Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-20-2004, 12:05 AM   #481
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
It's a bit late right now and I've got an early morning so I will post later with more specifics. It is my understanding that the NT line (Windows XP inclusive) has no relation whatsoever to BSD.
That would be disputed by the BSD code (of which I've no examples, but I'm gonna guess we've all heard about) that's been discovered in the WindowsNT code...

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #482
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
That would be disputed by the BSD code (of which I've no examples, but I'm gonna guess we've all heard about) that's been discovered in the WindowsNT code...

Dave
Funny, I hadn't heard a thing about this. After doing some research on slashdot, which generally is not impartial to microsoft, I can't find ANY evidence that anyone would support as bold a claim as yours. Yes, some very low-level operations may have been derived from BSD code, which is completely fine according to the license and any code that has been used is enclosed in a copyright tag. To claim that these portions form the core of Windows NT is so far off the mark, it has absolutely no substance to it.

I can assure you that if this was the case, there would lawsuits flying back and forth at a rate you wouldn't even be able to keep track of! After looking on slashdot, with all those GNU guru's, I came to two conclusions:

1) There is serious doubt to whether the Windows NT code actually contains any BSD code.

2) If the Windows NT code does contain BSD code, it is used to provide interoperability between Windows and *nix systems and it is used according to the license agreement.

Windows NT/2000/XP is not a derivative of Unix. Not by any standards.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #483
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
(hmm, funny how there are GUI Mac clones for PCs and no PC clones for Macs, that's because the Mac interface is so good).
Ummm...actually, Marc...I have seen many original Windows themes "ported" over to work in the Mac interface. As for your other GUI-related arguments, I can agree with you that the standard Windows "classic" theme is ugly as hell (unless you can mod it properly), but with XP, awesome graphics and themes abound. Many of these (and I have even seen the standard Windows XP look) get ported to Mac. Granted there are also a lot of Mac looks ported to Windows...in good reason. Many of the Mac themes you can download simply kick ass. But you have to find the right one. The standard Mac looks sucks, IMHO. Find a cool theme.

But I still hate Macs for the way they function, the resizing, etc. All this was mentioned earlier. I used a Mac for 4 years before "switching" to Windows. I will never go back. Plain and simple.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #484
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Nate, unless you used OS X for a decent period of time, that's nothing to judge the platform on because the previous OSes were totally different than OS X. When Jobs returned to the company in the late '90s, the first thing he did was develop OS X because Mac's previous OSes were severely outdated and beaten by Windows. You probably used those as a basis for saying Macs are crap today, in 2004.

As for resizing, that's such a minor issue that it's a joke anyone uses that excuse as a reason not to like the OS. You can resize by dragging the lower right corner, just like Windows, or using the button at the top left. It hasn't annoyed me once. And you mean to tell me Windows has no little quirks like this? Hell, we're talking about an OS where you have to go to START to SHUTDOWN. Nothing is perfect!

In fact, I'll TELL you why some of you are making up lame excuses about why you don't like Macs: you aren't used to them, they are different, and you have everything working on Windows so you don't want to consider something else. You feel like you know all the tricks and inner workings of Windows, and you refuse to take a step back and lose that "expert" status and control you feel with Windows. You also have been fed false stereotypes about prices, compatability, etc. Admit it, that's many of you.

Last edited by Marc; 03-24-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #485
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Honostly, Marc, I have used OSX quite a bit. My dad received a Mac through the school he works for. I spent quite a bit of time helping set things up so he would know how to use it, and just plain exploring the OS. And, I DO NOT LIKE IT. I don't see the point in arguing about it. You obviously think it's the best thing since sliced bread, and have since disowned Windows. Whatever. We are all entitled to our opinions. Hell, the only reason I even entered this debate is to express my heart-felt opinion that the STANDARD OSX theme blows! Use a Mac all you like. I'm just urging you to find a better theme. That's all.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:32 PM   #486
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Can't wait till I get my Mac.

:+

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #487
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Marc... check this out:

*LINKY*

tumblr | twitter
Old 03-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #488
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate
Honostly, Marc, I have used OSX quite a bit. My dad received a Mac through the school he works for. I spent quite a bit of time helping set things up so he would know how to use it, and just plain exploring the OS. And, I DO NOT LIKE IT. I don't see the point in arguing about it. You obviously think it's the best thing since sliced bread, and have since disowned Windows. Whatever. We are all entitled to our opinions. Hell, the only reason I even entered this debate is to express my heart-felt opinion that the STANDARD OSX theme blows! Use a Mac all you like. I'm just urging you to find a better theme. That's all.
That is exactly what I said to Marc when he decided to message me on MSN for the first time in 1.5 years to give me a stern "talking to" about this. I made two pretty sophisticated moves on the iMac at my high school using iMovie. One about 3-minutes, the other about 10. I probably spent probably 20 or 30 hours on the 3-minute one... maybe 10 or so on the 10-minute one (the 3 minute one was a movie video with a lot of coordination and syncing involved, and I made it first so there was a learning curve time). Additionally I was an webmaster intern at my university's newspaper, and they used an iMac to create their web pages. I told you before, I'VE USED IT EXTENSIVELY. I DO NOT LIKE IT. STOP TRYING TO CHANGE OUR MINDS. I know Window, I love it. I have played around with Macs. I hate them. GET OVER IT.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 03-24-2004 at 09:09 PM.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #489
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

And to shut down my computer I press the "shut down" key on my keyboard.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #490
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

...Back to desktops...

As always, click to make it larger than normal:

Old 03-29-2004, 10:02 PM   #491
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Here is mine... I had to reformat both of my hard drives

Nate: I can't get UXTheme.dll to work.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29th march 2004.jpg (33.3 KB, 46 views)

tumblr | twitter
Old 03-29-2004, 10:18 PM   #492
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Never mind Nate... I got version 1.5.1 and got it working:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29th march 2004.jpg (32.8 KB, 46 views)

tumblr | twitter
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #493
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Glad to hear you got it working. What visual style is that?

Old 03-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #494
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Its called Abyblue. I got it from here .

I added my AquaDock. Now I'm happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29th march 2004.jpg (32.6 KB, 44 views)

tumblr | twitter

Last edited by Heathen; 03-30-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #495
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Thanks for the link.