Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 04-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default Mickelson finally wins a major

Great to see him finally get that monkey off of his back. Lots of other great storylines, too.

What a great tourney this one was. Most of the leaders played the front 9 pretty poorly (the lead was at -4 at one point), and then Mickelson, Ernie Els, and KJ Choi started just tearing up the back nine, shooting it at 31 (5 under), 33, and 31, respectively. And while they were doing that, Padraig Harrington and Kirk Triplett aced the 16th hole ten minutes a part. The 18-foot putt that Phil squeezed in the back door to win was just all guile. You just sort of NEW it was going in, as if he could will it into the hole.

Another guy who shot 31 on the back nine was Casey Wittenberg, who finished at even par, the lowest 72-hole score by an amateur since the sixties (he's a 19-year-old freshman at Oklahoma State). So, that seems to be a name to remember, and since he already qualifies for next year's field as a top 14 finisher; that means that there will be an extra amateur in next year's field (assuming he doesn't go pro by then, or doesn't win or finish second in the US amateur champtionship again this year, which he might).

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

That was great. I have been a big Mickelson fan ever since I started liking golf and I would have to say the final round of the masters was my most memorable sports moment of my life.

To be honest, going into the final day I expected Mickelson to choke. I didn't want to see it, but reality tells you he will choke.

But, he pulled through and watching the majors the full way through was so exciting. It is the best sports moment I have ever seen.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Definitely ellis, I think everyone was expecting him to choke. But after seeing him struggle at the start, he made quite the comeback. You could tell he was a different Michelson on the back nine, not the one we were use to.

Isn't it funny that ever since Tiger decided to leave his coach Butch Harmon he hasn't won a major and Michelson picks up Butch as his coach...and wins his first major?

I'm really happy for Michelson, he's proved himself worthy of being the best golfer in the world and if he continues to use a sensible strategy then he will win more majors, and more tournaments in general. For the first time in a long time, it's possible that he is threatening Tiger's #1 spot. Though, that could take a while! We'll see.

But congrats to Michelson!
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, after the put on 15, you could feel the come back.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #5
dizzle
Grizzled Veteran

dizzle is on a distinguished road

I'M SO HAPPY! I DIDN'T THINK HE WAS GONNA WIN A MAJOR UNTIL HE WAS 50.gO MICKELSON.

~A. Coyle~
dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
For the first time in a long time, it's possible that he is threatening Tiger's #1 spot. Though, that could take a while! We'll see.

I was thinking that too. I think Mickleson can overtake Woods this year IF: a) He wins two more majors. b) He wins a handful more tour events. C) Tiger continues to struggle in stroke play. If he wins ONE more major and a handful of non-majors, and Tiger continues to struggle, it will be close. Two more majors though....how could the formulators of the World Golf Ranking not give it to him?

It seems a stretch, and it is, but lost in the Masters win is the fact the Mickelson is red hot right now: Eight tournaments, !Seven! top tens, and two wins.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Tiger is really stinking it up right now. :uhoh:

Congrats to Phil. I heard he slept in the green jacket and wore it to the Tonight Snow...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote