta Bowl rolled around last year, having no love for Miami, and I generally like the underdog/picked on guy. In this particular thread, SC seems to be getting practically zero respect. That I should be the only one banging their drum is unfortunate, but not that shocking. I try to be open. Of course, if WVU had won the Big East outright, and was headed to, as a f'rinstance, the Rose Bowl to play the Trojans, I'd be bashing SC as much or more than anyone, if only to put off what I knew would happen to my 'Eers come Jan 1.
3. It's interesting that you slam the SEC as being mediocre. The SEC, Big 10, etc., ad nauseum, have similar slams of the Pac 10. It's amusing to me that balance and parity are confused for mediocrity. The fact of the matter is this: the Pac 10 has a reputation for softness, some of it earned, some of it as a result of the evenness of the conference, some of it as a result of the fact that the world hasn't gotten accustomed to the fact that historical doormats like Wazzu and Oregon and Oregon State are now perennially tough teams, in any conference. That UW and UCLA have been down in recent years doesn't help. The SEC is far from mediocre, though, and I think it's safe to say the same of the Pac 10. You want mediocrity, we've got it aplenty in the Big East and ACC, and to a larger-than-generally-observed extent, the Big 12. What the SEC has developed in the absence of Steve Spurrier is what the Pac 10 has suffered for some time: no overwhelmingly dominant personality on which to build an overwhelmingly dominant-looking program. The Big 10 has OSU and Michigan, who between them will always carry more weight than any other Big 10 team, no matter the swings and crests of parity and balance. The Big East with Miami has a dominant team, and has carried the conference generally solo for the last five years.( Pitt and WVU are well-poised to take the mantle, but won't carry the same weight as Miami until title games make their bowl seasons. WVU has the more approachable/quotable coach, and if Harris remains at Pitt for a time, will, personality-wise be eclipsed by Coach Rod. So, imo, WVU has the potential for being the next Miami in the Big East, but it'll take some time.)The SEC, sans Spurrier's Fun n Gun Gators, sans a mega-talented Tennessee, with a western division usually won by a team losing three games, looks less than what it is.

It's interesting to me, when I listen to sports radio after midnight ET, how many folks think that SC's loss to Cal was a loss to a "terrible team" (not my words, but the words of the occasionally unintelligent and audibly unwashed). They ignore that Cal just missed out on a bowl a year ago, going 7-5 and losing all but one game to a bowl-bound opponent. This season, the Bears are 7-6, having lost a game that was more competitive than 14 points usually looks to the Big 12 Champs, and, again with one exception, lost all their games to bowl-bound opponents, managing along the way to pull what, until this past Saturday, was probably the most disturbing result of the college football season (only competitor I can come up with NIU over Maryland). The Golden Bears will get their opportunity to prove their mettle against a deflated Virginia Tech team.

Meanwhile, while the integrity of the BCS system is already so questionable, I'll be hoping for a dominant win by SC over Michigan and a marginal victory in the Sugar Bowl, in hopes that ABC and the Big Six conferences see fit to convene in the offseason and dramatically change the system PRIOR to the contract expiration.

Dave
Old 12-10-2003, 10:54 PM   #25
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

El Jefe, welcome to the boards! :wavey: Stick around and join us.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:03 AM   #26
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

Thumbs up

Dave-

I like a lot of the points you've made and I agree with a lot of what you wrote. I, too, laugh at those who consider balance and parity in a conference as a sign of mediocrity when it comes to the Pac-10. I would also love to see any "powerhouse" in the nation try to come into the Pac-10 and walk out undefeated....quite doubtful in my opinion. As you mentioned, when you see doormats of a conference make runs for National Recognition as Wazzu, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, and Arizona State did, it only speaks of the quality the Pac-10 has to offer. The soft label is deserved when the teams play like it, such as the very Bruins I cheered for in '98 did when they blew a 17-point lead in Miami and sputtered to a sad Rose Bowl effort. However, if you look at conferences from top-to-bottom, I have to say that the Pac-10 is perhaps the best in the country. There is no Vanderbilt, Duke, or Baylor in the Pac-10. Heck...even Cal and Stanford own national championships...in the '20s. =D

And I mean no disrespect to the SEC...a solid conference no doubt. I just think it's bull**** that the SEC is seen in such higher light than the Pac-10 by the general public when they simply haven't seen enough Pac-10 football. There is no other conference that has more to prove for no reason whatsoever.

It is also safe to say in my opinion that the BCS doesn't respect the Pac-10 at all. Two league champions ousted by two Big 12 runner-ups...absolutely ridiculous.

And as for Cal....I say good for them. They've struggled to find a coach to stick and I think Tedford will be the guy to really make it come together. He really knows how to get everything out of his players. NO ONE recognizes how tough the Cal schedule was and to finish with a winning record far exceeded expectations with this team. Who would have thought Geoff McArthur would be an All-American???

And for your Mountaineers...best of luck to them. I really hope the Big East can maintain some credibility, but I do have my doubts. It would be great to see WVA back in the picture...I miss those Major Harris Days.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:54 AM   #27
Minok
Rookie Player

Minok is on a distinguished road
Default Its funny....

Now that its all said and done, I find it odd that this thread was a choice of picking LSU or USC to play for the championship ... against OU, I guess. Funnily enough, the question should have been, vote for the two teams you think should be in the championship game.

Turns out that after the SEC championship game, it should have been USC and LSU playing EACH OTHER with OU left out...DOH!
Minok is offline   Reply With Quote