Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-22-2004, 02:01 AM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Greatest b-ball player ever...

I guess I'll post the greatest basketball player ever thread for the heck of it. So go ahead and put your guy up and why he's the best ( and could someone on here please pick a player other then Jordan to make this atleast somewhat interesting ).
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:11 AM   #2
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Greatest b-ball player ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
I guess I'll post the greatest basketball player ever thread for the heck of it. So go ahead and put your guy up and why he's the best ( and could someone on here please pick a player other then Jordan to make this atleast somewhat interesting ).
But, it is Michael Jordan, and if anyone has anything else to say about anyone else I will gladly debate them about it.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re: Greatest b-ball player ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by Diceman
But, it is Michael Jordan, and if anyone has anything else to say about anyone else I will gladly debate them about it.
That already makes two of us.

While there have been many great players throughout the history of the NBA and basketball, nobody has been like MJ. Nobody.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Dr. J. He revolutionized the game more than any other player that ever stepped on the court. That is why Julius Erving is the best player ever.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:52 AM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Michael Jordan revolutionized the game as well...but revolutionizing the game alone doesn't make one the greatest basketball player ever. It's what happens on the court that is most important. Six rings and six playoff MVP's speaks for itself.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Ok, this isn't going according to plan...LOL. Where's Tarkus on this one BTW? Anyway, I knew almost everyone on here would pick Jordan, so I was hoping someone could pick another great to make things interesting. Guys, basketball wasn't invented in 1991, and I know I may be senile in my old age compared to you youngsters, but believe it or not, life did exist before Jordan and there were some pretty " decent" hoop stars too.

Ellis picks Dr. J., a solid choice. And I'll put The Doctor's case up for everyone...

Dr. J. came out of UMASS, averaging 27 points and 19 boards a game as a JUNIOR. He played 5 seasons in the ABA, dominating the upstart league during his time there winning 3 MVP awards, 2 ABA Titles,and 2 playoff MVP awards. He also led the ABA in scoring 3 times in his 5 year reign there, averaging nearly 32 points and 22 rebounds in only his second year ! Don't be fooled into thinking the ABA was a lesser league. Guys like Billy Cunningham, Mel Daniels, Connie Hawkins, and George McGinnis all got their start there. The league was NEARLY as solid as the NBA on the talent front.

Dr. J. moved to the Sixers after the ABA folded, leading the Sixers to 4 Eastern Conference Championships and 1 NBA Championship. Along with Boston and L.A., the Sixers were a dominate team during the first half of the 80s under Dr. J. Every year, the Celtics and Sixers would battle to see who got to play mostly L.A. in the Finals. Considering the toughness and height of the NBA at this time, winning 3 Eastern Conference titles and 1 NBA Championship would be the equivalent of winning 5 to 6 straight NBA Titles today, IMO. He was NBA MVP in 1981 and was a first team all star 5 times.

Well over 30,000 career points, a FG% ABOVE 50%, over 11,000 career rebounds and 5,000 assists, Dr. J's place as the most versatile and most dominate rebounding small forward in basketball history is quite secure. His electryfing dunks, COMBINED WITH THE SOLID FUNDAMENTALS OF DRIBBLING AND SHOOTING ( a career 78% FT and 51% FG), make him the forerunner of what was to come when Jordan arrived. And while Jordan added several spectacular athletic plays to his arsenal, make no mistake, Dr. J., along with Connie Hawkins and David Thompson, gave rise to the game being played " above the rim", with The Doctor being able to incorporate the high flying style best into actual game action.

While it has been said Jordan " transcended" the sport, it is widely regarded that Dr. J. was the first to do so. And in fact, all of Dr. J.'s strides are quite positve, compared to those by Jordan. Dr. J.'s play opened up the game, while NOT compromising the fundamentals and team concept, which built the league. Dr. J. never had a " learning process" like Jordan had. Erving understood what it took to win as soon as he turned pro, while it took Jordan many long years to understand the team concept. Likewise, Dr. J. sacrificed his offensive stats GREATLY in his Sixers days to accomadate WINNING. By his unselfish attitude, he allowed Maurice Cheeks, and later Moses Malone to help him create a winner in Philadelphia immeadately.

Dr. J's popularity helped make the ABA-NBA merger possible, in fact, some would say he alone made the event a possibility. Widely considered as the game's greatest ambassador during the 70s, it was Dr. J's play that kept pro basketball viable during it's lowest point in history ( until now).

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 06-23-2004 at 03:07 AM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:04 AM   #7
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Michael Jordan.... for the 1 millionth time.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:46 AM   #8
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

uuuuh, Michael Jordon Even if you tell me to leave Jordon out, it's still Jordan.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Another vote for Jordan.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
LLBIII29
Sports Enthusiast

LLBIII29 is on a distinguished road

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Pro Playing Highlights:

NBA Milwaukee Bucks (1969-75)
NBA Los Angeles Lakers (1975-89)

Holds NBA career records for most minutes (57,446), most points (38,387), most field goals
made (15,837) and most field goals attempted (28,307)
First player in NBA history to play 20 seasons
Led NBA in scoring (1971-31.7 ppg, 1972-34.8 ppg)
Led NBA in rebounding (1976-16.9 rpg)
Led NBA in blocked shots (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980)
NBA MVP (1971-72, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1980)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1970)
All NBA First Team (1971-74, 1976-77, 1980-81, 1984, 1986)
NBA All-Defensive First Team (1974-75, 1979-81)
NBA Finals MVP (1971, 1985)
Played in 18 NBA All-Star Games (1970-1977, 1979-89)
NBA championship with the Milwaukee Bucks (1971)
NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers (1980-82, 1985, 1987-88)
NBA 35th Anniversary All-Time Team (1980)
NBA 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996)
LLBIII29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
Guys, basketball wasn't invented in 1991, and I know I may be senile in my old age compared to you youngsters, but believe it or not, life did exist before Jordan and there were some pretty " decent" hoop stars too.
No doubt about it.

Basketball has been around quite a long time (much before 1991, when the Bulls beat the Lakers I believe...), and like I've already said there have been some fantastic players before Michael Jordan. Bird, Kareem, Magic, Dr. J...the list goes on.

But on the other hand, basketball did continue after 1991. Jordan solidified himself as the greatest by taking a low-end franchise and building it into a dynasty, his dynasty.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Michael Jeffrey Jordan.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:07 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Good arugment Marc.

Question: Who holds the record for the most records in the NBA?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #14
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Erving invented being "airborne" and played the game "above the rim." His dunks changed basketball forever.

And oh yeah, he is also #3 on the all time scoring list.

Need I say more?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #15
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Yeah Ellis, props to Dr J, but how many championships did he win?
It's hard to argue against the true best man: Michael Jordan.

But Buckeye can do it! Buck, I know you started this thread just waiting for the spot to jump in and present a very convincing case for your boy Magic Johnson, so go ahead! unleash...
(and by the way I got nuthin but love for Magic, I just think Jordan's the best)
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote