Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Swofford to Obama: STFU

Swofford: We 'welcome dialogue on what's best for college football'

President-elect Barack Obama would like a college football playoff. The BCS' response? We'll listen, but ...

BCS coordinator John Swofford responded to a stepped-up playoff push by Obama that was broadcast on CBS' "60 Minutes" on Sunday. President-elect Obama also lobbied for a college football playoff in an interview with ESPN that was broadcast the night before the presidential election during halftime of Monday Night Football.

"First of all I want to congratulate newly elected President Obama and I am glad he has a passion for college football like so many other Americans," Swofford said in a statement. "For now, our constituencies -- and I know he understands constituencies -- have settled on the current BCS system, which the majority believe is the best system yet to determine a national champion while also maintaining the college football regular season as the best and most meaningful in sports."

Swofford added: "We certainly respect the opinions of president-elect Obama and welcome dialogue on what's best for college football."

Obama said he will use his influence to create such a system.

"If you've got a bunch of teams who play throughout the season, and many of them have one loss or two losses, there's no clear decisive winner. We should be creating a playoff system," he told reporter Steve Kroft.

According to Obama's proposed system, eight teams would play over three rounds to settle the national champion.

"It would add three extra weeks to the season," he said at the conclusion of a wide-ranging interview. "You could trim back on the regular season. I don't know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this. So, I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit. I think it's the right thing to do."

Associated Press and ESPN.com news services
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3708348

No fan of the BCS here but I loved the PC response by Swofford basically telling Obama to take a hike.

And what the hell is it with this scumbag (Obama)? Doesn't he have anything else better to do than b-itch about the BCS?

"I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit"...

????????????????????

You ain't dealin' with peons ya arrogant little know-it-all. College presidents do what they want, when they want. Just because everyone else sucks your d-ick doesn't mean they will.

"I don't know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this."

Son, I've forgotten more about college football than you'll ever know and it's not only a bad idea...it's against the very fabric of what college football is all about.

Go use someone else to gain political power ya useless SOB.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

"For now, our constituencies -- and I know he understands constituencies -- have settled on the current BCS system, which the majority believe is the best system yet to determine a national champion while also maintaining the college football regular season as the best and most meaningful in sports."

:lol:

My ass...

I personally like the BCS, and don't want it to change, but I don't know one other person who agrees with me.

Quote:
And what the hell is it with this scumbag (Obama)? Doesn't he have anything else better to do than b-itch about the BCS?

He was asked about it. You know, when someone asks you a question, you normally respond... Oh wait, who am I talking to... nevermind.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

buck, I have to ask whether you even saw the interview on 60 Minutes or not. I did and personally I took it as a tongue-and-cheek response to the question. It seems kind of silly to rail against Obama for simply answering the question. Why not bang on Kroft for asking the question in the first place?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
buck, I have to ask whether you even saw the interview on 60 Minutes or not. I did and personally I took it as a tongue-and-cheek response to the question. It seems kind of silly to rail against Obama for simply answering the question. Why not bang on Kroft for asking the question in the first place?
Haven't you learned the drill around here doub?

He's part of a major political party - therefore, everything is his fault, and he is always wrong.

Think Fresh.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
1. Saw the interview

2. Tongue 'n Cheek? It wasn't like he went into "I'm talking about AIDS now so lower your head" mode but it wasn't exactly all that innocent. Plus this is the 2nd or 3rd time his worthless ass said something about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WDuQe89kJM

3. Kroft? Fine. F-Him too. But let's pound on all of the folks being useless tools - Kroft, Obama etc.

FOR CK...

ďThe government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes three-strike laws and wants them to sing God Bless America. No! No No! God damn America Ö for THE BCS!!!!

:lol:

EASY CK...it's a joke.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Plus this is the 2nd or 3rd time his worthless ass said something about it.
Yeah, and each time he was asked about it.

Think Fresh.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Big Ten commish Jim Delany's response...

"I think itís that time of year. Whether itís the president-elect or college football coaches or fans debating it, the First Amendment is alive and well."

"Certainly itís an important issue for college football and colleges. Where does it stand in the list of challenges we have in America today? I would say itís not very high.Ē

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/11113859

LOL...That's f'n great. He basically told greaseball to focus on something else and lumped him in with all the other folks b-itchin' and moaning.

WAY TO GO JIMMY!!

:thumbup:
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

I wonder what Buck would say if Raplh Nader made the same comments...

Think Fresh.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

The time where he mentioned it on the Monday Night Football halftime show he was asked a generic question about what he would change in sports. He said playoff, McCain said steroids. I think, after that, it started getting more attention and he has been asked about it.

It strikes me that Obama comes from a very casual perspective on this, especially when he gives the line about knowing no other college football fans disagree with him. There's a lot of debate about it. A lot of people think the regular season quality would be weakened with a playoff.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I wonder what Buck would say if Raplh Nader made the same comments...
Ralph Nader made sports related comments a few years back over the controversial ending to Game 6 of the 2002 NBA Western Finals.

His letter to Stern...

http://www.leagueoffans.org/sternletter.html

My response THEN and now:

STFU Nader
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Ralph Nader made sports related comments a few years back over the controversial ending to Game 6 of the 2002 NBA Western Finals.

His letter to Stern...

http://www.leagueoffans.org/sternletter.html

My response THEN and now:

STFU Nader
:thumbup:

i need to keep typing, done

Think Fresh.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

It would be nice if, when answering stupid questions like this, he made it clear that the President of the United States and the Federal government have no business at all in this area. None. It has nothing to do with them. The spirit of busibodyness is alive and well in our politics.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

In addition, is Obama even a fan of college football? Who is his team? U Chicago??? Why is he trying to ruin a sport I love which he probably is just a very very casual observer of--other than the fact that he perceives the BCS is unpopular, and wants to become more popular by opposing it? The whole ESPN interview was nothing more than pandering for votes from sports fans anyway.

I couldn't give two ****s about his tax plan, but this makes me mad!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
It would be nice if, when answering stupid questions like this, he made it clear that the President of the United States and the Federal government have no business at all in this area. None. It has nothing to do with them. The spirit of busibodyness is alive and well in our politics.
Oh, it has teeth.

When you have college presidents going out of their way to answer the questions by reporters (the idiots running back and forth between the two entities) and the man himself saying he wanted to get involved...you bet it's got SOME merit.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
In addition, is Obama even a fan of college football? Who is his team? Why is he trying to ruin a sport I love which he probably is just a very very casual observer of? I couldn't give two ****s about his tax plan, but this makes me mad!
Because he's an ass-hole.

Seriously.