Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #466
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I'm not name-calling. I just think it's ugly. The interface and everything. And I can't use it. I've tried. I've created movies on it and some simple web editing and simply cannot get used to it.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:56 PM   #467
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

You can't get used to it till you've used it for weeks, months. And you did say, "you idiot," which was disrespectful and not very polite. But whatever.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:37 AM   #468
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

add me to the list of those who dont like the OS X interface!

my desktop, simple but effective. I have this program that changes my wallpaper once every two hours, this is just one of the many.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desktop_march15copy.jpg (94.5 KB, 51 views)
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:05 AM   #469
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ack! I have found one who multitasks more than I!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #470
RaviPachai18

...or at least as much . haha.

This is a particularly bad month, I find myself having to juggle 3-4 things at a time so I just leave everything open to make things a little easier. You should see my Xemacs window, I have it split like a cross and a different file in each window. Gosh, I love Xemacs.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #471
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Lol. You should see me when I'm webdesigning! I have an insane amount of programs and windows open.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #472
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ya, when I was doing Java assignments I had my XEMacs in 4 tiles too. When I web design I have a lot open too... right now I've been kinda slow and not much computer work going on so I haven't had to multitask much... if I do need to though, my taskbar is 3 tiles high, and I have 1 GB of RAM
Old 03-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #473
Marc
Administrator

So Nate, Ravi, and Lee are all not fans of Mac OS X's interface. Fine, but I have to ask, what's so ugly about it? The little gray bar at the top? How is that more ugly than the taskbar on Windows?! Could it be the application icons at the bottom (the dock)? How are those different from Windows desktop icons or the quick launch bar? How can you honestly have an objection to that?!

There's not a whole lot that could even be considered ugly, it's a very minimalist OS, and I think some are just not used to it and refuse to open their mind and think, "you know, there might just be a better way to do things." OS X's version of My Computer is worlds better: clicking on it lets you view your personal files according to pictures, music, movies, documents, and applications. Much easier to stay organized and find things.

Multitasking on the Mac is cool -- using Expose, I have configured it so all I have to do is use a keyboard shortcut or move my mouse to the corner of the screen and it will instantly show me all programs open in nice, even fashion. I can then click on one of them to go to the program. No need to manually drag programs around to see what I have open, moving my curser, which takes a split second, will show me shots of all the things I have open.

Or, I can do that for all windows in one program, like if I have multiple mail messages open, it will show me all open and not the other programs. I've found myself trying to move the curser to the corner of the screen on Windows now, not realizing it doesn't have this capability.

One little thing OS X does better than Windows is when you minimize windows to the dock, it shows a little screenshot of what's minimized instead of just a program name. Much more intuitive and pretty. You can also turn off animiation in the dock, or have it auto-hide. Call me crazy, but I don't see any downsides here. Keep in mind that I'm not a lifetime Mac zealot, I'm a pure Windows user 100% of the time who switched, so now I am equally familiar with both.

Last edited by Marc; 03-18-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #474
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

For one thing, why do I have to go to like the most inconvient place, like the top right corner of a window or something, to resize the window??? That doesn't make sense.

Newsflash: you can do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you just mentioned on a Windows machine, I've told you this before. Can you not read? Do you understand now what I was mad at you earlier?? Because I've already told you this thousands of times!! But here we go again!

I have my mouse programed with "neat" little icons... you can have those screen or touchpad hotspots on any windows-based laptop in the world.... with the software that came with my video card, I can have it sense certain mouse movements to open applications, or minimize them, etc. You can sort documents any which way you want in Windows, too... by name or type according to pictures, music, movies, documents, and applications. Very easy to stay organized and find things. O and my keyboard has a scorll button to that I easily access with my pinky so I can switch between applcations in a split second; no need to manually drag programs around to see what I have open... or I could just look on my taskbar... or for people who can't see their taskbar or who don't have a cutting-edge keyboard like mine, they can use ALT-TAB.

Is there anything else that Macs can do that PCs can't?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:06 PM   #475
Marc
Administrator

I was just wondering what makes OS X unattractive. I also pointed out a couple features I liked on it, and I didn't want to know how you've programmed your mouse to do things. No need to get condescending or hostile, my message was certainly not.

FYI, you cannot do on a Windows machine was Expose does on the Mac. You also cannot get the full power of the dock on Windows, even with its Windows clones (hmm, funny how there are GUI Mac clones for PCs and no PC clones for Macs, that's because the Mac interface is so good).

I would just like some answers to my questions instead of a tirade.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #476
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Logitech iTouch Cordless Freedom: gives you the sidebar scroll on they keyboard I was talking about and ability to choose from a list of options for functionality for your numerous other mouse buttons.

nVidia software: senses 4 different mouse motions (back and forth, up and down, clockwise, and counterclockwise) which you can program it to recognize and upon doing so, launch certain programs, minimize a window, etc.

Mac interface bad/Windows interface good: I have to go to some little tiny spot on a window edge to resize it. I can never find anything when I minimize it. Maybe Mac isn't bad... I just don't see what's wrong with Windows. It groups things, if many documents in the same program are open it puts it under one header... I have my 3x3 quicklaunch bar, and there are many other customizable options for the quicklaunch bars, etc.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 03-18-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:37 PM   #477
RaviPachai18

Why I don't use a mac:
I`ve seen very few people deny that Apple has to constantly play catch-up with Windows. And for the very limited things that a Mac can do that windows can't, these things seem to have been developed as a "hey look, we're mac and we can do this but windows can't" tactic, not because they are of any actual use. The limited experience i have had with Mac products has left me feeling as though some major design elements are counter-intuitive. I'll use my iPod as an example only because I own one: It fails to implement circular scroll, once i reach the top, I cant go directly to the bottom, i have to scroll through how many ever hundreds of songs I have. There is no off button, as simple as it may seem, I would prefer to have an off button than to have to push and hold play/pause in order for it to turn off. I would also like a stop botton to bring a song back to the beginning but no, there is nothing like this!

With respect to software, it's fairly obvious to see that when developers take to developing software, Mac is only second best and software releases often come after the windows release. In fact, those developers like Adobe who originally developed for the Mac quickly moved across to Windows and have had much more success developing for the Windows platform. I sure their Windows vs Mac sales are quite significant.

Take a look at the Apple company and you'll see that the Mac line is not what is keeping them afloat. Their sales have been weak lately and Apple has been boosted by their ipod and movie lines.

Just looking at the screenshots of the mac UI reminds me of when I was using mandrake/redhat.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #478
Marc
Administrator

Finally, some good reasons, Ravi. You'd be surprised how many programs are designed only for the Mac, though. Not all programs are Windows first, then Mac as an afterthought. There's no denying most people use PCs, so it makes business sense for companies to focus on Windows. But that is by no means an indication that the actual Mac products are inferior.

As for the iPod, that's like owning a Sony Walkman and finding fault with it, and using that to justify all Sony stereos and PS2s are bad. Apples (no pun intended) and oranges. Nothing is perfect.

The reason software developers make software for the PC first (not always) is because that's where most of the market is. Again, that is no indication that Macs are inferior! You might find accessories catered to common cars such as Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys, can you use that as justification that BMWs and Mercedes are inferior automobiles? Of course not!

Lastly, what's so wrong with Linux? A lot of companies and big governments are moving away from Windows and towards Linux because they are more affordable and more secure. I've not much experience with Linux, but the reason it's modeled after the Mac (certainly NOT the other way around) is because most people praise the Mac's interface.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #479
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'd like to just butt in here for a moment:

Marc, when you say linux is modeled after the Mac, you're referring to the GNOME interface, right? And not linux?

GNOME has always tended toward Mac-iness, while KDE has generally tended (with extreme configurability) toward Windows-iness. But, that's just it's face.

Linux is a *nix derivative, on which both OS X and WinXP are based, these days. Sure, OS X (as Apple always has) says "screw the crap that came before" and WinXP (as MS always has) says "Screw the bloat, backward compatibility is required", but at the end of the day, they're both each company's version of BSD.

I'll agree with Lee on one niggling bit of the Apple interface: I'd like to be able to resize from any border/corner. It is irritating that that's not yet possible, and perhaps more frustrating that they haven't opened up the remaining borders/corners just because they never have.

Otherwise, I'm an OS X fan. It does whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want. And for the stupid program I need to do work from home, there's Virtual PC. (Which runs much smoother with the RAM amped up, btw.)

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 12:33 AM   #480
RaviPachai18

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Linux is a *nix derivative, on which both OS X and WinXP are based, these days. Sure, OS X (as Apple always has) says "screw the crap that came before" and WinXP (as MS always has) says "Screw the bloat, backward compatibility is required", but at the end of the day, they're both each company's version of BSD.
It's a bit late right now and I've got an early morning so I will post later with more specifics. It is my understanding that the NT line (Windows XP inclusive) has no relation whatsoever to BSD.