Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default Arizona screws Cal and USC at the same time

UofA!! Proud of my Wildcats, today, no doubt, but their upset over Cal pretty much kills any chance the Pac Ten had of getting a team in the nat'l title game. It would've meant more to USC if (assuming they win today vs Oregon) they played a 1-loss Cal squad. As it is, Louisville and Auburn losing this week opened the door slightly and Florida just barely escaped South Carolina.

Anyway, Arizona's win (yeah!) is probably most helpful to Texas, if anyone.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

That was glorious, wasn't it #99?

Cal losing is always a good thing, SOS be damned.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

That was a good game alright....congrats from a Sun Devil.

Texas is getting thumped right now too. This was the weekend of upsets. So far all the favorites in the PAC 10 have lost or are losing, except USC which just started.

I thought for sure Florida was toast too. Who knows, Rutgers might work their way up to the top yet.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Arkansas is the third best team in the nation right now whether Texas and USC wins tonight or not. If the Trojans played Arkansas now they'd get run off the field. Big, big difference between Arkansas with McFadden and Arkansas without him.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Texas is no longer in the BCS picture. They dont have a shot at the Big 12 title unless McCoy comes back, and from the facial expressions he was having after he was injured it didnt look too good.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Snead looked all right. The wide outs dropped a few balls, and Young/Charles didn't have their A-game today. But that pass defense is terrible. When they're not picking off passes they're giving up ridiculous YAC or open tosses.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I was at the UofA game and thought Cal were nothing special bar two big plays(punt return and the long run). Arizona's defense kept them pretty much in check.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
Texas is no longer in the BCS picture.
Boy, that's the truth. Their only hope was to win out. The Big 12 is too pathetic for Texas to get any further consideration.

Right now, it's looking like Arkansas would hand Florida their hides in an SEC championship game, but the Razorbacks still have to face LSU. Could be tricky. An LSU win in that game may, believe it or not, allow USC right back into the discussion.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Well Texas will probably have a shot at the Big 12 title unless they lose to A&M which would give Oklahoma the South. Can't say I'm too thrilled with the prospects of a Nebraska team that lost to Oklahoma State making a BCS game. Oklahoma is probably the best team in the Big 12 right now even without Peterson. The Sooners should be one-loss right now. Too bad the refs hosed them in the Oregon game or else they'd be right there with Florida, Arkansas and Southern Cal right now.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
Texas is no longer in the BCS picture. They dont have a shot at the Big 12 title unless McCoy comes back, and from the facial expressions he was having after he was injured it didnt look too good.
Not for nothing, but one would like to think that when you score 42 points your defense should be good enough to win the game if you are a legit contender.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Not for nothing, but one would like to think that when you score 42 points your defense should be good enough to win the game if you are a legit contender.
Agreed.

I know McCoy got hurt but he doesn't play defense.

I don't know how Alex can say Arkansas is better than USC when they already played and the Razorbacks got smoked.

And you guys jump on me for my statements?

:lol:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Arkansas with McFadden is a MUCH different team than Arkansas without him. I'd love to see those two play again. If I had to put money on one of them putting up 50 again, it would be on the Hawgs.

Besides it's not as though the precedent isn't there. Someone please explain to me again how Notre Dame was one loss in '93 and lost out in the MNC race to Florida State, who they beat?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, you’re entitled to your opinion that Arkansas is a better team than USC (however flawed the reasoning may be IMO), but are you also saying that Arkansas deserves to go over USC provided both win out? The word deserve implicates accountability to me…so I say no. That’s where I would take issue with you…if you believe they deserve it. Remember when people talked about OSU possibly being better than PSU down the stretch last year? How much did you like that? I go both routes: OSU lost so they were INFERIOR and deserved NOTHING….PERIOD. Only way to do it.

As far as 1993 goes…

I think the reasoning there was ND beat FSU in South Bend. ND then lost to BC the next week while FSU notched two quality wins the rest of the regular season. When you lose plays a role…always has. FSU beat an undefeated Nebraska in the Orange Bowl while ND beat a lesser team in Texas A&M down in the Cotton Bowl. SOS strongly favored FSU over ND despite the Seminoles losing at South Bend. SOS also favored an undefeated West Virginia over a 1-loss FSU as well as a 1-loss ND so in reality…the Mountaineers should have played Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.

That was under the Bowl Coalition… not the BCS or a playoff. If the BCS had been in place that year it would have surely featured West Virginia (11-0) vs. Nebraska (11-0) in the national title game….as I’ve stated. Interestingly enough, both WVU and Nebraska lost in their bowl games giving FSU the NC in the AP poll. So the BCS would have produced a national champion not named FSU or Notre Dame (crowing the winner of the Neb-WVU game) yet the tradition of the bowls exposed Nebraska and WVU as lesser teams (cough…bowls work if you take ‘em with a grain of salt).

Here are the differences between FSU over ND in 1993 (not that I agree with it entirely) and this year (with USC and Arkansas)…

1. USC beat Arkansas in Dixie. ND beat FSU in South Bend. That favors the case of FSU over ND as opposed to this year cuz the Seminoles lost on the road. WHERE you lose plays a big role in my eyes. That seems to be a generational issue as well as an SEC issue cuz the younger crowd and SEC lovers (often one in the same) seem to dismiss location too easily…IMO. Grant it, that’s not much of a case cuz a win is a win but I guess that was some of the figuring.

2. The SOS heavily favored FSU over ND back in 1993. Right now USC is #2 in SOS while the Razorbacks are #81. Ok…read that again. Ok…read it another time. Plus the SOS looks like a wash…at best…the rest of the way for both squads.

And for those who would point to a playoff back in 1993 figure this one out (before bowls)…

West Virginia 11-0
Nebraska 11-0
FSU 10-1
Notre Dame 10-1
Texas A&M 10-1

That’s 5 squads. Who do we leave out considering the debate Alex stirred is FSU or ND for the MNC when the BCS would have crowned a lesser champion (WVU or Nebraska) and a playoff could have possibly left out FSU or ND (the AP's two finalists)?

Just a perfect example of why the BCS is fake, the polls are meant to be taken lightly, and a playoff isn’t the answer. Just watch the games and have fun.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 11-14-2006 at 03:33 PM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Yeah, you’re entitled to your opinion that Arkansas is a better team than USC (however flawed the reasoning may be IMO), but are you also saying that Arkansas deserves to go over USC provided both win out? The word deserve implicates accountability to me…so I say no. That’s where I would take issue with you…if you believe they deserve it. Remember when people talked about OSU possibly being better than PSU down the stretch last year? How much did you like that? I go both routes: OSU lost so they were INFERIOR and deserved NOTHING….PERIOD. Only way to do it.
Agreed. Well said. No one doubts that the Hogs have improved since week one, but unless they play USC again and beat them, USC should still be rated higher. That's the beauty of head-to-head competition. Playoffs, anyone (ducks projectile fruit)?
Sports Again?!